6 replies to this topic

#1 scrooge

scrooge

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:44 PM

Ok...we needed a front brake disc for the mini 10 inch wheels...ordered one from mini spares and it is to thick for the caliper 8mm...the old one is 6mm...were would i get a 6mm one from. Many thanks

#2 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:11 PM

7" cooper disc`s are around the 6mm mark but presumably you know the difference and have 7.5" S disc`s in which case 8mm is correct and you need to push the caliper pistons fully into the caliper. be sure to clean and check for corrosion before doing so.

I would not change a single disc as the brakes will pull and the different grade of cast will undoubtedly give brake imbalance even when bedded in so a pair of disc`s and new pads is the smart way to go. 

#3 scrooge

scrooge

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:21 PM

The new ones defiantly wont go beyween the disc....in which case wrong disc...were would i get a pair of 6mm ones ftom

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:25 PM

The new ones defiantly wont go beyween the disc....in which case wrong disc...were would i get a pair of 6mm ones ftom

you dont.

you either use 7.5 or 7" discs. and they are not interchangable or cross fittable.(if that is a word).

#5 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:27 PM

as above - replace in pairs! the 7 & 7½" disc look externally similar with a passing glance but thickness and obviously  diameter are different - at a guess I suspect your issue is pads - I've has some aftermarket ones purporting to be for an S disc impossible to fit before....promptly returned - the 997 7" disc pads and the S / early 1275GT again look similar - but aren't!........

Let us know what discs and calipers you've got....

Edited by wile e coyote, 25 May 2017 - 07:34 PM.

#6 scrooge

scrooge

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:48 PM

Ok...think i have found the problem. ..my son ordered the new disc before measuring the old one...doh...old one is 7 inch...new one is 7.5 inch...so i guess we need a pair of 7 inch 6mm thick and a set of pads

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:39 PM

The 7" is the standard disc for the 997 and 998 Cooper (1961 to 1969). It is 1/4" thick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users