#1 clintjb

clintjb

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:29 PM

Hi All,

So I'm getting ready to start cutting this rust out and welding in some repairs but am struggling to identify the panels/repair patches.

I've attached some images showing the area to be repaired.

I'm assuming this would be one of the parts (Mini Spares) but the rust/repair above the bolt holes (#2) isn't clear for me. Additionally, I'm doubting that the mini spares part would be suitable as you can see in the image it needs repairing on the lower bend as well.

Hope that makes some sense, and thanks in advanced if people can point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Attached Files

#2 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:20 PM

Your linked panel is spot on for the main area. The step area is http://minispares.co...px|Back to shop

the arch I would make a repair piece for. You will probably find you need to at least repair the inner sill where it joins the heel board and part of the floor too

Edited by dyshipfakta, 31 May 2017 - 02:21 PM.

#3 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:21 PM

You will need this part to repair the heelboard http://www.minispare...|Back to search

You will need to fabricate up a section of the rear floor panel behind it or buy a cheap rear floor panel and use the back section to repair.

You will need one of these http://www.minispare...|Back to search which goes between the arch tub and the heelboard.

You will need to repair the arch tub too obviously.

You may find other stuff behind when you start cutting.

Remember that the captive nut brace on the heelboard end is welded to the inner sill and it's very tricky to weld it back nicely from inside the companion bin which is the only access you will have

#4 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:58 AM

Tentative suggestion. To weld the brace can you not drill the rear end of the inner sill, assuming the outer has to come off, and plug weld it from inside the car? Ok, a bit awkward under the seat base, but I think doable.

Another suggestion, this time not tentative. Whatever you do, securely seam weld the captive nuts to the brace so there is no possibility of them ever breaking loose and spinning when you want to get the bolts out. There have been many discussions on that topic, and prevention is better than surgery later.

#5 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:00 PM

Oh, and it is very likely that the closing panel behind the front lower corner of the wheel arch will need replacing. Examine carefully.

Have fun!

#6 clintjb

clintjb

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:16 PM

Hi All,

Thanks very much for the feedback - makes a lot of sense now... I was thinking originally it might have been that closing panel but I wasnt certain.

The left hand side has similar problems in allmost the identital location. Just one question would it be better than to buy THIS and just replace the whole heel board or is it "simplier" to replace just the two corners?

Thanks again

#7 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:48 PM

If the heelboard is otherwise sound, then just replace what you need.

Just make sure you get the proper ends and not the covers as they are designed to go over the top of the holes/rust etc and don't include the nut brace.

Ben

#8 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:19 PM

chop the outer sill off as it looks like a cover sill repair replace and put a healboard half in from heritage 

#9 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:43 AM

Good point! That will also make the welding of the brace to the inner sill easier and allow more rust to be eliminated. Should save both time and money in the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users