16 replies to this topic

#1 alittleawkward

alittleawkward

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:18 PM

I'm sure I've seen a topic here about this before, but for looks and practicality I'm looking at making my 83' mayfair's side windows converted from vertical to horizontal sliders. Is anyone aware of any kits to do this that are currently available, or has done it themselves? My windows are currently being shredded by the mechanisms inside the door so it's a good excuse to do something like this now.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:24 PM

http://www.plastics4...rsion-3087.html

so thats 264 quid before you think of putting plastic in them. 

i would just fix my winder kit my self.

#3 alittleawkward

alittleawkward

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:57 PM

I'm pretty set on getting sliders, regardless of the condition of my current windows. It's just an extra excuse to get it done sooner.

Has anyone successfully DIY'ed this kinda thing?

Edited by alittleawkward, 15 June 2017 - 11:01 PM.

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,898 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:03 AM

sure buy the W trim, the finishing bits and cut the inner part and fold it down. and then find someone who can cut some windows to the correct size from some Polly-carbonate with a hard glaze finish. As they doors are not the same size as the MK1 so you cant use old glass.

#5 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:10 AM

Practicality? Surely wind ups are far more practical for use. 

#6 alittleawkward

alittleawkward

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:19 PM

I'd suppose it's highly dependent upon use. In terms of function though, surely a simple slide is much more practical then 30 seconds of stiff winding (with my weaker hand). To be honest I wouldn't know as I've never really used this kind of window outside of a mini bus; can anyone enlighten me on experiences between the 2 windows?

#7 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:34 PM

Practicality on venting at speed, security? I've never ever had an issue with winding it, surely? Just needs greasing if it's tight (that's what she said) :lol:

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,898 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:38 PM

I'd suppose it's highly dependent upon use. In terms of function though, surely a simple slide is much more practical then 30 seconds of stiff winding (with my weaker hand). To be honest I wouldn't know as I've never really used this kind of window outside of a mini bus; can anyone enlighten me on experiences between the 2 windows?

yes had both. would not go back to sliding. 

ventilation is not as good, security is well easier to open than a winding window but Minis are not secure anyway.

#9 alittleawkward

alittleawkward

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:14 PM

How come? Besides the points raised, are there any other reasons?

#10 JamesC

JamesC

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

I find the sliding windows have great ventilation when you put them in the right position.

If you want a set of sliding windows go for it! :)

#11 bluemini1979

bluemini1979

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Local Club: Colchester Mini Club

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:31 PM

I've done it but had the windows remade in glass. Wedged in a strip at the to of the door to take the runners made some templates out of Perspex and sent them to a local company. Charged me £50 a piece of glass so £200 all in and they have stored the program for the CBC machine for if I break one. Looks good as I have also done external hinges with it and everything mk1 externally but god it's hot when sitting in traffic but really nice on the road as get a breeze without the wind noise

#12 SomethingNew71

SomethingNew71

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Local Club: Carolinas Classic Minis United

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:38 PM

I can't imagine wanting sliding windows over roll down windows but to each their own.  It's hotter than hell with slider windows in the summer here.  Air never really has a chance to fully escape and the "natural AC" is not really a thing with sliders.

#13 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:33 PM

Echoing whats been said already really, I have a mini with each window type and as much as sliding windows have that vintage feel they are a pain in the bum. 

They are nowhere near as secure, especially with the plastic catches. They don't ventilate nearly as well, currently driving mine in the heat we have is pretty uncomfortable at any speed less than 40 as you don't get any airflow. Winders are much better plus if properly lubricated they don't need to be heavy to operate, after all the mini was the popular choice for the old ladies way back when. 

#14 Dylanscar

Dylanscar

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:45 AM

Hi Guys,

Okay some are for and some against sliding doors. I'm definitely for however P4P don't make them any more. M-machine do the rails but does any of you knowlegable lot have an idea of the full parts needed and where to get them?
Would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

#15 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,898 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:51 AM

well as the early glass (doors) are a different shape to the later doors you will be using plastic unless you can get some tempered glass made to fit the bigger doors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users