#47 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:51 PM

Wow... New sills at the least.
Looks pretty crunchy so should be dealt with properly, oversills would just hide the rust and make it worse and more expensive later.
Might be a good idea to have it looked at by someone who knows what they are doing like BenO as it could be just new sills to fit and you're good for a few years.

Ben

Edited by MacGyver, 21 March 2018 - 06:52 PM.

#48 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:28 PM

Looks pretty crunchy so should be dealt with properly, oversills would just hide the rust and make it worse and more expensive later.
Might be a good idea to have it looked at by someone who knows what they are doing like BenO as it could be just new sills to fit and you're good for a few years.

Ben

After speaking to a few people and explaining my situation I'm going to get it repaired to mot standard to get another summer out of it.

My intention was to get two summers out of it then strip it down for a full rebuild. I know this seems like a bodge job but I don't have access to a garage atm and I'm worried it will snow ball into a much larger job than I can undertake plus im just waiting for the sale of my first house to be completed so cannot spend too much money or time. So I will try and get it back on the road for now then do it properly later in the year.

On the plus side my new cat is coming tomorrow

#49 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:39 AM

Ben

After speaking to a few people and explaining my situation I'm going to get it repaired to mot standard to get another summer out of it.

My intention was to get two summers out of it then strip it down for a full rebuild. I know this seems like a bodge job but I don't have access to a garage atm and I'm worried it will snow ball into a much larger job than I can undertake plus im just waiting for the sale of my first house to be completed so cannot spend too much money or time. So I will try and get it back on the road for now then do it properly later in the year.

On the plus side my new cat is coming tomorrow
Fare enough, better it drives around than sit and rust anyhow.
+the cat can keep it warm in winter! 😁

#50 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:54 PM

Well I did a bit of digging today, the sills are rusty, really rusty! We already knew that though, and we all knew the inner sills would be gone too, guess what? They were!!

So anyway after having a look and thinking what my options are I have decided to take the mini off the road. I do not have the time or space to fix it just yet but once im in the new house with a nice garage I will start stripping it down and restoring it fully.

qzS8Lxul.jpgMiEbXjbl.jpg

r1nhFzJl.jpg

When I seen the state of it I didnt even attempt to finish cleaning it off, just cleaned the drive and called it a day. Roll on later in the year when I can try and get this thing sorted

#51 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:24 PM

I'm getting good at this none frequent posts.

Well im finally moved into my own place with my own garage, bit on the small side but I will make it work. Here are some pictures of my garage set up (minus the mini). 

SSOA4O3l.jpgJ76HKdKl.jpg

Zh5pDgRl.jpgYc60E5Ul.jpg

P1E3v9Nl.jpg

So the mini has been sat neglected at my parents since the last post. I went down today and gave it a quick bath and took loads of pictures for future reference and started him up. Took a little while but it did fire into action. The mini is getting transported next week then my plan is to start stripping it down as that doesnt really cost me anything, still got the wedding to pay for. However updates will start again

Oh here he is all clean, looks good from 20ft!

VPLQixPl.jpg

#52 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:40 AM

Wow that is one clean garage!

#53 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:50 PM

I'm not lying when I say it was the first thing I painted when we moved in. Epoxy floor and 15 litres of masonry paint!! The only problem is it could be 1m wider but I will manage with a spit

#54 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 05:44 AM

I'm not lying when I say it was the first thing I painted when we moved in. Epoxy floor and 15 litres of masonry paint!! The only problem is it could be 1m wider but I will manage with a spit

:lol: Love it! That is so something I would do! I think everyone would like a bigger garage haha

#55 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:28 AM

:lol: Love it! That is so something I would do! I think everyone would like a bigger garage haha

I said it had to get painted straight away so we could store things in it, that's how I justified it.

Yeah that's true! My fiancees parents had a larger than double they let me use when I did the Mazda it was great

#56 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:33 AM

I said it had to get painted straight away so we could store things in it, that's how I justified it.

Yeah that's true! My fiancees parents had a larger than double they let me use when I did the Mazda it was great

Lmao Its a good point and only makes sense to me...

#57 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:30 AM

Well its home, I just need to get some boxes and freezer bags and i can start stripping it down

ZhAUQRYl.jpg

#58 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:57 AM

label EVERYTHING. every damn nut, bolt, washer. 

Do not throw ANYTHING away. It's surprising what parts are no longer available (the domed thing that holds down the gear lever for example)

Only buy bits you need for the part you are working on that week, otherwise you'll end up with a box of bits you forgot you bought and then buy it again...

Q

#59 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:06 AM

label EVERYTHING. every damn nut, bolt, washer.

Do not throw ANYTHING away. It's surprising what parts are no longer available (the domed thing that holds down the gear lever for example)

Only buy bits you need for the part you are working on that week, otherwise you'll end up with a box of bits you forgot you bought and then buy it again...
Q

Thanks for the advice! I'm in no real hurry so I'm going to take a picture of everything whilst measuring it with a micrometer in the case of nuts and bolts so I know that X amount of bolts at X size go there.

I was even thinking of doing video clips saying that I've took door off and these are the bolts. I know it seems over kill but whilst I have the time I thought I should go overboard to try and make life easier when I rebuild

#60 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:47 PM

Well I started the strip down tonight, I'm in no hurry so not much progress. 

I got the drivers side door all stripped down, bagged and tagged and got the door off. To me surprise no sheered or snapped bolts! (For now)

XAmuFzPl.jpg8fAlKiwl.jpg?1

I3tBIiAl.jpg?1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users