#1 MiniRob998

MiniRob998

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:01 PM

Hello

I recently got my self a Mini, yey! But when I was installing a new CSI distributor and the documents saying that when you see timing marks alligned with mark and CSI is installed (can only fit one way due spline is offset into motor.) The rotor is pointing towards sparkplug #1 (near radiator). But I see that its pointing 180 degrees opposite, the old disptributor was also like this. So looks like the timing marks are on #4 and not on #1. When hooking up everything and hook up fire order to 4-2-1-3 it starts right up. Will this be a problem? It can run on idle with no problem when hot. But when driving I need to use the choke some times to get some more power. I have not adjusted the HS4 carb, but when lifting slightly on the throttle by hand and its revs up and calms down quick and are back to fine idle.

-Rob-

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:05 PM

your engine is 180 out or the drive is 180 out or you have ID the wrong cylinders as 1 and 4. 1 and 4 are the same as far as the marks go.

the firing order is the same for all minis.

the number you start with has little to do with anything.

if it works then there is no real issue.

Edited by nicklouse, 19 July 2017 - 11:07 PM.

#3 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:10 PM

1342 = 4213 , just depends on when you start counting as Nick has said. 

At the TDC marker both 1 & 4 will be at the top, but only one will be on the power stroke. 

#4 Swift_General

Swift_General

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:20 PM

Firing order is fine, sounds like the car is running on all 4 cylinders. As you've fitted a new distributor though timing will need to be set up and is unlikely to be correct just from a 'straight swap' if that's what you've done. Also is the advance curve not adjustable on the CSI? Have you set this? If so what did you use as a reference? Vacuum or vacuumless? Once you're happy with all that set the carb up.

Edited by Swift_General, 19 July 2017 - 11:21 PM.

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:55 PM

To be clear if 1 or 4 should be firing look at the valve rockers. The firing cylinder is between compression and power strokes, so neither of its valves will move either side of TDC & the rockers will be loose enough to wobble by hand.

#6 MiniRob998

MiniRob998

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:38 AM

When first time checking the timing, it was with the old distributor. Not easy to get readings when probe was on #1. Thought the timing marks was gone or something. So I just changed over to the new CSI, easy to install and to set up. I just tried the setting that it was allready set to, but there is 15 more settings to try. This CSI have curves optimized for Mini. When I installed the CSI I found out that it was not pointing as described in manual for it, then you start to spend time to google and stuff. The other distributor was also pointing the same, so then it could not be the new distributor. Found out then it was #4 it was on, found the timing marks. So just got every thing together and started up. Got readings with timing lamp, and adjusted the distributor without the vacuum hose connected and it was set around 10 on idle.

I can do a check on the valves rockes to see just to be sure, I had of the cover yesterday when I did a valve clearing check and some small adjustments. But did not check if the firing cylinder had loose valve rockers.

After that rocker check, it looks like I need to check up on my SU HS4. Since the choke needs to be used when you drive up small and large hills, it just hesitates and have lack of power if no choke is used. This issue was the same before CSI change, or now its runs much better idle and dont stalls after the engine gets hot. There are new leads and spark plugs by the way.

#7 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:00 AM

Set the timing with the vacuüm disconnected

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users