#1 Jordlight

Jordlight

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:01 AM

Hi all,

Been a while without an issue so thought something would pop up sooner or later! I'm currently running an '89 998cc mini.

Only a small issue but my right wiper blade keeps catching on my window rubbers, resulting in my wipers not working until i manually take them off and put them back on the windscreen, and/or the fuse for the wipers blows and I need to replace it.

I've tried manually changing the position of the wiper blades as I thought one of them might of simply gone out of position, but after a few attempts the problem still returns.

Has anyone had this issue or heard of a solution for this? I've thought it could be the wiper motor but I don't want to go replacing things until I know for sure!

Cheers!

Jordan

#2 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:50 AM

Check that the tube that the flexible drive rack runs in is tightly clamped to both wiper wheelboxes and especially to the motor. It has been known to work loose, and that displaces the wipers from their normal arc. Run the wipers and see if the tube moves where it ought not to.

There could be wear in the wheelboxes and the output end (large gear and crankpin) of the motor. Take off the cover for a look. Try the Somerford web site to see if any individual parts are still available. I would suggest that the motor internals are probably in good order electrically.

The basic motor is used on many cars but with different output gear fitted. Last time I bought one (actually the only time, as I have found these motors, apart from the parking switch, to be very reliable), it came without the gear so you could use the correct old one if it was serviceable, which it was. It is possible that the wrong part is fitted, giving too long a stroke.

Edited by tiger99, 31 May 2017 - 11:50 AM.

#3 Jordlight

Jordlight

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:34 AM

Thanks for that buddy!

I will give it a try tonight and let you know how it goes.

Jordan

#4 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:38 AM

When you say you changed the position, did you remove the arm and move it around a couple of splines?

#5 Jordlight

Jordlight

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:26 PM

When you say you changed the position, did you remove the arm and move it around a couple of splines?

Yeah, the wipers where skewed and they weren't parallel so I removed the wipers and put them back on at different angles, but this didn't seem to work.

Jordan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users