Photo
- - - - -

Lateral Play In Drive Shaft - What Gives?

suspension

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 paul.mcewen

paul.mcewen

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:34 AM

I am trying to eliminate a wobble on the right front wheel of my Mk1 De Luxe Saloon with twin leading drum brakes.

I have replaced:

-  wheel bearings and races (with genuine Timkens)

-  driving flange

-  brake drum

There is no left to right movement in the driving flange itself, but there is persistent play in the drive shaft - about 1/16"  - left to right, on the right hand (passenger in North America) side.  There is no such play on the LHS.

What do I need to repair/replace? 

Please help an enthusiast in Canada!!

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,844 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:56 AM

It could be a number of things;-

Worn Hub - so the bearings will never 'take up', this feel initially the same as worn bearings

Ball Joints - Wear and play in these. They are shimmed when initially assembled, however these are not for 'routine adjustment' if they wear

as they don't wear in an even way. The only safe option is to replace them. The Lower Ball Joint in particular can be trick to detect when

the jack is jacked up and there is a spring in it, so you're fight that. It's easiest to check with a helper

Loose Steering Arm - This is bolted up to the hub. The bolts can feel tight, but in fact not be. The threads are open and fill with crud, so

sometimes you need to remove the bolt and clean the thread before trying to tighten again.

Could also be a worn steering rack.

#3 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:23 AM

You say left and right? are you pulling and pushing the drive shaft in and out of the CV or do you mean the the drive shaft is moving laterally in the CV? Or are you wiggling the wheel and tyre. Sorry but not understanding what the problem is or where it is......

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:22 AM

or is it the inner CV cage moving in the CV.

pictures of what you are moving as above not clear.

#5 paul.mcewen

paul.mcewen

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:30 PM

Hi again, and thanks for your responses.

I'll try to clarify again with words ( I wish I knew how to post a picture as an attachment).  

I am pulling and pushing the drive shaft in and out of the swivel hub.  The drive shaft is moving about 1/16" to 1/8" between the middle of the car and side of the car.  Left to right as you look at the car from the front.  When I do this, the drum and flange do not appear to move.

When the car is in gear and running, looking at the driving flange from the front of the car, the driving flange does not spin in perfect vertical alignment.  There is sway of about 1/8" at the top, towards to the centre of the car.  The drive shaft also does not spin as a cylinder should - it wobbles.

I hope that helps a bit ...  If someone could kindly advise how to attach a picture, I'd be grateful ...

Cheers,

#6 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:37 PM

Drive shaft movement is normal If there was no play you'd be banging on the wheel bearings or diff with suspension movement. also the drive shafts are not machined so having them wobble a little is normal. If you have no play in the wheel bearings I would think the problem is in the drive flange. Check run out with a DTI to check run out.

#7 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,844 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:38 PM

Sounds like worn drive flange, wheel bearings and / or hub.

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:23 AM

but would not that allow drum movement?

I'll try to clarify again with words ( I wish I knew how to post a picture as an attachment).  

When the car is in gear and running, looking at the driving flange from the front of the car, the driving flange does not spin in perfect vertical alignment.  There is sway of about 1/8" at the top, towards to the centre of the car.  The drive shaft also does not spin as a cylinder should - it wobbles.

sounds like movement in the CV only.

#9 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:06 PM

I hope that helps a bit ...  If someone could kindly advise how to attach a picture, I'd be grateful ...

Cheers,

Follow this thread http://www.theminifo...ictures-on-tmf/

#10 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,844 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:53 PM

but would not that allow drum movement?

I'm only trying to work from the description, however, I think you maybe right.

Reading it again, I'm starting to wonder if it's a ball joint or inner suspension arm bearing or rubber?

#11 paul.mcewen

paul.mcewen

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:17 PM

Thanks again, everyone.  I think it is the CV joint and/or ball joints.  Back to Minispares!

#12 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:15 PM

Thanks again, everyone.  I think it is the CV joint and/or ball joints.  Back to Minispares!

cant be ball joints.

#13 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:20 PM

I am trying to eliminate a wobble on the right front wheel of my Mk1 De Luxe Saloon with twin leading drum brakes.

I have replaced:

-  wheel bearings and races (with genuine Timkens)

-  driving flange

-  brake drum

There is no left to right movement in the driving flange itself, but there is persistent play in the drive shaft - about 1/16"  - left to right, on the right hand (passenger in North America) side.  There is no such play on the LHS.

What do I need to repair/replace? 

Please help an enthusiast in Canada!!

First when you say left right you mean gross car?

so drive flange does not have play. so bearings OK

drive shaft. it is floating in the inboard mount. so as to allow the drive shaft length to change as the suspension moves up and down.

outboard there is a C clip in the end that engages in the CV so that will allow "some" movment then you have the CV its self there can be some play between the inner and outers via the balls.

are you trying to eliminate something that is not really there?

#14 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:46 PM

It seems like a lot of play for drive shaft float but far less than you would get with a missing or broken C clip (which, although very rare, would be dangerous as the shaft might come out on full suspension travel at speed). Is it possible that the thick clip in the shaft groove, that the CV inner abuts against, is worn and allowing the shaft to go slightly too far into the CV?

I also wonder if it might be possible to feel through the gaiter to see if in fact the CV ball cage or inner member do have end float with respect to the outer? That is rare, end of CV life is normally indicated by the dreaded clicking due to side wear in the cage slots, not the almost concentric spherical surfaces.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users