The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:37 PM

I just can't see how $400 could be deemed reasonable for anyone but a professional user.  There's just no way that many people would pay it.  They'd be better off getting millions of people to pay a fiver or a tenner, than a few thousand to pay $400.

I just can't see a company that's offered free photo hosting for like 15 years suddenly (without prior warning) saying that you have to pay $400 a year for 3rd party hosting.  That said, they've got a lot of people over the barrel.  I'd pay £10 a year just to restore the threads I've got on here, probably more than that.

I've personally got 13 years worth of threads on here alone with images hosted on there.

#17 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:51 PM

I seriously hope it's been hacked... so many info lost here... guides, builds, years of reference work that's worth nothing without pictures

#18 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:55 PM

No they've not been hacked, they genuinly are asking for 400 dollars a year.

Some people have speculated that it's a shock tactic, and they plan to release a statement in a week or so saying they "listen to our users" and cut everyone a sweet deal at $50/year.

Get your photo's out and get them somewhere else before the company go's belly up I say.

Edited by r3k1355, 30 June 2017 - 12:56 PM.

#19 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,897 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:19 PM

Just as an aside to this, its saying that you need to pay $400 to post pictures or 3rd Party hosting. Yet currently my $59.99 plan allows me to post pictures??

Anyway, screw them, can anyone else recommend another site that is easy to use and allows us to post pictures on TMF.

#20 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:21 PM

It is strange, looks like a hack or ransomware. Could it possibly be the UK accounts only? My pictures are still showing up. Check the thread and see if my pictures are visible.

http://www.theminifo...th-radius-arms/

#21 Adam1275

Adam1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Local Club: Causeway Coast Mini Club

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:23 PM

Anyway, screw them, can anyone else recommend another site that is easy to use and allows us to post pictures on TMF.

Flickr allows you to post on here and you get 1TB of free storage!

#22 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:31 PM

It is strange, looks like a hack or ransomware. Could it possibly be the UK accounts only? My pictures are still showing up. Check the thread and see if my pictures are visible.

http://www.theminifo...th-radius-arms/

Yours pics are there! I'm in Canada and mine are gone

#23 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,897 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:32 PM

Cheers, will have a look into that

#24 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:33 PM

For how long? Who knows in 5 years they won't do the same? We need something super reliable

#25 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,897 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:35 PM

For how long? Who knows in 5 years they won't do the same? We need something super reliable

The problem is any platform we want to use could do the same. All of my pictures are backed up on Disc and hard drive as well but its these platforms that we need to post pictures on here and other forums.

#26 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:40 PM

Who would be the correct technical admin to speak to? I have been trying to share photos from Google Drive. I can manually create an IMG link and they work on our local samini.co.za forum, but not on here. If they work, it should be easy enough for me to fix my thread. Transferring all photos to another site is going to be a mission.  

#27 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:40 PM

Anybody contacted Photobucket to find out if this is legit?

#28 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:45 PM

if you have a read of their ToCs it seems to be the 3rd party linking that they have an issue with. as yes that is the price for 500GB no adverts and 3rd party sharing. there are other levels you can pay but no linking.

#29 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:48 PM

The problem is any platform we want to use could do the same. All of my pictures are backed up on Disc and hard drive as well but its these platforms that we need to post pictures on here and other forums.

yep I pulled all my images from Imageshack when they wanted to charge. will be doing the same with photobuckect now.

#30 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:53 PM

if you have a read of their ToCs it seems to be the 3rd party linking that they have an issue with. as yes that is the price for 500GB no adverts and 3rd party sharing. there are other levels you can pay but no linking.

Yes, you are right, it looks like it will eventually hit everybody.

Types of Accounts, Pricing and Limits

• Visiting : There is no cost to visit the Site or to register as a Member.
  • Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.
  • Ad-free Account : The Ad-free Account offers Members the ability to use the Site without seeing any third party banner advertisements when logged into your Ad-free Account (note, viewers of your images within Photobucket will see ads unless they, too, have Plus accounts and you will continue to see Photobucket offers and announcements). This account level is available for $2.49 / month, payable by the Member on a monthly recurring basis.
  • Plus Account : The Plus Account offers several paid options that may give the Paying Member more storage, bandwidth, 3rd party image hosting, image linking and/or other services as outlined below. Once and during such period of time in which you subscribe to and pay for a Plus Account, we will consider you a "Paying Member." Please note that all Plus Account subscriptions are billed annually at the commencement of the service. Photobucket may also offer a monthly billing option for its Plus Accounts (see terms and restrictions, below).
  • Available Plus Account Plans : Photobucket offers the following Plus Account Plans:

o Plus 50 Plan: 52 GB of Storage for $59.99 / Year. The Plus 50 Plan does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 100 Plan: 102 GB of Storage for $99.99 / Year. The Plus 100 Plan allows for unlimited image linking but does not allow 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 500 Plan: 500 GB of Storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 / Year. The Plus 500 Plan allows for unlimited image linking and unlimited 3rd party image hosting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users