pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:35 PM

This is my Mini in all her glory:

IVT0fGa.jpg

I have owned it since February 2014, using it as my sole source of transport for the first year, and then as a second car since then. I have done around 8k miles in it, and I am fortunate to say it has never let me down.

From the records I have I know it had its current paint job in 2006. It is finished in New Holland Blue with a David Brown White roof. That is tractor paint for those of you that don't know. The previous owner considered tractor paint to be the best at keeping rust at bay. 

I was unable to cope with the colossal power of the original 850 A series engine! So I replaced that with a 1275 engine and stage 1 kit last year (stupid really as I should've waited and done all this work at once. I still have the 850 block so if required the car can always be reunited with its original engine at a later date. 

I have never restored a car before, so I hope I can pick it up.

So a few general pictures of how it is right now:

RjRGFuV.jpg

CDDBZow.jpg

T6CSFWf.jpg

WO21Dqz.jpg

M2XSvgX.jpg

OZ8J1kI.jpg

UjTpYvH.jpg

puE3l25.jpg

kqsZAhF.jpg

d0wa10T.jpg

As you can see from a distance it still looks ok. However, up close you can see the signs of rot setting in. The most serious is in the dreaded oversills:

GyZ0J7Q.jpg

cDoTj5v.jpg

3ZOBwuP.jpg

And in the rear companion bin

lOr37y6.jpg

Then a few bits around the rest of the car

xBvvzMR.jpg

wAWl4ua.jpg

CugASqj.jpg

o317bAx.jpg

Bkmf96T.jpg

ot4Z0qd.jpg

zLyZq6Z.jpg

y2LfZz2.jpg

ot4Z0qd.jpg

SZVnOTZ.jpg

1rUgbnS.jpg

I know the floorpans aren't great either, I hope I am capable of sorting these bodywork issues out.

I hope to take the car back to originality as much as possible, whilst keeping the 1275 engine and disc brakes.

The 850 City model was in production for only 14 months, and I have seen no others in original condition. I am under no illusions of this being a valuable model, but original examples of an 850 City must be extremely rare these days.

#2 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:41 PM

I imagine this will take me a couple of years. I do not yet know how to weld, also my budget needs to be tight!

A good spray job will then be needed, so I am sure that will hit my wallet hard! I hope to have the whole car redone in Pageant Blue.

#3 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:12 PM

Nice looking mini, that must have been getting near the end of production of the 850cc engine. I think they finished them the following year (1980) and went over to the 998cc engines. Good luck with it.

#4 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:07 PM

i dont know if the engine i had in my first mini was the original, but i think it was and that was a 82 and it was 850...

nice car, looking forward to the progress.

#5 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:51 PM

Had a busy weekend, so didn't get a great deal done.

Got the seats and the steering wheel out but that was about it. Think I'll have to pick up the pace to get this done before the end of the decade!

9upSfPf.jpg

nnedpX3.jpg

Ae80cel.jpg

pDSBIvg.jpg

UfetXkA.jpg

99bwMT0.jpg

#6 mini_matt_106

mini_matt_106

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:15 PM

Looks like a lovely little mini. Pick up a cheap mig and get practising on some sheet steel

#7 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:14 PM

So got some more of the interior out today.

If you think I am going slow its because I am being meticulous about the strip down. I am recording where all the parts go and taking lots of pictures.

wCL1tfP.jpg

yYhmlLP.jpg

An example of the fine detail paid to the last respray!

Vpd3pUl.jpg

Found some major corrosion here. Looks a lot worse in reality than the picture suggests. The small flat bit just in front of the wheel arch is flaking, and it is no longer attached to the lip bit by the actual wing (sorry for my non technical language!).

ObVs3Ew.jpg

#8 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:27 PM

Doesn't feel like I have got very far yet. Due to my way of noting everything down it has taken me a while, also I get distracted easily!

So the interior is mostly out and stored away now, the boot lid and rear loom are out, along with the fuel tank. I've been trying to get the soundproofing up off the floor but its a nightmare.

hf61o37.jpg

Rear window frames seem ok, no serious rust under there

3dD0Awd.jpg

However the passenger door has a fair bit of rust

CbGt3Qu.jpg

And then there is this. A 4 inch gouge where the passenger inner sill meets the rear floorplan. What would cause it to rot like this in a straight line?

FcfiRnS.jpg

Also I discovered this hole on the drivers rear quarter panel. Goes right the way through

8JrDp4S.jpg

Front passenger footwell looking a bit of a mess, but I can't see that it hasn't rotted through from what I can see

QmtHnxP.jpg

v5wnO8e.jpg

Also the paint peels off so easily. When I get it resprayed it is going to need all the old paint to come off I think.

#9 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:36 PM

Also a very small hole in the boot

f3RCDvA.jpg

And some general pictures

BHxC88R.jpg

MVWhGWo.jpg

Ffj95dy.jpg

OJEK9ma.jpg

#10 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:07 AM

The body really doesn't look too bad. Will you be getting new doors and other panels or is some of it just surface rust? 

#11 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:45 PM

The body really doesn't look too bad. Will you be getting new doors and other panels or is some of it just surface rust? 

It doesn't seem too bad. I think I read before that 70's Mini's were pretty good at resisting rust.

So far I think it will need two new doors, new sills, heel board, and then whatever else I find.

#12 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:18 AM

Looks like the previous owner spent some money on sound deadening there, personally I wouldn't rip all that off if the bodywork is solid underneath :) keep up the good work
Lawrence

#13 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:05 PM

The snail pace continues!

Got the rear end up on stands now.

Have been soaking the subframe bolts in penetrating fluid for a couple of days, had a go at undoing one of them today. First attempt resulted in snapped bolt  >_<

I didn't even turn it that hard, I was very gentle with it. I guess the others need more penetrating fluid.

Vl1dDli.jpg

dMba7Zm.jpg

e2eQNPc.jpg

#14 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 04:57 PM

Looks good so far. Lots of rust pockets so I wish you all the best when you start digging.

#15 Hedgey

Hedgey

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:34 PM

OJEK9ma.jpg

Possibly time for some new shelves?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users