• 348 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:11 AM

Ok now for a slightly serious question.
What air filters are fitted?

I have a Ramair filter
http://shop.aseriess...-on-air-filter/
With MED velocity stacks
http://www.med-engin...med-stub-stacks

From what I've found, any air filter apart from a standard produces more noise than standard.

#17 Chris.Williams

Chris.Williams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:16 AM

I have a Ramair filterhttp://shop.aseriess...-on-air-filter/
With MED velocity stackshttp://www.med-engin...med-stub-stacks

From what I've found, any air filter apart from a standard produces more noise than standard.
Yes I would have to agree, I'm picking the stub stacks will enhance the note, I had the filter before the rebuild, not the stacks or the exhaust.

#18 Mrpeanut

Mrpeanut

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Local Club: Wessex MOC

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:26 AM

The ram air will create more noise than a panel filter/box, but not a drone. You said engine mounts standard, but what about your front sub frame mounts? Poly or solid tower mounts will cause more noise. 

#19 Mrpeanut

Mrpeanut

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Local Club: Wessex MOC

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:28 AM

I have a Ramair filterhttp://shop.aseriess...-on-air-filter/
With MED velocity stackshttp://www.med-engin...med-stub-stacks

Yes I would have to agree, I'm picking the stub stacks will enhance the note, I had the filter before the rebuild, not the stacks or the exhaust.

There's no way an RC40 twin box will be the culprit. I have one and it's so quiet my mate is asking I'm driving a Prius!

#20 Chris.Williams

Chris.Williams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:54 AM

I have solid mounted the subframe

#21 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:19 PM

turn the stearo up or get ear plugs or new exhast i allwaysget a drum beat when i open the window in my ears so i where ear plugs or let the wife drive and get a iPlayer and just sleep...

#22 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:05 PM

I think it is exhaust related as my 1990 cooper drones at 4000 rpm and has done so since the day I ditched the catalyst on the standard exhaust system 25 years ago.

I have used an Rc40 and a Maniflow,  both with twin box and both the same. It got a little quieter when I refitted the cast exhaust manifold along with a maniflow 2-1 link pipe but its not enough of a noise reduction to recommend it for the price involved.

MX5`s suffer the same drone if the cat is removed so maybe fit a cat from a late model as they are not terribly inefficient or as a friend did, add a couple of extra exhaust boxes sourced from the local scrap yard if it is doing your head in.

Also worth a bit of dynamat type stuff on the exhaust tunnel, rear bulk head and boot floor for starters.

I think its a straight trough silencer thing as a similar spec engine with a V8 range Rover back box did not have the dreaded drone and it sounded sweet..

Edited by absx2, 26 May 2017 - 03:16 PM.

#23 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:03 PM

I have the same problem done everything won't go . a larger maniflow centre box and rear helped a bit it's a drone at 3400 3500 metro engine

#24 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:10 PM

It could be no roof sound proofing only thing haven't done

#25 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:24 PM

Fit some sound deadening , fit those heavy sticky sheets on the boot floor, passenger seat back and under the bonnet. You ll add 1kg of weight and have a different car.

#26 Chris.Williams

Chris.Williams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:07 PM

I have dynamat throughout the entire car, except the roof, and underfelt under the carpet.

#27 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:11 PM

Would be worthwhile checking the fit of your exhaust - slightly out of alignment and  can touch bodywork.... idiotic voice of experience- forgot to trim enough clearance in the the valance  .....

Failing that... grow pair, man up & enjoy it :-)

#28 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:26 PM

At 4000 RPM, on the cruise, I have to strain to hear the exhaust in any of my Minis and even the Moke. The Minis all have RC40's, one is a twin box and the Moke has a 'slim line' muffler. In the Minis. most of the noise is road noise, similar in the Moke with the added wind noise, but the loudest thing in that by far is the zipper ends on the hood (yes, serious!).

If your Ignition Timing is retarded at 4000 RPM, it certainly can make the exhaust note louder as too the same of the Cam Timing.

Also, usually moving the centre box and locating it in a different place can make a big difference if it's a resonance that's causing the noise.

#29 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:10 PM

I've just come back from a serious 3rd and 4th gear drive at 4000rpm and a little more, my 14 year old daughter/my co-pilot has tohave the window down, loves the roar and eggs me on.

Yes, listen to the good advice on here, but please get out in the sunshine with your car and let em grow!!!!

#30 Chris.Williams

Chris.Williams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:10 PM

I've just come back from a serious 3rd and 4th gear drive at 4000rpm and a little more, my 14 year old daughter/my co-pilot has tohave the window down, loves the roar and eggs me on.Yes, listen to the good advice on here, but please get out in the sunshine with your car and let em grow!!!!

No sun today, 9 degrees and pouring rain. The smurf is locked away under his blanket haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users