#1 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:16 AM

So here we are, this is a complete re build of my 1979 Mini 1000 saloon that I won an eBay auction for around a month ago. Picked it up from a really nice guy who was also another mini enthusiast of which I have made my summer project before I go back to university in September.

This project actully started around a month ago when i got the car, but ive just not had the time to start a build thread.

ARZSih.jpg

Y4xCL6.jpg

aQlxZC.jpg

bCuNYM.jpg

So its pretty bad, the worst is the drivers side, few patches in the boot floor. this car needs quite a bit of welding :D. the car itself has not run for 19 years or so meaning every nut and bolt is seized, making every 30 second job take hours :angry: .

I'm working on the car day and night so progress is going well so far but so far the only thing i seem to be getting back from this car is many injuries :ohno:  literally 

because this post is a bit overdue, ill post a few more posts to show my progress so far.

thanks for looking and stay tuned for more to follow!

#2 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:23 AM

Good to have you on board, looks like an interesting project, good luck in getting it done in the time scale. What are your plans for it? You may want to become a TMF+ member; it only cost £5 and for that you'll be entitled to discounts from various suppliers including 7.5% from Minispares and it supports the forum as well.

#3 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:00 AM

Good to have you on board, looks like an interesting project, good luck in getting it done in the time scale. What are your plans for it? You may want to become a TMF+ member; it only cost £5 and for that you'll be entitled to discounts from various suppliers including 7.5% from Minispares and it supports the forum as well.

Thanks mate, aha yes everyone tells me that. Looking to keep it original and get it resprayed in teal blue, wont take it down to bare metal as its original red paint underneath the poorly sprayed blue is holding up ok, so ill probably take the blue which will save a lot of time. Going to put a stage 1 kit on it nothing that ruins the look of the car just something that sounds a bit nicer and gives me a bit more power :D .

the guy i bought it off suggested the TMF+ idea so ill probably venture into it as this car needs a fair few parts!

#4 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:07 AM

So a quick update from work that was done a few weeks ago,

b4F2Ap.jpg

cT4pS3.jpg

the car is 90% stripped down onnly thing that is left is the rear sub

m46rSr.jpg

dQSmK3.jpg

Just started tearing the engine down too, its in pretty bad shape. the only thing that is holding me up is waiting for my clutch puller, valve spring compressor and piston ring compressor in the post!

#5 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:09 AM

On a smaller topic, decided to restore the original 70s stereo in the car this morning, took around 3 hours but im very pleases with the results;

Before/during

yKQ7mx.jpg

and after!

2g4OaD.jpg

#6 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:14 AM

On a smaller topic, decided to restore the original 70s stereo in the car this morning, took around 3 hours but im very pleases with the results;
Before/during
yKQ7mx.jpg

and after!

2g4OaD.jpg

Looks good, have you installed any updates into it?

#7 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:27 AM

Before/during
yKQ7mx.jpg

and after!

2g4OaD.jpg

Looks good, have you installed any updates into it?

aha yes updated it wit Bluetooth and Dolby! no but in all seriousness just cleaned, repaired and tested it so far. i wanted to add a cassette player to keep that retro feel but maybe at a later stage. I've seen kits for these stereos that actually convert them to Bluetooth, aux etc but at this point i think its best if i get the car running first :proud:

#8 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:09 PM

Nice to see another little mini 1000 being done, its a shame your not keeping the original interior colour i am a bit of a fan of that shade but each to there own your choice of blue will look just as nice and it will look a nice little retro car at the end.

#9 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:01 PM

So today i continued with my engine tear down and managed to get my hands on a welder so I should be able to start on the bodywork in the next week or so!

However upon inspecting my front subframe it looks like one of its mounts is bent?

mqo85E.jpg

o4vOqe.jpg

Anyone got any thoughts?

#10 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:57 PM

So today i continued with my engine tear down and managed to get my hands on a welder so I should be able to start on the bodywork in the next week or so!
However upon inspecting my front subframe it looks like one of its mounts is bent?
mqo85E.jpg

o4vOqe.jpg

Anyone got any thoughts?

What is the toe board like, is that bent?

#11 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:51 AM

mqo85E.jpg

o4vOqe.jpg

Anyone got any thoughts?

What is the toe board like, is that bent?

By the looks of it, I think so

GwXx2I.jpg

lCF7AN.jpg

I4aT3W.jpg

its pretty difficult to get a good photo, but it certainly looks like its dented in. S**t

could either replace the panel or simply spend a day trying to straighten it out

#12 mini_matt_106

mini_matt_106

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:42 PM

Get a BFH.

The first word's big, the last one's hammer

#13 Psycho-biker

Psycho-biker

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:49 AM

Nice progress!!!

I had a double take on that radio, it looks like you just bought a new old stock unit!  :proud:  Good effort!

that subframe will straighten out i reckon, from memory on that toe board it was a bit rotten wasnt it? So get that replaced and use reference points to check the subframe lines up straight, or check it against a good.

When its stripped thats the easy bit done but keep chipping away at it!

Good to see its being saved!

Im following this one!

#14 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:38 PM

So just a quick update, engine is nearly cleaned up and ready to go back together, going to need some new rings for the pistons but no serious re-bore stuff fortunately!

The head and rocker cover where my first targets and i thought they deserved before and after pics:

dD4wWp.jpg

LRH8WO.jpg

QBRYly.jpg

NJh3e9.jpg

So everything is finished in BMC Green, I'm pretty pleased with the results, but still a long way to go :proud:

Welding commences this week so a few all nighter's and maybe in a few weeks she'l be sanded and primered ready for paint! Maybe a bit ambitious, what can i say I'm an optimist :lol:

#15 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:44 AM

A freshly painted cylinder head and rocker cover look so good! The classic green just looks perfect! 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users