88 replies to this topic

#46 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:44 AM

a 1275 head on an 1100 will probably need the bores clearances to miss the  valves as they will over hang, apparently you can get away with it with a very mild standard cam,

cams can swap between all engine sizes, but there are three types of oil pump drive, and you will need the applicable oil pump, but nearly every thing is slot drive now as this cam in in the early 80's.

#47 Kilpot

Kilpot

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:46 AM

So the block would need machining so the values dont hit the bores? if you get that done can you then run a more aggressive cam? Ow okay ill make sure I keep an eye on that as well.

#48 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:40 AM

yep,

details here.

http://www.calverst....0-head-fitting/

#49 Kilpot

Kilpot

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:16 PM

very useful information thanks! how much does it normally cost to get that machine work like that done? 

Thanks again

#50 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:43 PM

probably about 60 quid, but engine obviously needs to have been stripped.

#51 Kilpot

Kilpot

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

Ow thats not to bad, yeah i guessed that. Thinking it might just be worth getting the 1275 engine i have laying about bored to 1293 and using that instead as it seems like it would be about the same amount of effort and then I can still use the car while building it up. 

#52 Kilpot

Kilpot

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:33 AM

So My dad has an original mechanics book for the metro turbo and it shows all of the different thing that are different on the turbo engine and one of the things seems to be different is it has an extra fuel system(I think its a fuel return) I haven't seen anyone mention this before so was just wondering if it was needed and if so why? 

Thanks 

#53 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:38 AM

yes theres a feed and return from the fuel regulator, its definatly needed. it works in the same way as any modern injection car, the fuel pump sends fuel to the reg, and the reg "dams" it back unitl the desired pressure is reached ( in this cas 3 psi plus boost pressure) the reg then dumps any exess back to the tank.

the easiest way to do this in a mini is to get hold of an MPI tank as it has a suitable pump buit into the fuel tank. you can use the SPI tank, but you are limited to about 15psi boost unless you swap the pump out for a higher pressure one.

#54 Kilpot

Kilpot

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:41 PM

Ok thanks. I will have to get a pump as I have a clubman estate so the tank is completely different. Any idea where i should have a look to find out what I will have to do as i have no idea what parts are needed and how it would all be plumbed up hah.

Thanks again mini13 for all the info

#55 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:21 PM

ah, the estate tank does complicate things somewhat,

have a read of this.

http://www.turbomini...p=vt&tid=459785

#56 Kilpot

Kilpot

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:02 AM

Thanks there seems to be enough information on there so get an idea of what i need to do!

A few more questions hah.

Do i have to modify my bulk head to fit a plenum chamber in?

Are there any build threads / lists the list everything you need to turbo a mini? as so far my list is just made up of what a few people who have started there build but not finished them have listed and im not to sure on all the things I need. Its mainly the small things im not sure on like i didnt know about the fuel return and stuff.

The things I think i need are as follows.

Block bored to 1293.

Omega pistons.

Kent 500 or similar cam.

Better head.

Fusion fabs manifold.

SCCR gearset.

xpin diff.

Hif44 carb - then rebuilt with a turbo rebuild kit - then you have to do something else to it to get it to be higher pressure then the plenum or the fuel will just get pushed back in. Tee piece trick might fix this?

GT 1752 turbo from Saab model 9-3 or 9-5.

High capacity oil pump?

Plenum chamber from either fusion fabs or a mg metro turbo one off ebay.

Ford sierra cosworth intercooler.

A high pressure fuel pump? still a bit confused with the whole fueling thing haha, I now know I need a fuel return and will have to mod my tank and stuff :(

Im guessing I need a dump valve too.

And an uprated clutch - dont know what one.

Thats all the stuff I know about so far, what little bits and bobs im I missing(I expect there is quite a few little things). 

Thanks again.

Edited by Kilpot, 04 August 2017 - 09:14 AM.

#57 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,415 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:33 AM

It's not the plenum, it's the turbo itself that lacks clearance. It can be done without cutting with a custom manifold and smaller turbo than the Metty's T3.

I have a van tank, I drilled through the fuel sender's fixing plate and fitted a pipe with a bulkhead fitting. I'd be tempted to try just teeing in the return before the pump if I did it again.

#58 Kilpot

Kilpot

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:44 AM

Awesome thats what I thought! the fusion fabs manifold says that no bulk head mods are needed so thats perfect. Stupid question what do i need to buy? is it like a whole unit with all the pipes and stuff attached to it or do you buy a pump type thing and then buy some the tubes/pipes to plumb it all in.

Thanks guys 

#59 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:37 PM

in terms of fuel pump, you want a generic fuel injection pump, the metro turbo pump was the same pump used on most rover injection stuff i belive,

somthing like this,

http://www.ebay.co.u...4UAAOSwJb9WsJhc

piping can be a pain as the inlet to the pumps is quite large, so you will need to suit reducers etc to the tank/ return fom the tank.

#60 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:42 PM

I sell a suitable fuel pump on my website if you need one. Though that eBay one will suffice.

Phil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users