#2 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:43 AM

External? I use poorboys. But the quality of the shine is also down to a damn good polish!

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:47 AM

Meguiars carnuba wax

#4 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:24 PM

I've started using Naviwax ultimate. Carnuba based.

Very easy to use. Hand applied - I used to DA apply Meguirs stuff before.

Looks great, sheets as well as the fancy Meguirs but don't know the longevity yet. Brings out the metallic fleck well, seen it on red and it seems to deepen the colour a small touch.

#5 MiniGrin

MiniGrin

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Local Club: Loud 'N' Lairy MOC (Sheffield)

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:58 PM

Personally I always go for a more basic wax (given its sole job is protection NOT shine), I use Turrtle Wax Original in liquid or paste form.
If its been over 2 years since last done or if its hazed, id recommend first of all (washing and drying :P then): 
Step 1 Clean: Applying a basic soft compound, try not to spend over £15 for 500ml as you will struggle to notice the difference, apply with DA/orbital polisher as usual or by hand using mid pressure and get 10 stripes/circles over a single spot (i.e you have rubbed 10 times over), then buff off with a microfiber. This step was to remove oxidised/contaminated/rough surface.
Step 2 is to Polish - add shine:  I use Autoglym Super Resin, this stage brings back the shine (as after compounding it will look worse but it gives a clean slate and its at the other stages you will see the benefit), same as above for application only let this one dry on and haze before buffing off. Step 3 deeper scratch repair: Next up use a colour polish, I tend to go for the Turtle wax Colour Polish matched to the car in question, apply this by hand only and like you would a wax so light pressure circular motions of 1 or 2 inch diameter, wait to haze and buff off only this time buff off and continue to buff to really bring out the shine. This stage was to fill any remaining minor scratches and swirl marks that have not been dealt with by the previous layers. Your car will at this point look its best, However this shine you have produced with all that hard work will not act more than a month if that, SO we wax.
Step4 - Protect: Waxing will add a protective layer, I use as stated above a Turtle Wax Original / Metallic wax and apply as with the previous step only this time 2 - 4 inch circles. A final step you could do is to add further protection with a product such as Autoglyms "deep gloss protection", but this will knock the edge off the shine however this will last A LONG TIME, here you apply by wiping over the surface of the paint, waiting half an hours and buffing off.
A final few bits, Never do any of the above in full sun or rain, if any product will not buff off and is dry spray with a light mist of water an buff off rather than buffing harder, Always use car shampoo and never fairy liquid and finally if at any point you drop your cloth GET A NEW ONE or risk grinding grit into the paint (even if it looks okay or was just for 5 seconds - 5 second rule is only for food!)

Im sure someone on here will have different views on how its done and it is all about finding what works best for you (after all classic car ownership should be fun and not a chore!), for me this works well and from it I have my own car detailing business. My views on pricey products are that for the most part they are a waste of money!! Yes there is a limit to how cheep you go, id steer clear of home brands, but if your spending over £25 for 500ml your probably not going to see a result for that extra money.

James :), J Newsam Detailing and Autocare Ltd.

#6 Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:35 PM

For polishing my car, I use http://www.acrylicwerks.com/

I haven't found a product invented that can transform a car like this one can. And that includes plastic, chrome and rubber surfaces.

#7 RooBoonix

RooBoonix

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:45 AM

I use 3M or Farecla polishing compounds for getting out scratches and scuffs, or if it's been a while since last valeted. I then use Poorboys polish and wax, I am a big fan of the Poorboys stuff.

#8 mk1coopers

mk1coopers

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:04 PM

IF the paintwork is in good condition (no micro blisters or raised defects) I'd recommend a clay bar clean before any other stages, this will lift a lot of contamination from the paint (you don't say if it's a solid colour or a base and clear coat) then applications of polish / waxes / sealers as required I use poor boys / chemical guys / finishkare from this website

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk

After everything it gets a coat of of a LSA (last stage application) product such as Finishkare #425 ultra slick polywipe to help it stay slick, I only use microfibre drying towels and edge less polishing cloths on paint these days, never a blade or leather

#9 Twincam

Twincam

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:52 PM

You can get some clay bars which only need water as a lubricant or even still, a clay mitt!

I used to love using Autosmart Wax however I've found a love for Nipponshine Soft 99.

Fk1000p and Colli 476s are good too. Look at your shampoo too as some will strip the protection off...

Edited by Twincam, 20 May 2017 - 11:53 PM.

#10 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:58 AM

Don't use clay mitts, they're awful! I've also had every pro detailer tell me to stay away from them. Use water and car shampoo to lubricate, you only need the clay to glide over the paintwork, not rub into it.

#11 Miki Leyland

Miki Leyland

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:54 PM

I tried this one after reading about it here, and do not want to try any other

http://www.carcarepa...uto-balm-250-ml

#12 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:23 PM

Always a big variety of responses to polish / wax questions.

I have used many over the years but predominantly Autoglym / Megs, however I do like the Poorboys which I find is not particularly long lasting but an absolute breeze to apply and remove - Even in sunlight / heat!

#13 superhuhn

superhuhn

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Local Club: MiniAIX (Aachener Minifreunde)

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:39 PM

*lol* I got me the posh "Austintacious" wax from Dodo Juice because of its name - and apply with hands after a good wash,then polish off with a soft, fluffy microfibre cloth.

Very amateur, I know, but then again, my Mini is far from Show`n`Shine anyway... :P

(love the pearly effect when it's raining though)

#14 Carvell

Carvell

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:41 PM

Built Hamber Double Speed Wax

#15 eric.sen

eric.sen

Mini Mad

• Noobies