102 replies to this topic

#31 Redjohnno

Redjohnno

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:51 PM

No rush, mine has been off the road since our last Euro Road trip in 2013!!

#32 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 09:02 AM

Windscreen is best bought at a show as shipping can be tricky....Bingley Hall?

FS

Not sure I will be able to get there but minispares north isn't too far away from me

#33 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:54 PM

It is amazing where time goes. Nothing has happened with the mini since last time I posted pics. It has sat unloved over winter. I haven't even bought it any nice presents. Lots of other things have happened though, I have ended up getting engaged and we are in the process of buying our first home so the mini spending will be even less. 

I did have a little bit spare money and have bought the mini treats for this year

Rear window seal and bits

Windscreen and seals

Manifold exhaust hanger bracket

RC40 single box side exit cat back exhaust.

I dont have enough money for tyres and brake kit to get the alloys on but least I have something. MOT runs out in April I really hope it passes it so I can get the rest of the year out of it but least I can still get to one show at the beginning of April

Any tips for fitting windscreen and seals?

#34 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 04:04 PM

All my parts arrived today, and none of them were damaged.

I just want to say thanks to Stevie at Minispares for the help and advice over the last few days as well. Hoping the weather will clear up over the weekend to get things sorted!

#35 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:08 PM

Well today has been eventful. I have a small list of tasks I want to done over the next few weeks.

First one was to sort door switch so courtesy light comes on - that was done and easy

Next was to tidy the wiring underneath steering column - all went to plan and everything was working

Then I took wiper motor out to sort that out

Then the problems started, upon reconnecting the battery the alarm will not stop screaming at me. I really need to get this sorted as immobilizer is also on.

So I gave up on that then went to fit my rc40 backbox and it doesn't fit the cat. The cat flange is a lot smaller than the flange for the exhaust. Is this a new cat job? What are the chances of the flange on the other side of the cat being smaller than a new one so a new cat won't even fit the manifold?

#36 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:55 PM

anyone know easiest way to disconnect the horn on SPI?

#37 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:45 AM

Unplug it from under the bonnet.

#38 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

Did the alarm immobiliser work before? Or just burst into life after your recent jobs?

FS

#39 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:26 AM

What is the best way to do this? I can see the cable but cannot get to it. If i remove the ecu to get to it would this be a problem? I know it seems like daft questions to ask for such a simple task

#40 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:29 AM

Did the alarm immobiliser work before? Or just burst into life after your recent jobs?

FS

Yeah everything worked prior to me fiddling about. I also started the car after I had sorted the wires out and tested everything and it all worked fine. It only started having an issue when i disconnected the battery to remove the wiper motor.

I've tried to resync the fob by pressing the buttons a 4 times but i did do this out side the car with the boot open which may have been an issue. I have got a new battery to go in the fob to eliminate that issue. My next plan is to get the fob refurbished then after that I am all out of ideas.

If i can disconnect the horn I will be able to try all the things again and take my time with them, just with it going off I do not want to annoy the neighbours

#41 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:15 PM

So I managed to get the alarm working, disconnected the horn and reset the fob by pressing it four times.

I also spoke to minispares today and I am getting a new cat delivered in next few days that will fit the RC40 back box so i set about removing the old cat tonight which was easy enough.

I have primed the wiper motor holding bracket and the body ready to be painted tomorrow, I also have primed the wiper arms as well.

But i do have one big issue, i knocked the sill tonight which has identified a rust problem. My MOT is in april and I know it will fail in its current state and im not sure what to do. I was not planning on replacing the sills just yet, im worried if i open it up it will just be a can of worms. I dont like the idea of fitting an over sill but i do want to enjoy the car this summer.

What to do?????

#42 Wild

Wild

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:16 PM

But i do have one big issue, i knocked the sill tonight which has identified a rust problem. My MOT is in april and I know it will fail in its current state and im not sure what to do. I was not planning on replacing the sills just yet, im worried if i open it up it will just be a can of worms. I dont like the idea of fitting an over sill but i do want to enjoy the car this summer.

What to do?????

Can you take a photo of the damage and the community can give you their opinion on whats the best way to proceed :) 

#43 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:44 PM

Yeah I will get a picture tomorrow in the light. My initial idea when I got the car was to get two summers out of it before it got stripped down. This would be my second summer this year. I just want to enjoy the mini :(

#44 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:41 AM

What is the best way to do this? I can see the cable but cannot get to it. If i remove the ecu to get to it would this be a problem? I know it seems like daft questions to ask for such a simple task

I had all the horn out of mine, yes moving the ecu will help for access and no shouldnt effect the car in anyway unless you damage some wiring moving this... Hope you get all sorted

#45 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:07 AM

I had all the horn out of mine, yes moving the ecu will help for access and no shouldnt effect the car in anyway unless you damage some wiring moving this... Hope you get all sorted

Yeah got it all sorted, the key fob just needed resyncing with the alarm after I had disconnected the battery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users