24 replies to this topic

#16 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:43 PM

I thought that Trading Standards require that all RETAIL (as opposed to BUSINESS) sellers quote VAT-inclusive prices. Certainly your high street shops do. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

So is there an exception for on-line selling, or is it just certain businesses at the dubious end of ethics who are trying to see what they can get away with? Or mere incompetence by a web designer? Or something else altogether?

I know that if you are sure of getting the exact same item, to the correct specification, on time, the correct place to buy it from has to be the cheapest. However, none of that is necessarily so, and as they say, "buy cheap, buy twice".

#17 DeanP

DeanP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:10 PM

thats the thing, it showed inc vat when i was shopping, then when i got to the till, its like what the hell?

Ditto, I had the same with another website. The setting in my profile is set to show prices incl of VAT. Didn't appear to make any difference, the basket was adding up the prices without VAT. Then when you come to checkout.... hey presto, VAT on both your purchase and postage to boot.

Edited by DeanP, 28 May 2017 - 09:14 PM.

#18 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:12 PM

Well, that's Minisport all over.

And likely when you go to actually pay, it'll be more.

And more likely not to be in stock... 

#19 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:12 PM

I thought that Trading Standards require that all RETAIL (as opposed to BUSINESS) sellers quote VAT-inclusive prices. Certainly your high street shops do. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

So is there an exception for on-line selling, or is it just certain businesses at the dubious end of ethics who are trying to see what they can get away with? Or mere incompetence by a web designer? Or something else altogether?

No exemption and I've had that argument with them about it before. They're total muppets when it comes to sales. Better to deal with direct at shows.

#20 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:22 PM

i supose your buying and get told the price at the check out, so you know what you are paying for then...but its just a lot *******

#21 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:01 PM

I think it's done that way so the software can easily compute for both EU and Non-EU buyers.......as I'm in the States I pay no VAT.

#22 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:17 PM

im in a state as i pay vat!!!

#23 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:19 AM

The prices shown on each items individual listings are including VAT - they make that quite clear and therefore you see the price you will pay (less shipping).

The e-commerce website model they use then uses ex-VAT pricing to build the invoice, thereby allowing variations such as international ordering, discounts, P&P etc to be factored in. As you have pointed out - you are told the total you will pay before you agree to purchase. There is nothing misleading about this way if doing of and indeed most in-line retailers (not just classic car websites) do it this way.

For reference, MiniSpares website does exactly the same.

#24 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:02 AM

I've built a few websites myself, and although I don't like minisport, it's the easiest way of doing the job.

#25 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:34 PM

The better quality web sites ask for or automatically detect your country and show the appropriate price, with VAT, import duty or whatever else applies, and in the correct currency, albeit usually limited to USD, UKP or Euros.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users