#1 Steve8274

Steve8274

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:07 PM

Hi
Looking to purchase a set of bumpers for my 86 mini. Which are best? Stainless or chrome?
Looking for recommendations where people have actually fitted a set. Where did you get them from?
Regards
Steve

#2 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:09 PM

I bought Chrome ones for 80 ish euro's, look great and fitted quite easily . Cant comment on how long they last as I only have them a week OR 2

#3 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:22 PM

I have stainless steel and though they are very shiny and you can polish them more, they lack that deepness of chrome, unless its a original resto car then Stainless works for me.

#4 Steve8274

Steve8274

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:06 AM

Ok. Thats one vote for each. Where are you purchasing them from? Minispares? Minisport? Seems lots out there but just want to make sure I get some that actually fit.

#5 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:18 AM

Mine come from limora, but I guess theyre all the same, on the rear the trick was to fit the center bolt first and then the sides, you had to pull a bit but nothing my 91 year old grandma couldnt do :)

#6 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:52 PM

My 7 year old Minispares stainless bumpers are still looking good, they live outside and get very little TLC.

A couple of points to note:
The welded brackets and fixings are mild steel, they need proper rust proofing.
The fit of the rear bumper isn't brilliant, be prepared for a little grinding and filing at each end for a fit that doesn't rub on the seam cover strips.

#7 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:05 PM

Stainless for me, you can hardly notice the difference between the 2 and will last a lot longer.

#8 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:48 PM

My mini is 24 years old, still has the original stainless bumpers & they're still shiny. God knows how many chrome sets would have turned to dust in that time!

#9 Steve8274

Steve8274

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:45 PM

Thanks for the advice. Looking to purchase the stainless steel ones from minispares. Part no DPB10166
These the ones that are ok?

#10 Italianjob

Italianjob

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Local Club: Not a member yet.

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:58 PM

+1 on the stainless bumpers, bought the ones from mini spares. Same as the item number you have put Steve, been on for 3 years so far with no problems. Had an accident on the front end and the bumper was replaced by a repair shop with a chromed one couple years back. The front still looks ok but if you look behind it, it's rusty as hell already. Not a spot on the stainless one.

#11 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:07 PM

I bought stainless from mini spares a few years ago and there was a mounting problem where it sat too flat I bought stainless over riders at the same time it made them not sit vertically(slightly angled). It was an issue the were aware of. Not sure if they sorted it.

#12 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:04 PM

I think that stainless will be best for most people, but having had them, and black painted, I felt that the Mini with the black bumpers was the best looking. Marginally cheaper to replace when one was damaged, but that was a while ago.

Each to his own of course. Nothing is really "right" or "wrong" about styling, with a few exceptions such as warty SUVs.I had a black grille too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users