#1 mickyh

mickyh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:09 PM

I have been rebuilding the mini, so a new heelboard, inner and outer sills etc. Just re-fitting the rear subframe and the last bolt into the heelbiard and the inner nut has come off. By pulling on the bolt I managed to get it free from the loose nut, but what do I do now???
Looks like I will have to cut into the sill, perhaps I can drill a access hole and manipulate a nut into place; and the a rubber gromit, as I will need future access.

Any ideas??

#2 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:11 PM

Are you able to fit a Rivnut in there if you drop the subframe again?

#3 mickyh

mickyh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:16 PM

What's a rivnut, I was thinking helicoil but no good.

#4 Loco69

Loco69

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:20 PM

This happened to me I cut s hole inside the companion box and located the loose nut. Then I put the bolt through the subframe and re attached the nut then I gave it a couple of tack welds to make sure it stayed in place, then I welded a patch plate over the hole I'd cut to gain access

#5 mickyh

mickyh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:27 PM

Just googled rivetnuts, looks like I have two viable options; try a rivet nut fix first; then if not good then we are cutting into some new panels, here's hoping the rivet nut works. Any tips on the best ones to get and from where?

#6 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:10 AM

best way is weld a nut on a washer, drill a hole big enough to take the nut  then aline with a subframe mount making sure its all square, and weld it in place. take mount off then weld around rest of washer, grind flat and fit subframe, this i see as then only really acceptable bodge. a rivnut is not good advice ok for minor fixing but a subframe really come on. 

#7 mickyh

mickyh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:21 AM

I see you point, I have never used a rivnut; looks like they are only good enough for panels etc.

#8 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:48 AM

Cut a hole in top of the inner sill box in the companion bin. Doesn't have to be big and just put a nut on the back. Job done. It's hidden and you can then fill it with wax

#9 mickyh

mickyh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:26 AM

Yes that does see like the best access, weld the nut and weld a patch; or though I might leave it open for the next time 😂

#10 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:04 PM

Yes that does see like the best access, weld the nut and weld a patch; or though I might leave it open for the next time 😂

That's what I have done. Pumped it full of wax too

#11 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:25 PM

Under no circumstances use a Rivnut there. They are very good at what they do, but they are dangerously weak as regards attaching subframe or indeed any mechanical parts.

The ideas proposed above are good. If you can get some weld on the nut to secure it firmly in place that will make life easier in the future.

In view of this unfortunate experience, I suggest that anyone fitting a heelboard should start by fully welding the captive nuts so they can never, ever come loose. A couple of minutes of extra welding time may save much aggro later.

#12 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:20 PM

Just googled rivetnuts, looks like I have two viable options; try a rivet nut fix first; then if not good then we are cutting into some new panels, here's hoping the rivet nut works. Any tips on the best ones to get and from where?

I used some for new seat mountings on the crossbeam.

#13 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:10 PM

I had to cut through the stiffener on Project Erm to sort out a captive nut. Gutted i had to do that but currently thinking about making a nut plate to drop through for both captive nuts. 

On Paddy i added extra weld to stop this from happening on him.

#14 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:07 PM

Whistler, please pay attention to safety warnings. As I said above, Rivnute ARE NOT NEARLY STRONG ENOUGH for subframe mountings. You may just about get away with them on the seat unless you are very heavy. They are great for mounting fuse boxes, pipework, trim and other lightly stressed items.

#15 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:21 PM

Come on whistler use your noggin, you wouldn't use a riv nut to hold the subframe on. Not to mention they are generally Ali so you'll get your biometalic corrosion etc. Keep you riv nuts to none essential less stressed bits like headlight bowls etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users