8 replies to this topic

#1 mark112

mark112

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:38 PM

Hey all, I'm new to this forum so i will firstly say Hello :)

Right to my issue. Basically, I did a service a couple of weeks ago and shortly after that the oil warning light has started coming on when resting at the lights, but on acceleration above 1200 rpm it disappears. I've changed the sensor but hasn't changed anything.

Am i damaging the car driving it like this? Also does anyone have any idea what the problem could be, all was fine prior to service!

Many thanks in advance

Mark

#2 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:40 PM

here we go....

#3 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:10 PM

Hey all, I'm new to this forum so i will firstly say Hello :)

Right to my issue. Basically, I did a service a couple of weeks ago and shortly after that the oil warning light has started coming on when resting at the lights, but on acceleration above 1200 rpm it disappears. I've changed the sensor but hasn't changed anything.
Am i damaging the car driving it like this? Also does anyone have any idea what the problem could be, all was fine prior to service!

Many thanks in advance

Mark

You may have noticed when you registered this is a forum for classic Mini's. If you want an answer to the question you're better off looking at a BMW MINI forum such as mini2.com

#4 Magic jason

Magic jason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:59 PM

have you checked the oil level? 

#5 Rapidmini59

Rapidmini59

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Local Club: Minifreaks

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:20 PM

When one has changed the lubrication in ones vehicular mode of operandi, firstly one must make sure that the lubrication level is correct before starting the propulsion unit.
Run propulsion unit to extinguish the lubrication lamp,then shut down and leave for 5 minutes.
Re-check the lubrication level as the lubrication will enter and fill up the lubrication filtration canister thus reducing the lubrication level.
Therefore a top up of up to 35.195 imperial fluid ounces could be required to assist in the good running level of the lubrcation in ones vehicular mode of operandi.
Hope this helps

Edited by Rapidmini59, 07 June 2017 - 06:36 PM.

#6 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:49 PM

Have you fitted the correct filter, and checked the oil level? Not tat much to go wrong when changing oil and filter really.  Checked for leaks?

#7 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,779 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:08 PM

"If your early MINI oil light comes on sometimes after an oil change check this:-

The early MINI with production dates up to 07/2004 has a couple extra pieces inside the oil filter cannister cover - a spring and plastic cage. These items were eliminated on the later models after 07/2004. The oil filter specification with the initial production of the MINI required a 'paper filter' which necessitated a plastic cage in the cannister cover which prevent the filter from collapsing under pressure. For this reason, the early production MINIs have a spring loaded plastic 'cage' built into the oil filter cannister cover. This 'cage' provides a rigid structure within the filter to maintain its shape under pressure. The cage also helps to 'seal' the top of the filter for proper oil circulation thru the filter.
The early 'all paper' oil filters designed for use with the caged cover did not have any internal support structure (or 'built-in' cage). BE CAREFUL when purchasing aftermarket oil filters as there are still some of these 'uncaged' filters in the market."

Also check the wiring to the oil pressure sensor for any chaffing as there have been cases of the cable shorting out to metal when the engine rocks on its mountings, so switching on the oil light.

Edited by mab01uk, 12 June 2017 - 10:10 PM.

#8 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:05 AM

I get the feeling they didn't bother to stick around to see any answer..............

#9 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:50 PM

No it doesn't matter any more as it's seized

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users