#16 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:17 PM

You (used to) be able to buy the same brand compressor online for a touch cheaper then when Aldi had them on offer.

The are made by Wolf, were sold on Amazon and UKTV shopping.

Mind you nothing beats going shopping for some eggs and coming home with a compressor and a load of air tools.

Edited by r3k1355, 12 June 2017 - 04:18 PM.

#17 maccers

maccers

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:55 AM

Was out walking with a friend of mine last night, she works for well known pet food and dry food brand and says they used to and still produce some of the stuff for supermarket own brands. Have yet to look for stuff like razors, toothpaste and stuff like that, but generally will be going there a lot more now! Air tools sound good!

#18 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:07 AM

The same is similar for a few products, I know Jam is the same and pasta as well I think (from mates who work in factorys)

Same stuff, different label (or jar).

#19 Zach P-D

Zach P-D

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:40 PM

Aldi steak is good, for about £3 it's some of the nicer steaks that supermarkets sell. 

#20 Big Sam

Big Sam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:40 PM

Every sunday in lidl for weekly shop. Get everything there now, usually own brand stuff too.

#21 Twincam

Twincam

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:21 PM

Aldi nappies (I became an uncle last year) and Almat washing powder (I use this for my car washing cloths etc) are good

#22 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:47 PM

Mind you nothing beats going shopping for some eggs and coming home with a compressor and a load of air tools.

You only need to boil them for 3 minutes 😀

#23 superhuhn

superhuhn

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Local Club: MiniAIX (Aachener Minifreunde)

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:58 AM

Greetings from Germany :-) - we've grown up with ALDI over here. I've "tried" the UK one during my last holidays and it's good fun to see the different (UK vs. Germany) products in there.
(and I loved the solar chickens for my garden, which weren't on offer at home ... *lol*)

Edited by superhuhn, 15 June 2017 - 09:59 AM.

#24 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:04 AM

I managed to find an Aldi store all the way over in Sydney.

Seemed broadly the same to what we have here :)

#25 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:48 PM

We did most of our shopping in Asda when we lived in Bournemouth, but did some in Lidl. We didn't buy too much because we had to carry it home. Since we moved to Bedfordshire, we use Aldi and to a lesser extent, Lidl. We top up with the odd bit from Asda. Aldi is very cheap, the meat is decent and the veg is the same as the other places. We then decided to give the nappies a go, and said that if they cause any rash or problems we would switch to something else. They turned out to be brilliant and cost a fraction, absolute fraction, of the likes of Pampers. 

The stuff we top up on in Asda is stuff like ground coffee; the stuff in Aldi really isn't that nice but it's the only thing we have found that we don't really like too much. 

I'd recommend Aldi to anyone to be honest. I can't imagine how much is being saved compared to the likes of Sainsbury's.

#26 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:49 AM

The price difference is amazing, although I find Asda fairly close to Aldi.

I prefer Aldi over Lidl, except for the bakery section - the stuff at Aldi is rotten and all the stuff at Lidl is freshly baked, they're miles better for that!!

#27 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:22 PM

We use Aldi for most of it, home bargain for branded bits that matter from experience, razors, deodorant, tooth paste etc

We don't really "do brands" in our house and having no kids to say the ketchup tastes weird etc makes it easier. We've got no Apple gadgets or Rolex watches!

I've got the airline hose reel and the colour inspection camera amongst other stuff, you won't get those in Tesco!

#28 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:50 PM

Tools are pretty good as well with good guarantee. My litt compressor from there is great.

Bought several power tools from Lidl and had no major problems for general DIY use, most have a no questions money back 3-year warranty anyway if you keep the receipt.

The food is mostly good too, always reminds me of the better quality supermarket food you can get while on self-catering holidays in France.

Edited by mab01uk, 18 June 2017 - 01:51 PM.

#29 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,899 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:39 AM

I managed to find an Aldi store all the way over in Sydney.

They have been here for close on 10 years now and are pretty much everywhere.

Certainly giving the duopoly of Coles and Woolworths a shake up.

#30 hazpalmer14

hazpalmer14

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Local Club: cumbria mini cruisers

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:49 AM

We went to Asda yesterday purely because we were near by and needed to go shopping. Walked away spending £75, although £10 was on booze and £9 on cat food. We walked away with barely anything. We have already made the switch to Lidl as we prefer it to Aldi. We get most of the shop from Lidl and then just top it up with the stuff we like or we find better from Asda as there is a smaller one closer to our house. It has cut our food shop bill in half at least i think, we certinly get more for our money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users