33 replies to this topic

#1 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:37 PM

Those camera vans parked in laybys does it flash if they get you was at top of Hill and it appeared on the left i was just approaching 40 sign must have been doing mid 30's

#2 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:01 PM

No flash, but a nice picture with the speed indicated on it if you ask nicely >_<

Not long completed the naughty boy course for 34 in a 30 zone :shy:

#3 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,887 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:27 PM

They film, they don't take pictures. The sensor in the van then marks the recording with anything over the set limit. The 'picture' you get if you ask for it is a still of the recording.

#4 Rapidmini59

Rapidmini59

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Local Club: Minifreaks

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:07 AM

If your driving mid 30's speed and approaching a 40 sign

Question-were you in a 30 at the time of the mid 30's speed?

Answer-need to be better prepared and observe speed limits, also look at speedometer more frequently

If you were in a 40 doing mid 30's then there is no issue,

#5 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:33 AM

Coming out the village no houses in third at the rise of Hill he was level with the 40 sign less than 10 yards away when saw him so yes was just leaving 30 but in it yet in the village I keep to around 30

#6 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,038 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:51 PM

Sounds like a good place for some 'cash collection' rather than to improve road safety.

#7 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:46 PM

The camera operator will make the opinion that you are breaking the speed limit and will then put the camera on the vehicle to see if you are or not. If you are not, no picture or video is stored. If you are, then a picture or video will be stored. This will then be viewed and verified by the Police, and if all is in order after various checks are made, then a Notice will be sent to the Registered keeper. This must all be done so that the Notice is likely to reach the RK within 14 days of the offence. It is then up to the RK to deal with it.

I agree with Cooperman that a lot of sites with mobile cameras are little to do with safety. Fixed cameras though tend to be in areas where severe accidents have occurred.

My advice? Drive sensibly and keep your eyes open. And if you do get caught, don't try to fight it as it can get expensive...

#8 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:04 AM

Now this is realy strange I went back to the site yesterday I was in the 40 zone there was I sign saying 40 at the last house weird they would have it just after coming in 40 zone from 30 village be complaint from village maybe I always watch my speed in 30 as got done 5 years ago

#9 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:41 PM

Maybe the 'flash' was the sun glinting on something nearby - I get paranoid about speedtraps too - because I had 2 endorsements it cost me an extra £500 when we insured my sons first car - Rover 25, worth.... about £500!

#10 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:37 PM

I got done doing 82 in a 70 by a camera van in a layby on the opposite carriageway.

It was Sunday morning, the car in front of me moved, and I put my foot down and the speedo climbed a bit

#11 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,038 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:48 PM

It can be difficult to respect speed limits when so many have been reduced to unrealistic levels in the past few years.
Then, in the newly lowered limits they put the 'cash collection' cameras.

#12 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:33 PM

There's so many areas that should be 40 not 30

#13 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:15 PM

And a few small areas that should only be 20, due to serious but not obvious hazards, but not the blanket 20 that is being applied in lots of roads in certain cities now.

When Cameron was PM, there were plans to raise certain motorways to 80. What happened to that?

#14 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:35 PM

We've had the opposite here, they've raised speed limits quite a bit, mostly out west where things are spread out a bit. In west Texas, 2 lane roads are 75 mph limit! Not much out there to hit but the occasional jackrabbit!

In some towns they've installed those fixed speed cameras but it's been nothing but a money grab, and some communities have successfully had them removed. In Phoenix where my son lives there was quite a bit of civil disobedience, people would put post it notes over the lens or smear petroleum jelley over the lens, no damage done but it renders them ineffective and someone has to go out and remedy them, once that's done they immediately cover them again....it was almost comical. They were removed after a year and all fines were cancelled.

#15 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:26 PM

I have often thought that the way to deal with them would be to arrange a time and date, probably in the early hours of the morning, where every speed camera in the country would be covered with a black bin bag. The big drawback is that the organisers would probably get life imprisonment for conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users