21 replies to this topic

#1 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:04 PM

Hi there, I'm slowly striping down my J-spec SPI and have discovered the water in and out pipes on the standard Inlet Manifold have both nearly corroded away, never seen that before. It doesn't look like you can buy replacements any more. Any one else had this or can offer up a solution? As it stands it looks like I'm going to have to drill out and refit new copper pipes. thx.

#2 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:24 PM

Fairly common on Spi s sadly. A better second hand manifold is normally the cure. There are some NOS parts available but £££

FS

Edited by FlyingScot, 16 July 2017 - 09:25 PM.
Spelling

#3 hungdynasty

hungdynasty

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:39 AM

Hi there, I'm slowly striping down my J-spec SPI and have discovered the water in and out pipes on the standard Inlet Manifold have both nearly corroded away, never seen that before. It doesn't look like you can buy replacements any more. Any one else had this or can offer up a solution? As it stands it looks like I'm going to have to drill out and refit new copper pipes. thx.

This happened to me before, I took the manifold to a machine shop and they were able to remove the two damaged pipes and replace with two copper pipes. Manifold is working good not having any problem.

Edited by hungdynasty, 17 July 2017 - 05:42 AM.

#4 hungdynasty

hungdynasty

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:18 AM

IMG_20170604_160313_zpsvtkeqodh.jpgPicture for your reference.

#5 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:45 PM

Fairly common on Spi s sadly. A better second hand manifold is normally the cure. There are some NOS parts available but £££

FS

Thanks, I figured it might be, just surprised.

#6 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:47 PM

IMG_20170604_160313_zpsvtkeqodh.jpgPicture for your reference.

Looks nice. I might be able to remove and replace them myself, just wondering what your machine shop used to bond them to the manifold body.

#7 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:07 PM

The pipes look like brass rather than copper. The tricky part is probably finding the right size pipe to fit the hole. Epoxy like JB Weld would be perfect for bonding the pipe.

#8 hungdynasty

hungdynasty

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:21 AM

The pipes were custom made with a proper size solid copper(or brass?) bar, drilled inside. I think they used epoxy with some rtv sealant to bond to manifold.

#9 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:50 AM

The pipes were custom made with a proper size solid copper(or brass?) bar, drilled inside. I think they used epoxy with some rtv sealant to bond to manifold.

Thanks. I'll have a closer look at them this weekend.

#10 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:41 PM

Just returning to the thread in case folks are interested.

Just getting to the point in my mini's rebuild where I need to re-instate the inlet manifold so we decided to see if we could up date the pipes ourselves. Turns out the original pipes are just tolerance fit, we heated up the manifold and with a bit of tug out came the pipes (see pics).

Found and ordered correct diameter replacement pipes in stainless, mild steel and brass so we have choice (need something to work!) and once we've figured out how to get the bends right we're going to have a go at refitting soon. Will probably add some high temp silicon too. Will report back.

Attached File  WP_20170924_08_26_02_Rich.jpg   29.17K   22 downloadsAttached File  WP_20170924_08_26_09_Rich.jpg   30.36K   17 downloadsAttached File  WP_20170924_08_47_00_Rich.jpg   38.48K   12 downloadsAttached File  WP_20170924_08_47_11_Rich.jpg   43.26K   9 downloads

#11 4thgear

4thgear

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:21 PM

Hi Pops_Guild,

I am in the same situation as you at the moment.

Would you mind sharing where you got the pipes from and the size?

Cheers

4thgear

#12 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:43 PM

Sure. The measurement of the pipe that I've got is 15.87 MM or 5/8" outside diameter, that is the closest manufactured size for the tolerance fit but it will still need some work to get the fit right. I think the pipe that came out was a fraction smaller.

I bought from eBay but if you can hang fire, before you go out and buy stuff you should probably wait to see how it works out for me, I'll post back here on what happens. It all looks like it will work but it's a bit of an experiment, there is a chance it could nerf my inlet manifold...wouldn't want to nerf yours too, that wouldn't be cool.

#13 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:51 PM

Finally back with my Mini. Pipes are ready to be tried in the inlet manifold.

The stainless pipe I got is slightly bigger than the original steel pipe(5thou) and the brass one is slightly smaller. Not cut and bent the mild steel pipe, ill only try that if either of these don't work.

With a bit of luck I'll get time to try and fit them, will post the result. Need the inlet working again...

Attached Files

Edited by Pops_Guild, 26 October 2017 - 10:10 PM.

#14 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:49 PM

...in case youre interested the stainless pipes worked. Was 15thou too big so needed to sand down the pipe a bit and make sure the receiving holes were sanded too. In the end I used hi-temp silicon and it's a hammer them in job. Seems to do the trick. Pictures of using heat to remove the old ones and the finished result.

Attached Files

Edited by Pops_Guild, 05 March 2019 - 07:55 AM.

#15 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:15 PM

Looking good Sir, nice job

FS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users