#31 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:30 PM

So its update time! 

Although I'm at uni, I've been going back home when I can on weekends to get a few bits and pieces done, even bringing some bits back to work on in my uni room!

so the main bit, brake and fuel lines put on;

IMG_0119_zpshqyptpxq.jpg

And the cars been flipped onto its rear sub;

IMG_0120_zpsvwzp7nsf.jpg

This is primarily because the underside is done with the exception of the sills and door step of which I'll do with the car this way up. I know its easier to do them upside down but the car needed to go back the right way up and onto its wheels for winter, where It'll live in the garage for the next few months.

I have to say, the underside does look pretty good;

IMG_0121_zpsh8rxjn1l.jpg

Some smaller bits, I originally wanted those nice black vinyl seats you get in the mk3, the car came with none and I hate those horrible fabric ones BL changed to on the mk4 onwards.

So I got a hold of a set of front seats out of a clubman estate for £5 on ebay, a disgusting brown colour. They needed a special kind of treatment;

20171029_133541_zpswd8htut6.jpg

20171029_133544_zpskne86iqu.jpg

Once stripped and cleaned up a bit, I got myself a couple of cans of Halfords Black vinyl spray paint and this resulted;

20171103_163326_zpsx3ywibuu.jpg

20171103_163410_zpstgbdxt68.jpg

I was very happy with the result, but for getting as close to what I originally wanted for around 25 quid all in, really isn't that bad. The one on the left still needs to be done, when i get the time!

I've just got hold of a new front sub frame in really good nic, came with brand new rubber bushes for nearly every part on it too! So that's the next priority, go over it with my wire brush on the grinder, wipe and coat with POR 15. 

#32 mini_matt_106

mini_matt_106

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:39 AM

Excellent work on the floor there buddy! How did you flip it over? I need to clean and repaint my floor but nervous to try and turn it over!

#33 Steve8274

Steve8274

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:17 PM

Looks great. I need to spray my top dash rail so interesting to see that the paint seems to work ok.
What size copper pipe did you use for fuel hose and have you put it through the floor or are you going to join it underneath? Do you need to put a flare on end to keep rubber fuel hose attached?
Thanks

#34 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:23 PM

Excellent work on the floor there buddy! How did you flip it over? I need to clean and repaint my floor but nervous to try and turn it over!

Thanks, once you get it down to a bare shell it really does not weigh that much. I asked a couple of mates to give me a hand, we lifted it, rested it on its side against a couple of tyres to stop the tarmac damaging the body, then flipped it onto the rear sub frame. with about 3 people its pretty easy but i suppose you could do it by yourself, you just might damage that freshly repaired bodywork!

#35 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:30 PM

Looks great. I need to spray my top dash rail so interesting to see that the paint seems to work ok.
What size copper pipe did you use for fuel hose and have you put it through the floor or are you going to join it underneath? Do you need to put a flare on end to keep rubber fuel hose attached?
Thanks

Thanks, yeah that paint works an absolute treat, i was a bit sceptical but so long as the prep is good , then it should turn out really good. Not sure on the fuel line as its the original one, the brake line however was one i got from minispares that came in a spool.

With the rubber hose on the main copper fuel line, there held on with a couple of jubilee clips at either end, the copper runs under the car then the rubber hose flexes it up into the boot and the fuel pump at the front. I think if you put a flare on, youll never get the rubber hose onto the line, a jubilee clip will do the job if the rubber line is still a tight fit onto the copper line, that way you'll have a good seal and the clip simply retains the two together.

#36 Steve8274

Steve8274

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:30 PM

Thanks

Thanks, yeah that paint works an absolute treat, i was a bit sceptical but so long as the prep is good , then it should turn out really good. Not sure on the fuel line as its the original one, the brake line however was one i got from minispares that came in a spool.
With the rubber hose on the main copper fuel line, there held on with a couple of jubilee clips at either end, the copper runs under the car then the rubber hose flexes it up into the boot and the fuel pump at the front. I think if you put a flare on, youll never get the rubber hose onto the line, a jubilee clip will do the job if the rubber line is still a tight fit onto the copper line, that way you'll have a good seal and the clip simply retains the two together.

Thanks for the info 👍

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares