Photo

Mot Major Failure - Worth Carrying Out Repairs?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 feybrand

feybrand

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:08 AM

As a side note i think people need to realise that the Mini is a classic that in most cases is 20-30 years old If you can't weld or do basic mechanics ..or at least have the will to learn how to then you can't keep them running and on the road without deep pockets.

#32 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,372 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:00 AM

There's no grey area, a vehicle's identity belongs with the chassis, which is the shell for Minis. Of course, if the replacement has an identity you could use that.

"Superscribed area" probably means it's covered in yellow crayon. Depends how much you want a Mini - do some costings and see what you could buy for the same money. A mug welder and a complete floor may well be the best answer. Better the devil you know as they say.

Mug welder = predictive text, but it fits better so it can stay.

#33 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:20 PM

Surely one of the pleasures of owning a classic car is that it provides a good excuse to learn new skills such as welding?

#34 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:29 PM

Surely one of the pleasures of owning a classic car is that it provides a good excuse to learn new skills such as welding?

And buying new tools, and grazing your knuckles and spending large amounts of money :D

#35 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:00 AM

Yes, but we must secretly enjoy doing these things, or we would not do them? Or are we all masochists, while Alec was a sadist? Truth is, I don't know the answer!

#36 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:21 PM

I like when you've spent all day fighting with something awkward then a neighbour walks by and says "ah you can work so easily on those old cars", makes me want to punch them! Lol.

#37 DeanP

DeanP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:24 PM

Yes, but we must secretly enjoy doing these things, or we would not do them? Or are we all masochists, while Alec was a sadist? Truth is, I don't know the answer!

My neighbour thinks I'm stupid. I'm inclined to agree. :)

#38 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:56 PM

To an economist or a bean counter we are definitely all stupid. But to someone, engineer or artist, or both, who has a fine sense of feel for exotic machinery, we are, I assure you, quite sane and sensible. The Mini it its day was up amongst the exotica, in terms of its handling qualities, despite being cheap and cheerful, and remains a thing to be admired by those in the know.

Note that economists and their underlings, the bean-counting accountants, achieve nothing at all in the creative sense, and are generally a hindrance to society.

#39 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:52 AM

The pleasure is in restoring an engineering icon and then getting the pleasure of the retro driving experience.

Personally I get a great sense of achievement from a job done properly and it gives pride whe, for example, you are filling up with petrol and someone comes up and says nice things about your restoration work. It would not be the same if someone else had done most of the work.

#40 RichMPiBlue

RichMPiBlue

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:53 AM

Defiantly worth a rebuild all day long. Save the City E! 

#41 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:00 AM

all the same now, used to scrap them when this bad but then they were worth 200quid oe 300 in bits, just got another, now you cant and floors for example are cheap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users