17 replies to this topic

#1 Dfitzy

Dfitzy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:50 AM

A new noise has gotten progressively louder over the last week. It's a metallic rattle, maybe grinding. It's occurring only under load. 

It seems to be coming from low down on the radiator side of the engine, but I can't pinpoint it since it only happens when I'm moving in gear and on throttle. It's any gear and doesn't seem to change much with revs. No other symptoms.

Any suggestions on how to narrow it down? So far I've checked fluid levels and exhaust fittings.

#2 Mervyn

Mervyn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:51 AM

Jack up the car and check for play in the wheel, both up and down and in and out.

Take a look at your engine mounting, it may be that they've seperated and the driveshaft is catching the subframe

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:17 AM

check gear linkage fixings inside the car.

#4 AeroNotix

AeroNotix

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:22 PM

I had a very similar noise/grinding and it was my engine mounts. They had split right down the middle and caused the engine to turn in the frame leading to the driveshafts to strike the subframe. 

A quick glance at the engine mounts and the hole where the driveshafts extend through should tell you right away...

#5 Dfitzy

Dfitzy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:16 PM

Jack up the car and check for play in the wheel, both up and down and in and out.

Take a look at your engine mounting, it may be that they've seperated and the driveshaft is catching the subframe

I had a very similar noise/grinding and it was my engine mounts. They had split right down the middle and caused the engine to turn in the frame leading to the driveshafts to strike the subframe. 

A quick glance at the engine mounts and the hole where the driveshafts extend through should tell you right away...

Really good suggestions, thanks! I'll check later and update.

#6 Dfitzy

Dfitzy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:22 PM

The engine mounts look good and no sign of the shafts having touched the subframe. I was hoping that was it, but no dice.

#7 AeroNotix

AeroNotix

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:13 PM

When you rock your engine back and forth (hand on the rocker cover and give it a gentle rock back and forth) does it move the whole car or just the engine? Reasoning: engine stabilizer bushings may have gave way. 

#8 Dfitzy

Dfitzy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:30 PM

When you rock your engine back and forth (hand on the rocker cover and give it a gentle rock back and forth) does it move the whole car or just the engine? Reasoning: engine stabilizer bushings may have gave way. 

It moves the whole car. Pretty solid.

#9 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:49 PM

Try a short test with the fan belt off, if the rattle stops then it could be either water pump or alternator - or one of the pulleys.

#10 Dfitzy

Dfitzy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:45 PM

Try a short test with the fan belt off, if the rattle stops then it could be either water pump or alternator - or one of the pulleys.

I thought about that, but do you think it would explain why it's only when accelerating? I can't reproduce it in neutral even with revs

#11 panky

panky

• Members
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:00 PM

Load on the engine maybe, worth a go just to disprove some items, and you might spot something else while grovelling around ;D

#12 Dfitzy

Dfitzy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:07 PM

Load on the engine maybe, worth a go just to disprove some items, and you might spot something else while grovelling around ;D

Good call. I'll have a go at it! Thanks

#13 panky

panky

• Members
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:16 PM

Just a quick test, obvious I know but no water circulating without the fan belt.

#14 Dfitzy

Dfitzy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:24 PM

Just a quick test, obvious I know but no water circulating without the fan belt.

Yep it won't take much. It happens even at slow speeds so no need to leave my parking lot.

#15 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:07 AM

still nothing to listen to?

bet it is just a lose mounting bolt somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users