88 replies to this topic

#76 Kilpot

Kilpot

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:14 PM

I was planning on running a straight cut box already just to be safe so thats okay. There are a few good cams I know of the Kent 500, std n/a mg metro cam and the avonbar racing Phase 2 cam. Would they be okay? Head wise I'm not 100% sure what to go for yet though. One more quick one, what pistons do you guys run in your 1293s? links to some pistons would be perfect so i can get an idea of what im looking for.

Thanks again guys 

#77 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:36 PM

the kent 500 and the NA MG metro cam are the same, and are a good cam, although you might need to step up to the avonbar ph2 to get 180hp, although I do know of engines that have made 180hp with the MG cam.

another good cam would be the kent 274i, probably about hal way between the two cams above.

pistons wise, you cant go wrong with cast omegas as long as you can get the compression ratio down to about 8.5:1 otherwise you'll need to be looking at pisons with a biger dish like the forged ones.

http://www.avonbar-r...0-10cc-Dish-set

http://www.avonbar-r...-Bowl-0201293cc

#78 Kilpot

Kilpot

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:57 AM

Perfect that was the cam I was leaning towards anyway. I think i might just the get engine kit from Avonbar racing as it seems to have most of the part on it that I would be using anyway and also has a few extra nice parts  too. http://www.avonbar-r...Engine-Kit-1293 it does seem a bit overkill and expensive but just means I wont have to upgrade parts down the line in seek of more power hah. 

#79 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:43 AM

it will save you a fair bit of hassle too and it will be a fresh engine, it might be worth talking to them about dropping the cutch off of the order if your going RTS, that coul kneck a chunck off.

#80 Kilpot

Kilpot

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:13 PM

haha it just so has it I have already asked them if they could do this hah. 

#81 Kilpot

Kilpot

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:24 PM

Do you guys know what heads are people using to get 180-200bhp? 

also is there any build threads that show someone doing a complete turbo conversion from start to finish? I cant seem to find any 

Thanks 

#82 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:30 PM

Have a word with turbophil for a Head, he does nice work for less than the main company's

#83 magicmat

magicmat

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Local Club: FABMOC

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

I am selling all my turbo parts, including Kent 500 cam, inlet, block, forged pistons etc etc

See this thread, 

you may be interested

http://www.theminifo...-turbo-plentum/

#84 1989minimayfair

1989minimayfair

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:38 AM

hi all ive got a 1275cc engine/looking to turbo can i get away with standerd big end and camshaft shells?

#85 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:18 AM

absolutely,

in about 1984 the engine swapped bearing  main bearing types, the lower halfs had the groove deleted to increase load carrying, so the later ones are preferable, they can be fitted to earlier blocks by filling the applicable locating groove into the bearing caps.

#86 Kilpot

Kilpot

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:22 PM

Right guys its been a while but I just picked up a working 1293 for a good deal. I was wondering if I could still turbo it without changing the pistons for low compression ones? just looking to get around 100ish hp while I save up for the gearbox and other trick bits.  

#87 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:04 AM

probably, if its bored out, chances are the pistons are of better qaulity than standard so will be ok for turbo use, it really comes down to how many cc's are int he piston dish and if you can get a sensible compression ratio,  if you can get it down to close 9:1 then you'll be ok with an intercooler.

also check that the cam in its not too mad.and also its always a good idea to re ring and bust the bore glaze.

#88 Kilpot

Kilpot

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:56 PM

Yeah that what I expecting. Ill just run it for a while like it is then just do it all in one big hit. I'm thinking of doing the bmw k1100 16v head at the same time as its fuel injected so kills two birds in one stone.

#89 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 20 December 2018 - 10:24 PM

Have a chat with benross from turbo minis.
I know he has a fresh engine build ready to go out that he hasn't advertised yet. And that will be capable of the 180 if you get him to sort you the head. Top bloke.
He has always built my turbo and na motors.

yeah, Think I bought that engine.  :D  :bah:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users