43 replies to this topic

#16 ChrisKelly

ChrisKelly

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:18 AM

buznout! wonderful to meet another local! Happy to share info, stories and repairs in the future!....I hope yours is running well!??

bmv133,

Thanks again mate, this information and the images are really helpful! I have downloaded the manual and am currently reading up on the section pertaining to my issue. The manual seems really informative, particularly regarding the location of all the parts we are discussing.

The IACV that is hanging free in my car, looks like it is missing the centre pin and sliding sleeve that the other one has. So, I am guessing I can pull this one out. 

I believe the grey connector in the foot well is the diagnostic and immobiliser reprogramming plug. This is where I was able to reset a key fob for the alarm using a device from the UK.

I have tomorrow off, so I plan to take the information you kindly provided and trace the piping through the engine bay and locate the parts you've described. I will also attempt to find the other end of the wires from canister purge valve (mystery solenoid). I'm not sure where in the loom they should have been connected, as the plug remains connected to the valve, but the cables have been cut. I can also take an image of the air conditioner parts you've enquired about.

Thank you all very much again,

Chris

#17 bmv133

bmv133

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:15 AM

Ok, I´m happy to help you ....

About grey connector... check  http://metropower.or.../Manual_5AS.pdf

I ´ve heard about a external device to reset a key fob... but I prefer ACR4 because you can match inmo a and ecu too

Be carefull with ACR4.. to full diagnosis and functions you need:

- IPOD with Ikeys

- harness/ lead 30214600, for instance,...http://www.ebay.ie/i...17e9gaPGVZI2_Bw

Regards, Jaime

#18 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:19 AM

Sorry FlyingScot, Yes, if you mean the 16 pin socket adjacent to the steering column in the footwell? I used it to reprogram a key fob, is that the one?

Yes that's the one. On a true MPi it has the MEMS ECU, 5AS (alarm/ immobiliser) and airbag communications.

FS

#19 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:17 AM

Looks like the solenoid has bypassed the IACV valve and is most definitely not a standard part! and likely the reason for your troubles. However, you might find all sorts of other troubles if this is how it was 'fixed'. why would you not fix it using the correct parts? it's not as if they are no longer available, or expensive (in relative terms).

Return the IACV control to original and see where that takes you, and go from there. No point moving forward with what you have until you do so.

#20 ChrisKelly

ChrisKelly

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:42 AM

Hi Sproket and bmv133,

As you suggested, the IACV was bypassed through the mystery solenoid. Whoever it was, cut the piping coming from the air inlet to the IACV, placing the new mystery valve in-line between the upper air inlet manifold and the bottom of the IACV.....frigging butchers.

I have thus removed the mystery valve, and re-routed the piping as described by bmv133 and the manual, to go from the upper air intake straight to the bottom of the IACV. The IACV that was in place is now also connected via the blue plug, back into the ECU.

As soon as the ACR4 arrives, I'll commence testing and report back.

Thanks Lads,

Chris 

#21 ChrisKelly

ChrisKelly

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:47 AM

Hi bmv133,

Please find attached the images of the ECU plugs you were after. Let me know if they don't show exactly what you were after.

Chris

Attached Files

#22 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:35 AM

I can't help at all in regards to your problem above, but when it's running right again there is a group of us in Wollongong that do regular events if you're interested? 

http://www.minisinthegong.com.au/

#23 bmv133

bmv133

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:57 PM

Thank so much for the photos....

To complete useful manuals about Rover Mini Mpi, download:

In my opinion, all modifications in sensors with an mpi ecu are dangerous a with unexpected results...even with original 

one´s could occur problems...LOL,... if you need equivalents references, ask me, please...

-----------------------------------------------------------
I'd like to share with you a curiosity/investigation

You can check the full explanation it at 

I´ve compared yours pinouts in ecu connectors with mine, and although I can´t view all wires in your pictures, I suppose they are the same 

wires, the same colors, the same pin numbers...If you can, check it using files c158.jpg and c159.jpg

In summary, our air con systems installations are equals, but different from original ones as you can check in 

AC_japan_page24.jpg (Rave_CD_elxn970e.pdf) and Blackconnector_page19.jpg (electrical_cdxn990e.pdf). The explanation is in 

......................................................................................
"AIR CONDITIONING OPERATION (JAPAN)
The air conditioning system may only be operated with the starter switch in
position II. The position of the temperature control determines the threshold at
which the system operates and the blower switch permits selection of four
different blower motor speeds.
MEMS ECM
The thermistor monitors the temperature at the evaporator and provides
feedback on S and SR wires to the A/C thermostat. Dependent on the level of
cooling required the temperature control can be adjusted, providing input on YR
and YB wires to the A/C thermostat. The A/C thermostat supplies an aircon
request signal to the ECM on a GW wire via the dual pressure switch. The ECM
responds by providing an earth on a RW wire to one side of the compressor
clutch relay coil and one side of the condenser fan relay coil.
Air conditioning switch and condenser fan
When the air conditioning switch is operated, battery voltage is switched from
fuse A6 in the passenger compartment fuse box on a G wire via the air
conditioning switch on a GW wire to one side of the condenser fan relay coil,
compressor clutch relay coil and the aircon blower relay coil (located within the
relay module). As a result the compressor clutch relay energizes, switching
battery voltage from fuse A6 via the relay contacts to the compressor clutch.
Since the compressor clutch mounting is connected to earth, the clutch will
operate to engage the compressor. The condenser fan relay is simultaneously
energized when the compressor clutch relay is energized, switching battery
voltage from fuse A9 on a U wire via the condenser fan relay contacts to the
condenser fan on a U wire. Since the other side of the condenser fan is
connected to earth, the fan will operate."

