7 replies to this topic

#1 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:47 AM

If I was to find a suitable car not in the colour I prefer, what are he cost implications of a respray and is it worth doing so?

#2 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:24 PM

4 figures.
No

#3 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:45 PM

Ok, good to know. Thanks

#4 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:37 PM

Really depends on your expectations and what condition the original paint is? A colour change on a mini is not a simple job due to the interior having a lot of paint as body colour, if you can live with the wrong colour on the inside and the original body and paint is in good condition it shouldn't cost an arm and leg to paint.

#5 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:48 PM

Painting needs to come AFTER body restoration, which is likely to be necessary to a certain extent on any Mini that you are likely to find. At that point, your choice of colour has little impact on the cost, because typically it all has to be painted anyway, inside and out.

If you do buy one that has been restored CORRECTLY, it will have had several £1000 spent on paint etc already, and as suggested above, you will be spending as much again.

The other approach is to find one whose colour is not ideal, and live with it until it needs a rebuild, which will come sooner or later unless a phenomenally good restoration has been carried out. At that time you can have any colour(s) that you want.

If I were to acquire one, I would wait a couple of years to ensure that rust was not breaking out anywhere before thinking about painting it again. It would be heartbreaking to have rust come through fresh and expensive paint. Seen it more than once...

#6 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:23 AM

Thanks, sound advice. I will just focus on finding a car in a good condition as I can find for my budget and then when the time comes to rebuild I can think about colour etc

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:05 PM

The only way to do a proper colour change and one which won't devalue a classic car is to completely strip the car to a bare body-shell and re-paint the interior, underside, boot and under-bonnet areas as well as the basic outside.

If you completely strip it out yourself and do some basic preparation, you could get the re-paint done for c.£1800 to £2500.

#8 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:32 AM

I see a lot of prices for repaints being quoted at between 1500 and 3000 pounds? here in the states a good complete repaint is going to set you back at least $6000 and more typically?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users