Photo

Replacing Mk1 Whole Floor....doorstep/a-Panel?!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zeemax_Mini

Zeemax_Mini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:49 AM

Hey guys,

Well having started on the replacement of the full floor of my mk1 with a mini-machine full assembly, we found rotten door steps, surprise surprise. The lower outer rear quarter had rusted through from inside the door pocket so we decided upon a repair panel including the door step and bottom few inches of the rear quarter. We've removed the outer a-panel in order to fit this new doorstep, however from reading online it's saying that we should do the a-posts with the door step, before we do the floor...and that at the same time we should also trial fit the new front wings....

I was assuming we could do the door-step repair, then floor, then turn our attention to a-panels/front end...any suggestions?!

Cheers,

Dom

#2 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:19 AM

I would bin the door steps with part rear panel and use the M machine manufactured door steps with either full quarter panels or m machine lower repair panels.
I faced a similar problem but although the panels were rotten I left them all in place including doors until I had the floor in position. Then used the doors to align the door steps, I didn't remove anything from the front end until all lower and rear panels were fully attached. there may be other ways to reach the same result but I had no problems at all and basically from waist down now mine is all new metal apart from b posts and toe board/bulkhead.
If you look at my resto it may give you some ideas.

#3 Zeemax_Mini

Zeemax_Mini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:52 AM

Thanks Daz! I had tried to buy the door steps from m-machine but thought they only did mk3 onwards for some reason...i'll speak to them! Concious that I'm taking alot of metal out, and whilst the shell is braced it still makes me nervous. I'll speak to m-machine about mk1 doorsteps though....the magnum ones I have are well out.

Cheers,

Dom

#4 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:00 PM

Yes the m machine ones are much better, I only had a basic brace between doors and across a post and b post, important though to gusset the corners. Mine never moved with this basic frame installed. Only other area worth bracing is across the rear quarter windows of you are going to chop out the rear bulkhead, I didn't and it did spring out about 1/2 inch so I had to use ratchet straps to get width back to correct measurement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users