Photo
- - - - -

Help No Front Lights Hb Or Lb

electrical

Best Answer tiger99 , 29 May 2017 - 09:02 PM

It will not be the fuses because all 4 failing at once is a statistical improbability. But check them and the bulbs anyway.

Once you have done that, one simple test is going to tell you, with 99% certainty, where the fault lies. Operate the headlight flasher. Do they work? If yes, check that the thickish BLUE wire from the main light switch to the stalk is intact and securely connected at both ends. Bridge blue to blue-red or blue-white. Does anything happen?

If they do not flash, the fault is in the earth return from the BLACK wires which join at the bonnet latch area behind the slam panel, and run back to an earth point on or near the drivers side bulkhead gusset.

For safety's sake please wire it to modern standards with the left and right headlights taken back to separate earth points. It may save your life one day. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:27 AM

Wow

hello there

it's been a while, I have been driving "Willy"  (you can find him in 'Project Willy' in the saloon section) for about a year since the rebuild, no probs really

went through a tunnel the other day and realised no front lights

everything else works, including indicators, rear lamps and the dash lights

just the little driving lights, low beam and hight beam don't work

I have checked all fuses for continuity and they all work

so I am guessing it's an EARTH issue, but am poor at lectricity

if someone can give me a step by step to do list so I can start to try to nail down the fault

I have a 93 Jap spec SPI almost 100 pc standard,

(what adds to the difficulty of following the circuit is I have the AC version and there is not much room to pull up the connections and check them all without first pulling something else - ugh)

cheers

#2 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:13 AM

Not totally sure but given it's a 93 you may find that behind the gauges just above the steering column bracket you may have 4 inline fuses one each for left hand main and dip beam and one each for right hand main and dip beam. I know on my 93 they are there.

#3 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:49 AM

once again - not sure because of the spec (IIRC Japanese spec was a bit in between specs)  - but -

look behind the bonnet slam panel , there may be some bullet connectors , they often always corrode

also maybe a common earth in that area

but as above , not totally sure , due to spec

another check is the column connectors , they have a habit of loosening pins which fail after a while

Edited by sledgehammer, 29 May 2017 - 08:51 AM.

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:12 AM

As above, check behind the speedo binnacle to see if there are inline fuses

#5 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:02 PM   Best Answer

It will not be the fuses because all 4 failing at once is a statistical improbability. But check them and the bulbs anyway.

Once you have done that, one simple test is going to tell you, with 99% certainty, where the fault lies. Operate the headlight flasher. Do they work? If yes, check that the thickish BLUE wire from the main light switch to the stalk is intact and securely connected at both ends. Bridge blue to blue-red or blue-white. Does anything happen?

If they do not flash, the fault is in the earth return from the BLACK wires which join at the bonnet latch area behind the slam panel, and run back to an earth point on or near the drivers side bulkhead gusset.

For safety's sake please wire it to modern standards with the left and right headlights taken back to separate earth points. It may save your life one day.

#6 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:13 AM

Hey

thanks guys

all fuses checked and NO the lights DO NOT flash when the stick is pulled, but dash light blue light works

I shall fiddle around the bonnet latch area

the car is wired as per origin, no crazy mods, just plain old

#7 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:07 AM

The problen now is definitely in that area or st the bulkhead gusset earth point, as you have done the tests to confirm it. I strongly recommend that you renew all the terminals in that area, using a PROPER crimp tool, or soldering the bullets. Otherwise the fault will recur, and you don't want that happening on a dark night at speed. The whole lot of them are almost certainly corroded.

You could relocate them and/or give them a good coat of s sealant such as Damp Start, or Waxoyl or Vaseline, to help avoid future problems.

#8 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:49 AM

Wow lots of posts in the technical section

THANK YOU people, especially tiger99

pulled the front grill and found all those connectors under the bonnet latch, big thick black rubber insulated bullet connectors

all in good nick, but oxidised, 30 minutes with a small light file and hey  LIGHTS are back - whew,

that was a relief - I now have tunnel vision again

thanks for all the input and suggestions and the quick replies

job done !

#9 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:52 AM

I am glad to have been of help. Summer is upon us, the time to really enjoy your Mini!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users