No replies to this topic

#1 minicoopr

minicoopr
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:50 PM

Ciao,

Just bought a mini - already learning a lot :D

Picked up a mini in Dark Green and It's pretty fun!

A little bit about it:

- 1991 Mini Cooper

- Carb'd Engine. It's interesting owning a carb'd vehicle with a choke - a big change from the modern german fuel injected sedans.

- No rust :)  I was surprised when I first looked at it. Apparently always garage kept.

- 25,000k on the odometer. Might be 125,000 since there is no room for 100,000's.

- Leaked water second day I owned it into passenger side. The front and rear floor got wet so I pulled all the carpet, rubber mats, and felt pad out of the whole cab. I'm gonna ride on green metal until I find the leak.

- Thought I was leaking brake fluid but a plug on the water pump split and was leaking light rust colored fluid. I think there use to be hose going from from the pump in older models that is now plugged.

- The brakes are squeezing LOUD when slowly stopping.  I had someone put copper grease and they said give it a day to work :/  The pads are new.

- Had a couple oil leaks fixed by the area where the shifter enters the engine, and where the fuel pump enters. 

- Fixed the windshield washer jet on the right side.

- Fixed and pointed headlights

It's really fun to drive and took me time to get use to no power steering, the slightly slower startup (crank for 2 to 3 seconds with light gas pedal pumps), and the braking. 

I've already got some projects in mind like a dash remodel although I love the light wood color. I pulled out an old wood center console that had a locked out radio in it with a few cables leading to small speakers behind the rear seat.  

Project Ideas:

- Find water leak!!!

- Heavy soundproofing

- Install radio under rear seat

- Leather seat swap or reupholster

- Add grill lights

- Improve shocks?

- Air filter swap

- Learn to clean, work on, tune an SU carb.

- If the engine ever gives out I've heard good things about VTEC swaps - I wonder if the Hayabusa engine fits would work.

Attached File  car 1.jpg   81.24K   7 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users