#76 Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:43 PM

Hi

Only thing I would say to consider are the safety features of a newer car .....as its your first car and you are a  new driver -  .

My daughter passed her test last year and unfortunately was involved in a collision .... , full 50mph side impact !!!!

Her car looked like it had been dropped off a cliff - you wouldn't believe anyone could survive the impact on sight of the car (2006 corsa) ....... but all airbags deployed - the door was stoved in but  she walked away with no injuries other than slight bruising .

I love my mini but as her dad am pleased that she wasn't driving it when she was hit.

Happy and safe driving - whatever you choose

Best

Matt

#77 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,803 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:04 AM

If you drive a classic Mini as an everyday car you must drive defensively due to lack of modern safety features, much in the same way that you have to ride a motorbike to survive long term on the roads. However for young car drivers today there are better safer choices in small cars, especially while you are learning, building experience and making mistakes. Even the best new/young drivers make mistakes or take unnecessary risks, better you are in a modern safer car while you pass through that stage and then get your dream Mini later........as a parent I would not be happy sending a son or daughter new driver out in a classic Mini when there are far better, safer and cheaper 'first' small cars available today.

Edited by mab01uk, 22 July 2017 - 07:07 AM.

#78 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:40 PM

You could use any old classic car as an everyday car, so long as you are prepared to accept the disadvantages. It is personal choice.

Personally I would not consider a classic Mini for everyday, but I have had so many totally reliable modern cars over the years and driven them with total reliability for tens of thousands of miles at high speed on long journeys.

When I had a Mini as a daily driver it was the 1960's and there was little traffic, we accepted the limitations and just got on with it. Even back in 1966 I decided a new Cortina GT was a better everyday car and so it proved to be. I still had Minis as my wife had one as a local 'shopping car' and I had a Cooper 'S' as a rally car at one time. I then kept mainly to the mid-size and large Fords until I bought a Rover P6 V8 in 1974 followed by an XJ6 in 1975. Minis were always a fun car, even back then, but use one everyday, no thanks.

But, if an old Mini is what you really want, then go for it. The novelty might well soon wear off though  ;D .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users