#1 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Local Club: Bognor Regis Motor Club

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:27 PM

I completed my first ever London 2 Brighton run on the weekend, temp gauge creeped up there at la few times sitting in the sun and the traffic, but it did well. A day later i walk into the garage and theres coolant all over the floor! seems the water pump failed, so i was pretty lucky.

So, a new high capacity water pump is on the list with a few other bits. My plastic fan blade is pretty old and battered with knocks out of it so will probably get a new one - is the 11 blade plastic one OK or is the 4 blade metal one better??

Thinking of taking the opportunity to upgrade to a alloy 2 core rad. Some on ebay seem half as expensive as minispares, would anyone rate this one? http://www.ebay.co.u...88AAOSwzOxUYM~Y

I think it looks good but am concerned the bottom drain plug will clash with the subframe and generally not fit in the cowling.

I basically have an A+ MG metro engined 1275 on 998 mini ancillaries (Mk 3).

Many thanks

#2 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:41 PM

I ran my 1330 95bhp on a steel frames copper twin core rad which fitted in the frame and never had any issues, some of the alloy rads have been a bit suspect, I'd always go for copper.

Edited by KernowCooper, 26 May 2017 - 07:56 PM.

#3 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,641 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:45 PM

Minispares ones are UK made by Thermex, I have two, would recommend. Also the 6 blade metal fan is great, both helped me out in brighton this year, creeping over N in heavy traffic.

#4 wildwillie

wildwillie

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:03 PM

I too only have one twin core 4 metal blade rad. Fits in perfectly and looks good as well. Has worked perfectly, just so long as you dont put the L2B plate infront of it (like me). Still, it hasn't overheated.  

#5 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:41 PM

According to Dave Vizzard the best fan is the plastic 11 blade item (quietest and most efficient). I would stick with one of those. Twin core steel of good quality should be fine. Avoid cheap Ebay items that look impressive but are poorly made Chinese rubbish that start leaking (alloy being particularly prone to stress fracturing). Also the standard alloy water pump again of known quality will be fine. I think Mini Spares parts are usually well made and honestly described on their website and you will get discount being a TMF+ member.

#6 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:53 PM

For this country the standard radiator with the 11-blade plastic fan should always be good.

For competition use the 6-blade 'export' fan is better, but noisier.

Personally, even with 100+ bhp rally cars I have never needed anything other than the standard Cooper 'S' radiator, although I do run a manually switched electric auxiliary fan under the LH front wing which is really only ever used when stationary in traffic on very hot days or when queuing at the start of a rally test or stage.

I do, however, use a blanking sleeve in place of a thermostat on the 1310 cc Cooper 'S'.

#7 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:27 PM

OK cheers guys. 11 blade plastic fan it is. I guess then the minispares 2 core steel rad would be good then @ https://minispares.c...px|Back to shop .... but its £130.

Lots of chat about alloy ones on other threads saying the 2 core alloy ones are OK, except a bit shoddy on the welding side. The original link i posted http://www.ebay.co.u...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT is actually a UK firm and seems pretty OK... and only £50.

#8 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:36 PM

Start by cleaning your engine block. I cleaned my by putting vinegar in it, angled the bottom hose upwards (pointing upwards, extended above the thermostat housing) and let it sit for a week. The amount of crap that came out was huge.
Replaced the water pump with a plastic impeller minispares one. Even with the hottest thermostat the temp hardly goes over 85°. Using a standard rad with standard fan (and spacer) on a 1330-minkspares evo camshaft and a ported 35x29 valve head.

#9 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:17 PM

I've a MS twin core rad with a variable pitch 4 blade dowty autofan and 82 degree stat..... and a clean as a whistle engine block and heater matrix... has never run hot....

...and the fan gives a mean howl!

#10 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,641 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:48 PM

Not getting into an argument, but having tried the 6 blade vs plastic blade on two cars, 6 blade is way more efficient, better for traffic etc

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:55 PM

OK cheers guys. 11 blade plastic fan it is. I guess then the minispares 2 core steel rad would be good then 

ahhh  they are not and never have been steel please remove this from your thinking.

they are copper and brass same as the original ones.

#12 greenmini1275

greenmini1275

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:05 PM

I got a stainless steal rad from P&L and my car ran beautifully at L2B with standard plastic fan and an 88 degree thermostat. My engine is desperate for a damned good clean but at least the engine runs nice and cool.

#13 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:48 AM

Start by cleaning your engine block. I cleaned my by putting vinegar in it, angled the bottom hose upwards (pointing upwards, extended above the thermostat housing) and let it sit for a week. The amount of crap that came out was huge.
Replaced the water pump with a plastic impeller minispares one. Even with the hottest thermostat the temp hardly goes over 85°. Using a standard rad with standard fan (and spacer) on a 1330-minkspares evo camshaft and a ported 35x29 valve head.

Hi Dusky - i like the vinegar idea - is it malt or white or makes no difference? This is OK on the alloy pump in place and the rubber hoses?

#14 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:07 AM

Don't know if it's okay with the pump, I changed it after , but couldn't see any obvious damage.
The hoses were all okay :)
I no idea how many sorts of vinegar there are , I'm not that good on the kitchen :D it was clear vinegar, as clear as water if that helps?:P

#15 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:47 PM

Sure does - white vinegar I think. Will give it a go! Cheers. Pump is already off waiting for a new one to arrive, so it's a good time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users