102 replies to this topic

#1 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:06 PM

This year I was finally able to get a mini after wanting to get one for ages. I did have to sell my other project to fund it though , but im sure my mini will fill the void

dhLIGTvl.jpgmy full restored 2003 mx5, if anyone was interested.

Anyway moving onto the good stuff, here is my 1995 Sidewalk in charcoal grey.

it has 57K on the clock and I would say the condition is fair. Im hoping to get two summers out of it before I need to do restoration on it. It has the usual rust under the headlights and around the side indicators.

Both the doors have rust starting to show as well, the floors have been patched but the boot floor looks good, the sills will need work doing to them but again I want to try and get a couple of summers out of it before I hit it with the grinder and welder.

I havent really drove it much since I got it, but the 200+ mile trip home was fun, I was surprised at how it was able to handle itself on the motorway and keep up with traffic.

g1qkEd3l.jpgeHM7e70l.jpgmriFqaal.jpgSOlM4qnl.jpgNext to my uncles bike.

There were a few things I needed to sort out, the radiator was leaking and the headlights were dull, the previous owner had headlights and a radiator that he never got round to fitting, so this weekend I tackled that. It took 20 litres of water to flush the system till clean water came out, at first it looked like mud. However when I looked into the cylinder head where the stat goes it still looked rusty so Im sure the coolant will go soon but im not really sure what else to do?

Headlights were a quick swap, took the old sealed units out and altered the wiring to suit the new lights and sidelights 

9jbam49l.jpg Slight improvement there.

Next job was to tackle the engine bay, well actually I did this before I swapped the radiator over, it was disgusting, the PO said the rocker cover had been leaking that is why it was so dirty but when I looked into it the drivers side was worse than the passenger so I thought might be something else. After many hours and various cleaning products I managed to get some of the crud off the front of the engine, enough to find any persistent leaks.

fBdMFTYl.jpg

It doesnt look much cleaner but its a start, I would love a pristine engine bay but I just wouldnt know where to begin with tidying components up, removing them etc.

With this been cleaner I did find a leak, the oil feed pipe is leaking, so Ive ordered a new one of those albeit a braided one. I have also had some issues with a rough idle, it seems to be rev hunting, I would guess it only moves around 300/400 rpm. I have checked air filter, plugs and gaps, dizzy cap but now Im stretching my abilities. What I did notice is there is some oil in the dizzy, can these be resealed or do I need a new one?

One of the wheel arches was cracked so I swapped them over with the standard black ones, I bought some from mini spares and my god they are such a bad fit! But they are one.

My plan is to try and keep the car standard, it hasnt really been messed with so far, got alloys on and thats about it. I do want to add a few things to it, uprated brakes, maybe S/S exhaust. I have learnt my lesson with modifications on cars as some can really ruin the car.

If you see me doing anything wrong please tell me as im very new to minis and I hope you like this one!!!!

Thanks

Ross

#2 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:52 AM

Hi welcome to the forum, and nice to see another mini sidewalk, just to let you no we have a mini sidewalk owners club page on facebook, where we are trying to get as many sidewalks together at shows as possible, it would be great to see another.

Hope you continue to enjoy your mini :)

#3 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:24 AM

Hi welcome to the forum, and nice to see another mini sidewalk, just to let you no we have a mini sidewalk owners club page on facebook, where we are trying to get as many sidewalks together at shows as possible, it would be great to see another.

Thank you, I have to say I have admired yours a lot already!

I'm one of these rare 20 something year olds that doesn't have Facebook :( but yeah I would like to get to some of the shows eventually

#4 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:42 AM

Welcome to TMF, lovely charcoal Sidewalk you have there. Nice to see another one join.

minimissions, like the sound of your gatherings, but I don't do Facebook either.

#5 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:21 PM

I'm one of these rare 20 something year olds that doesn't have Facebook :( but yeah I would like to get to some of the shows eventually

Thank you, she is a little bit different to the rest with the japanese theme going on. I understand the no facebook, i cant stand the site either, only ever joined it for car shows years back lol, i will post on this forum in the events section if the sidewalk group are doing another meet/show.

I think on a rough idea, we will have a few of us a Mini IN THE PARK at Santa Pod in August.

#6 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:27 PM

Welcome to TMF, lovely charcoal Sidewalk you have there. Nice to see another one join.

minimissions, like the sound of your gatherings, but I don't do Facebook either.

Thanks, im hoping to keep this alove for as long as i can

#7 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:28 PM

Thank you, she is a little bit different to the rest with the japanese theme going on. I understand the no facebook, i cant stand the site either, only ever joined it for car shows years back lol, i will post on this forum in the events section if the sidewalk group are doing another meet/show.

I think on a rough idea, we will have a few of us a Mini IN THE PARK at Santa Pod in August.

Problem is santa pod is nearly four hours away from me :( but i did drive this over four hours home! 

#8 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:43 AM

I see well i am sure there will be other shows we will all be at to :)

#9 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:29 AM

Well I had a productive day yesterday. I changed the leaking oil feed pipe which sorted that problem out. I got all the new coolant hoses on and clamped up, with no leaks I should add.

I then turned my attention on the rough idling issue. It wasn't bad but the revs would dip and dive maybe 500/750 rpm. I changed the plugs and the leads and this has seemed to stop the problem. It may still be there a little bit but it's vastly improved.

I also changed over all the screws for the headlamp rings as when I changed the headlight all of them were rusted and brittle.

I managed to get my new parcel shelf in and lose the speakers from the back. Currently messing on with the boot liner and just need a few adjustments on that then I can carpet it over.

My next jobs are to locate any more leaks, I've got the gaskets and the gear selector seal but just need to find out exactly where it's coming from and hopefully sort them out but least one isn't there any more.

Then took it out for a quick spin last night to make sure everything was working and it's driving spot on. First time the SO drove it as well, she loved it (one of the reasons I got one)

I still have one problem which I thought was fixed. My heater is only blowing hot air, the cable works, or seems to be so my only thinking is its the valve that's not working?

#10 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:32 PM

This is why you don't buy cheap jubilee clips 

xwZ8DJQl.jpg

#11 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:20 PM

Yeah been there lol Bnq jubilee clips seem to do the business for me.

#12 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:46 PM

Yeah been there lol Bnq jubilee clips seem to do the business for me.

I ordered a genuine set from Huddersfield spares so hopefully they will be here. Then I'm going to try and reduce these leaks and enjoy the car

#13 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:18 PM

Well the clamps that came today we're completely wrong, wrong style and sizes so I got on the phone to them and they are going to try sort the problem out.

Ended up getting some from B&Q seemed to work but the lower hose was still dripping a little bit. I then moved the clamp closer to the radiator and this seemed to slow the problem but not resolve it.

I'm not sure what else to do, it has had new radiator, new hoses, the clamp was an original clamp so I think I will make sure hose pushed all way in and renew the clamp and use a socket not a screw driver to make sure it is fully tightened.

I changed my ignition coil today as the old one was a bit tatty car seems to turn over a lot quicker now

#14 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:20 PM

KVL3XLkl.jpg

I also changed the brake fluid cap as the terminals were rusted on the old one and snapped off when I was cleaning it

#15 ckneller321

ckneller321

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:02 PM

I like it. Some nice practical purchases!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users