40 replies to this topic

#16 Jarvey

Jarvey

On The Road

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:47 PM

Did you do the install your self? Apart from the. RR set up.

I've never heard of 72.5mm pistons, I was thinking of going 73mm to play it a little safe.

Whereabouts are you based? Would be great to check it out.

#17 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

Yes I built it myself. I used the Calver pistons for two reasons, the first was 72.5mm is the maximum size without offset boring the block and secondly they have a higher silicone content. If you go to 73mm you'll have to offset bore the block. The key component is Keith's cam.

The SC kit is very comprehensive and the backup from John is excellent.

I'm about as far away from you as possible, God's own county of North Yorkshire.

#18 Jarvey

Jarvey

On The Road

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:56 PM

That's fair enough. I have no issue with offset boring, but it means that's it for the block, which is a small issue.

What's so special about the cam???

That's not that far, I was in Yorkshire only yesterday visiting my grandad. Lands end or John Ogroats would be as far away as possible haha. But no worries.

P.s. Sorry that this has kind of drifted off topic.

#19 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:36 PM

The cam is the one SC used in their initial test and the one featured in their online video. What makes it so good is when it's matched with the SC head and high lift rockers the torque curve runs completely flat from 2700 revs all the way through to maximum and thus translates into unbelievable acceleration through the gears.

If you are going to be coming back to North Yorkshire let me know, I'd be only too happy to show you.

#20 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:04 PM

The re13,

#21 Jarvey

Jarvey

On The Road

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:43 AM

Sounds interesting. What's the really low down torque like? From idle up to 2700? Is it a lumpy cam or can it handle traffic ok? Did you get the cam through SC or through CalverST directly?

Which rockers are you using? I was planning on getting the shiny MED 1.5 LDX rockers. These are on my list whether I go 7 port or not.

That would be great! Thank you :D  I will happily provide a beverage of your choice for your time / knowledge and cover any fuel costs.

How often do you drive the beastie by the way? Just wondering what sort of mpg you get? Or are you too scared to work it? Is it one of those questions where if you have to ask you cant afford it type deals?

Sorry for the millions of questions ...  but its a lot of money to get wrong! Plus enjoy doing the research.

Cheers.

#22 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

Northernpower - could you post the graph? Would love to see how the power is delivered with that set up!

#23 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:17 PM

Sounds interesting. What's the really low down torque like? From idle up to 2700? Is it a lumpy cam or can it handle traffic ok? Did you get the cam through SC or through CalverST directly?

The low down torque is not great but its not helped by an ultra lightweight flywheel either. This simple solution I use to cure this is I just drop it down a couple of gears and let it loose. :proud: I bought the cam direct and also bought the pistons from Keith. I like his pistons because they don't expand as much and therefor the machining tolerances are tighter.

Which rockers are you using? I was planning on getting the shiny MED 1.5 LDX rockers. These are on my list whether I go 7 port or not.

I have a set of 1.5 roller rockers. It was worth the effort setting the the spacers correctly to sit the rollers directly over the top of the valve stems.

WP_20160617_003_zpsxf4w65pe.jpg

That would be great! Thank you :D  I will happily provide a beverage of your choice for your time / knowledge and cover any fuel costs.

Let me know always up for a drive, although I'm recovering from a shoulder operation at the moment (having torn the tendons off it) and can't drive for the next couple of months.

How often do you drive the beastie by the way? Just wondering what sort of mpg you get? Or are you too scared to work it? Is it one of those questions where if you have to ask you cant afford it type deals?

I drive it quite a lot; no idea what the fuel consumption is because I like to make full use of the rev range.

Sorry for the millions of questions ...  but its a lot of money to get wrong! Plus enjoy doing the research.

Cheers.

Edited by Northernpower, 29 May 2017 - 01:33 PM.

#24 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:20 PM

Northernpower - could you post the graph? Would love to see how the power is delivered with that set up!

Have a look about half way down this page http://www.theminifo...-today/page-403 This was the first time at the rollers just after I built it and we were only running it to 6,000. Once I'd got the exhaust sorted and fitted the optional SC lambda kit I took it back but don't have the 7,000 rev print out to hand.

#25 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:41 PM

Have a look about half way down this page http://www.theminifo...-today/page-403 This was the first time at the rollers just after I built it and we were only running it to 6,000. Once I'd got the exhaust sorted and fitted the optional SC lambda kit I took it back but don't have the 7,000 rev print out to hand.

Love that torque delivery, nice and flat!

#26 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:43 PM

Love that torque delivery, nice and flat!

It difficult to describe the difference it makes to acceleration, It just pulls you up by the boot straps through the gears especially out of roundabouts. I'm running a 3.1 fd and it has no problem pulling 95 mph in third :D

Edited by Northernpower, 29 May 2017 - 01:45 PM.

#27 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:18 PM

It's what I've opted for in the turbo build. Best of both world as a FD.

#28 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:36 PM

It's what I've opted for in the turbo build. Best of both world as a FD.

That's what I thought as well. Once I had an idea of the type of torque the engine would develop I had no doubt 3.1 would be the one to go for and I've not been disappointed.

#29 Jarvey

Jarvey

On The Road

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:31 PM

Wishing you a speedy recovery Nothernpower!

Nice torque curve on the dyno, very smooth.

I was planning on keeping the standard 2.76 FD, I am too used to the low RPM's on the motorway! Haha. What is the advantage of a 3.1 FD? Guessing it will accelerate better but you'll lose a little top end, or it will just be revving higher?

With the FD I have at the mo at 70mph it's running at 3k rpm and 90mph is 4k rpm.

#30 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:21 PM

Wishing you a speedy recovery Nothernpower!

Nice torque curve on the dyno, very smooth.

I was planning on keeping the standard 2.76 FD, I am too used to the low RPM's on the motorway! Haha. What is the advantage of a 3.1 FD? Guessing it will accelerate better but you'll lose a little top end, or it will just be revving higher?

With the FD I have at the mo at 70mph it's running at 3k rpm and 90mph is 4k rpm.

The only reason I can think of putting a fuel injected 7 port head on is because you want a lot more power and than a 5 port will give you; some members would argue you can get nearly as much with a very expensive 5 port set up. If you go to the expense of the SC kit then it seams pointless not to exploit its potential in terms of power and revs.

With the above in mind to obtain the power and torque and high revs you're going to have to install a reasonably aggressive cam and a consequence is not a lot of low down torque. Your 2.76 diff wouldn't enable the engine to get onto cam below the legal motorway speed limit in 4th therefore it would be a pointless waste of money. If you fit a milder cam for torque lower down the rev range you may as well go down the 5 port route.

Installing a lower ratio diff than your current one allows the engine to rev more freely and you'll be able to better exploit the torque you're developing. It also means because the engine is running in the power band its designed to it will be more fuel efficient even though its revving higher because it not labouring off cam. It will also give a higher top speed because its running higher up the rev range and using the BHP to achieve this. I have 13 inch wheels and mine is revving at 3,500 at 70 mph in 4th.

If you want to use a high diff and as a consequence lower revs perhaps you need to look at some sort of forced induction. Personally I prefer high revs, there's nothing better than pulling out of a bend or roundabout in second with 2,500 revs on and not changing up until 7,500 which by the way happens nearly as quick as you can change gear :D  :D .

As the saying goes, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Edited by Northernpower, 05 June 2017 - 04:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users