15 replies to this topic

#1 driftz

driftz

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:10 AM

Anyone on here running one and if so how do you have it plumbed in?

#2 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:31 AM

On a mini box?

why would you want or need one!

#3 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:35 AM

I plan on running one on my 60 8 Port haven't got round to deciding on plumbing yet, but will probably tee it into the oil cooler lines at the oilstat.

#4 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:31 AM

Anyone on here running one and if so how do you have it plumbed in?

Interested in what your reasons are for wanting to do this. What are you hoping to achieve over say a centre oil pickup and regularly changed quality oil?

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:59 AM

i had to google that.

but yes i now remember them,

never needed to consider them.

#6 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:28 PM

The very fastest minis around never needed these.

#7 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:39 PM

Mines intended as a pre oiler more than anything else, when you switch off the engine it keeps a litre or so of pressured oil, when you switch on the Ign for the next start this is then forced around the engine to pre oil before cranking the engine. And if you ever do uncover the oil pick up on hard sweeping bends (even a centre oil pick up will uncover eventually) it staves of any disasters. 

It's all to do with prevention when you've spent thousands building your dream motor why not?

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:03 PM

Mines intended as a pre oiler more than anything else, when you switch off the engine it keeps a litre or so of pressured oil, when you switch on the Ign for the next start this is then forced around the engine to pre oil before cranking the engine. And if you ever do uncover the oil pick up on hard sweeping bends (even a centre oil pick up will uncover eventually) it staves of any disasters. 

It's all to do with prevention when you've spent thousands building your dream motor why not?

nope not needed

if you uncover the pick up you have bigger issues.

this never had oil pressure issues or uncovered the pick up.

https://youtu.be/kJ0IY8yf0Z8

#9 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:54 AM

nope not needed

if you uncover the pick up you have bigger issues.

this never had oil pressure issues or uncovered the pick up.

https://youtu.be/kJ0IY8yf0Z8

I agree not needed, in the same way as seat belt's aren't needed or lifebelts in a boat aren't needed......................Until they are.

#10 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:22 AM

Must admit I like the pre oiling idea

#11 driftz

driftz

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:43 AM

Thanks, was more of a general race car prep question. I know many race cars of all sorts use them and with the mini's high cornering speeds I would think it would be a good safety item to aid against oiling problems, however it seems they are not so popular so many are not needed with a central oil pickup

#12 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:06 AM

They are popular with the vintage racers in the USA well at least around here they are....................................

#13 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:19 AM

Thanks, was more of a general race car prep question. I know many race cars of all sorts use them and with the mini's high cornering speeds I would think it would be a good safety item to aid against oiling problems, however it seems they are not so popular so many are not needed with a central oil pickup

I think you may be trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Even the quick racers don't find it necessary; a central pickup and quality oil with regular changes will look after the engine. The problem lies with low oil levels through not checking.

#14 Surf Blue

Surf Blue

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:48 PM

^^^^ agree with this, I work in historic Motorsport and nothing we run use an accusump.

#15 jabos7

jabos7

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:46 PM

I agree with MiniMan on the pre-oil idea.  I'm considering the same issue, as my finished Mk3 will not be a daily driver, prone to sit for

extended periods between shows, autocross events, etc.    After such a period I'm concerned about start-up damage.  I'm in the midst

of my rebuild as I write this, and when I go out to the garage in a bit I already know what I'll see on some parts that I oiled yesterday as I

prepped for assembly --most has run off only leaving a light film, which is fine for now but what about 2 months or more from now?

Assembly Lube is fine, long duration for the build and start.  But after that has cleared out what other options are there?  Heavier weight

oil to prolong "clinging" to parts?  

I also can't fathom the best plumbing for an accusump, even with the external oil line, that doesn't involve check valves, etc. to get the oil

where it needs to be for optimum results.  -Maybe tapping the valve cover and fitting a spray bar --let gravity be your guide.

This makes my head hurt--- time to go try and figure out LSD's --that'll result in a migraine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users