Photo

Residents Of Northamptonshire, Lend Me Your Ears (And Words Of Advice!)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:42 PM

Hello folks

Due to unexpected circumstances earlier this year, I was made redundant from my job in Aberdeens oil industry.  The industry is on its knees and has been for three years now with no bright future expected for years to come.  The job market is in tatters and even unrelated industries are suffering as they relied on big oil earners spending money with them, which simply isn't happening anymore.  In order to pay the bills (and get off of the pitifully small amount Jobseekers Allowance provides) I have recently started working for a well known supermarket and so far, I'm hating it and I can feel my brain melting as I stack shelf after shelf, day in, day out.  As a result, my fiancé and I are considering a move away from Aberdeen to start a fresh and we are considering Northamptonshire as a potential final destination.

Our reasons for this are that I have wanted to work in motorsport for as long as I can remember, however with the lucrative oil industry on my doorstep, I stayed in my home area instead of moving.  Looking back I now regret this but my time in oil & gas engineering has given me lots of transferable skills and with my knowledge of car building and modification, I feel I could get something in the motorsport industry of Northamptonshire. 

Now, as I have no real experience of the area (having only ever visited Silverstone as a child) or indeed living in England, I do not know what it is like to live in and what we should expect.  Housing seems to be incredibly cheap in comparison to Aberdeen, so we could afford to sell our house and get one much larger and more modern with ease which is a massive attraction.

So anyone got any comments, suggestions or general chat related to any of the above?  Any areas or towns to avoid or is it all just lovely and idyllic :lol:

It would be a massive help to get some local knowledge to help influence our decision. :)

#2 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:34 PM

Avoid Corby!

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:41 PM

motorsport jobs are poorly paid.

go for it.

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:50 PM

I have a retired friend and ex-neighbour who moved to Hardingstone a village in Northamptonshire to be near his son a few years back. His son moved there first because it was much cheaper to buy a house there than in Surrey where he grew up. I have visited them a couple of times since and it seems like a reasonably nice area and has good links to major motorways, etc so I would think a large area is accessible for jobs, etc, including the Silverstone and Rockingham Speedway areas for motorsport.

Edited by mab01uk, 20 May 2017 - 09:52 PM.

#5 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:18 AM

Thanks gents! I'm aware motorsport jobs aren't 'well' paid depending on the type you go for but it's a dam sight better than what I'm on at the moment! Not looking to make my millions, just looking for a job that I actually have an interest in and to set up base for future family plans. Aberdeen is becoming less and less the place I want that to be.

#6 lordyoung1980

lordyoung1980

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:58 PM

Avoid Corby!

I would argue that comment. I'm not from Corby but have lived here from the mid 80s after moving from Sunderland. And to be honest,it's never been so good as it is now. I know it's had its lows with crime and violence but things have moved on for the better. The scum that made the town a misery in past years are slowly dying out( sometimes literally). The town is going through a massive regeneration like never before,driven in part as a commuter town for London as we are a hour by train. I would recommend it over some of the other towns like Kettering which used to be nice but is getting like the Corby of old and Well let's not talk about Wellingborough.

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:22 PM

Before she passed away, my mother-in-law lived in Wellingborough. Say no more  ;D .

#8 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:52 PM

Yep Wellingborough is a **** hole, lived here 25 years, I should know :lol:

#9 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:09 AM

Not Northampton, but Acespeed were (very) recently looking for a mechanic on Facebook

http://www.acespeed.co.uk/

#10 AlexMozza

AlexMozza

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Local Club: Not Yet

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:39 PM

motorsport jobs are poorly paid.

go for it.

Having worked in motor sport for 6 seasons, pay is crap,hours are long.
I don't do it anymore, but I do miss it. There are easier ways to earn a living!

#11 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:08 AM

My son works in F1 and he earns a lot of money. He is a design consultant to a major F1 team in Northants.

#12 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:13 AM

My son works in F1 and he earns a lot of money. He is a design consultant to a major F1 team in Northants.

see the word CONSULTANT they all do.

that is not a job.

#13 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:25 AM

I beg to differ.
He earns a lot because of the pressures involved. It is not unusual for him to have to work 70+ hours in a week if there is a design problem to be resolved before the next race.
He also happens to be very good at the job.

#14 ckneller321

ckneller321

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:51 PM

Buckingham would be a good shout. It's a lovely place and it's ideally located for Buckinghamshire, Northamptonshire and Oxfordshire; 3 counties with lots of motorsport companies in.

And as someone who works in motorsport not as a consultant or contractor and with many friends in the same position I can confirm that we're not poorly paid. We do ok so don't be put off by people saying you won't earn a decent wage. Chances are you will... and you'll love your job too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users