102 replies to this topic

#16 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:16 PM

I like it. Some nice practical purchases!

Thanks I learnt my lesson with the Mazda. The only purchases I am going to be doing are ones that will fix problems or need doing. I'm not going to splash out loads of money on mods whilst I still have leaks and various issues.

Got the genuine hose clamp set today and they are really good quality so hopefully sort that slight leak out.

Car is jacked up and oil seems to be leaking a little more, I have read that this is the diff output shaft seal?

Either way I have that seal, and the diff side cover gaskets. I'm hoping to get that them sort but I've read about the shims etc and getting the pre load right but when I read the Haynes it just says retain the shims and refit gasket and fit it all back together.

Whilst I'm down there I'm going to change the gear rod selector seal then top it up with nice castrol classic oil and new filter and start enjoying it.

#17 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:29 PM

I haven't posted in a while, not a lot to really talk about. I have been using it over the summer and its been great, no more oil leaks from the diff covers, great on fuel, no speakers so just having to listen to the engine noise which isnt a bad thing.

I went to the Sunderland district classic car show a few weekends back, I was a little too late to get into the place so had to park mine in the car park :(

IQ8uHPhl.jpg?1w6zhDLWl.jpg

Spent the full day cleaning it and waxing it, dont be fooled, it looks so much better in pictures!

S95HpuNl.jpgM4II165l.jpg

T2Xpv2ml.jpg

I didnt get many pictures of the show as it was starting to rain and was bloody freezing but hopefully you can enjoy these few.

I did notice the other day that there seemed to be a little bit of a puddle under my car, at first I thought it was oil and assumed the diff covers were leaking again but when i looked today it was coolant. So I got the car on stands and opened the bonnet, there seemed to be a minor leak at the thermostat housing, I recently changed all the gaskets, thermostat, and housing so I knew they were good. I tightened the bolts up as they were a bit slack and snapped one of them, partly still in the head. Anyone give me a tip on how to get that out easy?

So i had a look around to make sure there wasnt any other leaks and I could see one but couldnt find out where it was from, after a long search it looks like the water pump is leaking somewhere on the fan side, which is dripping down onto the block, then onto the diff cover, bring crud with it. So i will have to get one ordered and replace that, hopefully it is easy enough. On the plus side, after about 20 coolant flushes the coolant is still clean and not brown like when I bought the car.

#18 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:37 AM

Not a lot has happened lately, I have my new bolts for the thermostat housing and just need to order the water pump when I get a chance.

I did however get myself a set of exactons, they will need a refurb, but they won't go on the car till it's been rebuilt. Not sure to go silver or a grey with these, the grey might clash with the bodywork colour so will have to see

#19 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:17 PM

Well my alloys have come today 

UanMFHvl.jpg

I will get them shot blasted, then im going to paint the nissan blade silver which I think is a nice silver but there is no rush for that just yet 

#20 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:53 PM

Just a little update, trying to keep on top of this. My water pump appears to be leaking so Im in the process of removing the necessary parts and cleaning them up, the fan cleaned up really well and the radiator cowl has been stripped back, DEOX gel and repainted. 

JDSH95vl.jpgjGu217Ll.jpg

I painted the rad cowl in satin black (the pic was when it was still wet)

nzdrQRSl.jpgQfuecsol.jpg

Since I got the car I have never liked the chrome rocker cover so I thought I should get one now whilst spraying other things, sorry I forgot to get a before picture :( 

FCAcg1Vl.jpgu7Wjct8l.jpg

8bWtxWnl.jpg8nL54dil.jpg

If you look carefully you can see my first finished alloy in the corner. Need to get some more paint and get those finished. I did get them all stripped and etch primed tonight so least thats the messy job done

#21 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:19 PM

Well the alloys are all done, just need to flatten and polish but I think they look good already

p9w0Ervl.jpgyWKb9GGl.jpgcc5xCeGl.jpg

My water pump and other bits came from minispares yesterday so I will get that sorted over xmas break whilst the missus is back at work and hopefully fire the mini up

#22 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:25 PM

Have you got 7.5 inch brakes already then ?

FS

#23 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:29 PM

FS

Not yet, my job after the water pump is to convert the brakes and change the radius arms as they were an advisory on the last MOT. Im in no rush to get it done but would ideally like the alloys on the car with new brakes for April, just in time for the first local show

Any recommendations for the brake kit? Mini spares or sport? Standard or 4 pot?   Engine is staying standard 

Edited by rossul.burn, 20 December 2017 - 08:34 PM.

#24 IainStallard

IainStallard

I am the first status holder 2014.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • Local Club: Box Hill Mini Club, CCMOC

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:46 PM

FS

Not yet, my job after the water pump is to convert the brakes and change the radius arms as they were an advisory on the last MOT. Im in no rush to get it done but would ideally like the alloys on the car with new brakes for April, just in time for the first local show

Any recommendations for the brake kit? Mini spares or sport? Standard or 4 pot?   Engine is staying standard

Minispares 7.5 inch conversion kit with mintex 1144 pads would be my vote. Like the car, very clean :)

#25 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:59 PM

FS

Minispares 7.5 inch conversion kit with mintex 1144 pads would be my vote. Like the car, very clean :)

How are those pads for noise? I had some on the mx5 and they screamed so bad when they were cold.

Thanks! It looks good on pics but dont be fooled, it is still rusty!

#26 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 06:34 AM

I’ve used two lots of the minispares kit and the pads that come with it. Works fine, good quality stuff (the kit with their own calipers).

FS

#27 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:24 PM

I’ve used two lots of the minispares kit and the pads that come with it. Works fine, good quality stuff (the kit with their own calipers).

FS

Thanks I will probably end up going with these, with the TMF discount it is a no brainer

#28 Redjohnno

Redjohnno

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:53 PM

Looking forward to seeing this progress. Same colour as mine, which will also be going onto 10's soon!

#29 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 03:31 PM

Looking forward to seeing this progress. Same colour as mine, which will also be going onto 10's soon!

Please dont hold your breath mind! Its going to be a long process, first time house buyer here so that will take priority.

BUT by April I do hope to have brakes changes, radius arms, new sus and full new exhaust. Hopefully oh and a new front windscreen as its nice and cloudy

#30 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:58 PM

Windscreen is best bought at a show as shipping can be tricky....Bingley Hall?

FS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users