16 replies to this topic

#1 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:43 PM

Hi everyone, so the 1275 in my Mini recently went bang, meaning I'm on the hunt for a replacement. A very good friend of mine has just messaged me saying that he has a recently rebuilt 1340 from an A40 for sale. He told me that it has been used recently in an MG Midget, but was then taken out for a K-series swap. 

So I guess I'm just asking what sort of adaptations will need to be made to fit the engine to the Mini. Obviously engine mounts, but I can't think of anything else. If anyone has some info they could share with me then that would be great! I just want to know what would need doing before i commit.

Cheers

Chris

#2 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:57 PM

Midget is rear wheel drive presume a40is too so gearbox will be wrong. I assume there will be much more as I remember reading that it's not really worth converting rear to front drive

#3 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:59 PM

Hi everyone, so the 1275 in my Mini recently went bang, meaning I'm on the hunt for a replacement. A very good friend of mine has just messaged me saying that he has a recently rebuilt 1340 from an A40 for sale. He told me that it has been used recently in an MG Midget, but was then taken out for a K-series swap. 

So I guess I'm just asking what sort of adaptations will need to be made to fit the engine to the Mini. Obviously engine mounts, but I can't think of anything else. If anyone has some info they could share with me then that would be great! I just want to know what would need doing before i commit.

Cheers

Chris

The crank and block are different.

#4 dobbin1999

dobbin1999

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:13 PM

Short answer - It won't fit!

#5 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:21 PM

Midget is rear wheel drive presume a40is too so gearbox will be wrong. I assume there will be much more as I remember reading that it's not really worth converting rear to front drive

damn... I knew midgets were rear wheel drive, but didn't now A40's were! Oh well, back to the drawing board! 

Edited by Chris1992, 20 June 2017 - 04:29 PM.

#6 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:56 PM

It would go in my minor a treat though :D

#7 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:02 PM

It would go in my minor a treat though :D

It's alright for some!  :lol:

#8 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:40 PM

I knew someone who used an A+ block with a Mini crank, so if you really want it might be possible to use your A40 block which I suspect is not actually A40 but much later to get it to 1340.

Edit: -  Look at the picture of the block here http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/296422-caesar-the-red-1275e/page-15    Note the position of the oil filter is not the usual Mini place.

Edited by greenwheels, 20 June 2017 - 06:45 PM.

#9 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:02 PM

It was probably a midget engine to start with.

#10 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:17 PM

make the mini RWD!

#11 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,843 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:31 PM

The blocks are fundamentally similar, I've never done a conversion, however, I believe that the rear bearing cap needs a bit machined off it as the rear main seal on a mini is in a different location and of course, the crank is different as Northernpower mentioned.

The Front Engine Plates are also different, but can easily be swapped or modified.

#12 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:41 PM

Edit: -  Look at the picture of the block here http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/296422-caesar-the-red-1275e/page-15    Note the position of the oil filter is not the usual Mini place.

That is the position of the oil filter on South African built Mini engine blocks........(the much later UK built MPi Mini also has the oil filter mounted direct to the block in a similar way)

sa-oilfilter_zps82a2ba65.jpg

South African 1275GT
"While the Clubman story was very different in Australia, as detailed in Issues 19 and 25, the South African Clubman had its own unique history – particularly the 1275GT. Like Australia, South Africa dictated local content levels to obtain import excise rebates and greater tariff protection. However, where Australia’s local content rules were based on a percentage of production cost, South Africa’s was based on a percentage of vehicle weight."
"Based on the UK 1275cc Cooper S engine block, the South African engines featured integral side covers and an internal oil filter gallery, which allowed the filter to be placed high on the block, above the starter motor. Like the Cooper S engine, the bore was 70.64mm and the stroke was 81.33mm to achieve 1275cc. 1098cc was easily achieved with a shorter-stroke crank and different pistons (and requiring a different camshaft), giving a stroke of 69.85mm – as opposed to the 68.26mm of the 1071cc Cooper S.
This allowed a great deal of interchangeability of parts which, combined with the 1275cc unit being used in the ADO16 models and a local 1300 Marina, provided a significant cost saving over using different engines.
With this background, the South African Mini Clubman was released on 6 August 1971 – ten days before the Clubman was released in Australia. Unlike the Aussie Clubman, though, the Springbok version looked very much like the UK version, with concealed door hinges, full-width winding windows and no door pockets."
http://miniexperienc...-26/1275gt.html

SA%20Mini%20-%201983_zps9ncvorea.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 20 June 2017 - 10:55 PM.

#13 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:56 AM

I think the oil pump is the showstopper. Correct me if I am having a memory lapse, but don't the inline engines have it on the lower end of the distributor drive? That would foul the gears on a Mini.

#14 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:16 PM

I can't see why the Marina a series engine would have the oil pump anywhere else than the cam shaft end. Tiger, are you thinking of the O series engine?

#15 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:41 PM

For the cost of the machining, adaptor parts and extra work to fit an in-line unit, you could buy and install a Mini 1275 engine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users