auroan

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:14 AM

Hi All,

Just thought I'd pop by and say hi :-) 

I've just picked up a 1992 Mini 1275 Sprite in white.  It's a bit of a project and hasn't been very well looked after.  The engine is strong, but the body work is shot.  I'm desperately looking for a clean and more importantly straight shell (including doors, bonnet and boot)... otherwise I may have to invest in a heritage shell.

My aim is to get it back to factory fresh condition.  My other half has always wanted a classic mini and my parents have own several in the past.

Cheers

Danny

#2 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:25 AM

Hi All,

Just thought I'd pop by and say hi :-) 

I've just picked up a 1992 Mini 1275 Sprite in white.  It's a bit of a project and hasn't been very well looked after.  The engine is strong, but the body work is shot.  I'm desperately looking for a clean and more importantly straight shell (including doors, bonnet and boot)... otherwise I may have to invest in a heritage shell.

My aim is to get it back to factory fresh condition.  My other half has always wanted a classic mini and my parents have own several in the past.

Cheers

Danny

Welcome to the forum. You may struggle to find a decent shell and if you do you'll obviously have to use the identity of the replacement shell. The heritage option will prove to be quite expensive at £8k upwards to purchase prep and paint one.

A better solution would be to learn to weld and repair your existing one.

#3 auroan

auroan

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:33 AM

So... if anyone has watched "project binky" on youtube... my shell is as bad as that one.  The reason I'm thinking of a heritage shell is that I get the chance to do a nut and bolt restoration of the mechanicals (my preference) and know that I have a near as perfect shell as possible.  It's also the "most" legal route regards vehicle ID etc.

I race a bmw e30 and thankfully have a bodyshop sponsor who can do my paint work.... and who has also done a lot a mini restorations.

I'll start stripping down the car and see how bad it really is.  May take some time though while I fit in the racing and day job.

#4 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:36 AM

So... if anyone has watched "project binky" on youtube... my shell is as bad as that one.  The reason I'm thinking of a heritage shell is that I get the chance to do a nut and bolt restoration of the mechanicals (my preference) and know that I have a near as perfect shell as possible.  It's also the "most" legal route regards vehicle ID etc.

I race a bmw e30 and thankfully have a bodyshop sponsor who can do my paint work.... and who has also done a lot a mini restorations.

I'll start stripping down the car and see how bad it really is.  May take some time though while I fit in the racing and day job.

Don't be fooled into thinking heritage shells are great. Some of them need a lot of work to get them up to an acceptable standard.

#5 auroan

auroan

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:44 AM

Don't be fooled into thinking heritage shells are great. Some of them need a lot of work to get them up to an acceptable standard.

Interesting..  What in particular are the usual problems with them ?

Edited by auroan, 26 June 2017 - 11:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users