Our pins 19 y 35 in Black Connector (c159) are empty, without wires.... so, ECu cannot control air con system and, in certain circumstances it may be necessary:
- when you stop at traffic lights, the ecu must increase idle (the same as when the car is cold)
- when the machine is hot, the ecu must cut air con, to prevent machine damage

The only explanation I can find is that our system was not installed at the factory in England, but by the final distributor... it was very common on 1990's Rover Cars...

I wan´t to connect pin 19 y 35 in Black Connector to Air Con system as in AC_japan_page24.jpg, it is very simple, but I´m not sure of Rover Specifications and I'm afraid to damage the ECU if Rover Manuals are incorrect....

Do you know any other Rover Mini Mpi with Air Con to contrast information...?

Here, in Spain, it´s very strange....

Any information, would be appreciated....

Regards, Jaime

Attached Files

#24 ChrisKelly

ChrisKelly

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:05 AM

timmy850,

thanks for the kind invitation. That sounds like an obsolutely marvelous way to celecrate a real-life, operational mini! I shall keep this in mind and see if i can't attend a run with you guys. Sounds awesome.

Hi Jaime (bmv133),

The fact that you installed your own A/C is amazing! It scares me just thinking about it. Unfortunately the only other person I know might be buznout, who replied to this thread a little earlier. I think he lives in NSW as well. 

Anecdotally, I can say that when my problems began, I could get the car to stay running at start-up when I turned the air conditioner on! It lifted the idle speed somehow and the car would come to life. 

Now on to the good stuff....My ACR4 arrived today, and it made me feel almost professional. ;P Here is what I tested and found:

• logged into unit using MEM2J (is this correct?)
  • Cleared the error codes.
  • Tried to start car. Same issue.
  • Checked for error codes, there was none.
  • Ran a check on each actuator and device available in ACR4. It ran the check but didn't really say anything. No failure messages came up. I could, for example, hear it testing the fan, the fuel pump etc...how awesome is this unit!!
  • Then I entered the sensor reading area of the ACR4. I scrolled through all available sensors (images attached) pictures 3758 and 3759 show both "Crank Sync" and "Cam Signal" as "BAD"

So Sprocket, this looks like a great call on your behalf too! Does anything else in the sensor readouts look odd?

I now await my parts, with which I will start by replacing the Crank and Cam sensors.

If you guys spot anything else on the readouts that looks horrible, please let me know.

Thanks again lads,

Chris

Attached Files

#25 bmv133

bmv133

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

Hi again....you must take photos with the car on. These pictures show default values. Could you send a vídeo trying switch con the car.....?
After reconnecting ECU mkc104292 you must press 4 times quickly right keyfob button to deactivate inmo.
Regards,
Jaime

#26 bmv133

bmv133

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:10 PM

It´s correct.... the ecu model to Rover Mini Mpi in ACR4 is mems 2j.

If the car is switch off, cam signal and crank sync always shows BAD

You must check these sensors at the car on idle

Regards, Jaime

#27 bmv133

bmv133

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:11 PM

It´s correct.... the ecu model to Rover Mini Mpi in ACR4 is mems 2j.

If the car is switch off, cam signal and crank sync always shows BAD

You must check these sensors at the car on idle

Regards, Jaime

#28 ChrisKelly

ChrisKelly

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:32 PM

Hi Jaime,

hmmmm....this could be an issue, as I can get the car to stay on for more than 2 seconds. Would that be enough time for the unit to read the cam and crank sensor? The testing above was done with the ignition all the way on, too.

Just to confirm though, I am not in the error read-out screen, but the diagnostic sensor display area. For example, I could see the throttle position change when I depressed the accelerator pedal and I could also see the battery volts fluctuating slightly. It looked as if it was reading live data. 

#29 ChrisKelly

ChrisKelly

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:38 PM

sorry correction..." As i can't ​get the car to stay running for more than 2 seconds" ;P

#30 ChrisKelly

ChrisKelly

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:16 AM

Jaime,
As you mentioned, I watched the cam and frank sensor while the car ran for two seconds. Both went from saying BAD to GOOD. When the car cut out, they went back to BAD again.

As I am still waiting for both sensors, I have so far pulled the crank sensor out, cleaned it and put it back. It was covered in filings (as it is magnetic) and dirt. Still have to do the same to the cam sensor, however it is in a right royal nightmare of a position.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users