477 replies to this topic

#151 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 06:12 PM

not much of an update, waiting for the smoothrite to come to paint the subframes, didnt want to do any welding, so i stripped my front brakes down, car will be going from 7.5" discs to 8.4 as it should be. Just checked everything, and will be ready for paint hopefully tomorrow!

#152 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:01 AM

wow this is some wicked progress, your flying away with this, you will soon be in paint mate!

#153 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 12:18 PM

thanks! It would be a bit further on now but ive a really bad cold atm :( Just at thee nd of it i hope but maybe do a trip out to see dave and get some bits.

#154 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 05:49 PM

So went to see dave, sold him my 10" discs that came with the car, and bought a tool bag with jack, 2 mowog front shock mounts, and a 998cc head. Ive decided im going to put the 998 in the car, and keep the 1275 for another day.

So yesterday i painted the front and rear subframes. Did them in smoothrite but sprayed it on, it looks good, but i should have maybe prepped the front subframe a bit more, where there was surface rust you can see it, but i can always do it again.

IMG_3154.JPG

Welded up the other side of the inner sill bit

IMG_3155.JPG

Tried the bin adn it dont fit so well so had to mess about with both sides to get them in

IMG_3156.JPG

IMG_3157.JPG

Had to weld the seat belt points in too, that was a simple job...

I noticed the m machine bins have a single bend down the front, where as the mini has two bends. Need to sort that out tomorrow too as its bending the quarter when im clamping it up here

IMG_3158.JPG

Tomorrow  will put the mounts back on the rear subframe and see how it fits, then maybe get to the boot, battery box and subframe mounts etc.

#155 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:15 PM

didnt do that much today, but a little.

Bolted the subframe back on, and everything has bolted up okish, had to make a few little mods, but nothing serious. I also thought to myself that when the car is going for mot, i can get it 4 wheel aligned, see how far out it is if at all... Started to do some bits in the boot, need to get the tank out of the left tomorrow and try it in again and weld the support in. I want to get all the incar stuff sorted then i can turn the car over, and finish the welding sealing, and stone chip the lot in one go.

The stone chip also, i was goingto get some of this tintable stuff, but realised they do 3 colours of stone chip anyway, black, grey and white! I just bought some cheep tetrosyl stuff today just to do little bits like behind the rack so i can bolt that back on.

IMG_3159.JPG

Used tiger seal to seal the joints behind those brackets. Also welded most of the n/s wheel arch in too.

IMG_3160.JPG

Still a long way to go, but today was another step closer!

#156 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:05 AM

forgot to say!

IMG_3006.JPG

A pic from a month or so ago when i did the pillar filler test, i did say i had watched vids of Trevsblog, and he went into quite a lot of detail into filling, vid here and part he said was that these smart repair guys, in out in an hour, look good for a week, but after that they look bad. Now, he said that the filler needs good time to go off, watch the vid! Now, felt the repair again today, where the weld is, there is a little low spot, i can feel it rather than see it. I think the filler has shrunk.

So, car is getting 2k epoxy all over probably, then filled, shaped, then onto the next repair, then start all over again. at the end then left for a week or so. may also look into using a more quality filler than the big cheep tub i have from ebay.

Edited by Avtovaz, 05 January 2019 - 12:26 PM.

#157 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 06:22 PM

today, started by painting all the bits of suspension i have taken off. Only did one coat, will do another tomorrow maybe, or just fit it, and paint it again on the car.

IMG_3161.JPG

The last owner, maybe didnt look after teh body work, but i can tell it went to a garage to be serviced properly. Rear brakes are all good, no signs of leaking, all look fairly new too. So i cleaned that, and painted the arms

IMG_3162.JPG

After doing that, i remembered there are some brackets int eh boot that i dont have, but could just make. Im not really good at doing stuff like that, but got the weetabix packet apart and started making a template

IMG_3163.JPG

And surprisingly, the bracket turned out really well!

IMG_3164.JPG

So i made another and that turned out ok too!

IMG_3165.JPG

IMG_3166.JPG

IMG_3167.JPG

the back seat panel still needs repairing but you can see here the holes line up to the panel well

IMG_3168.JPG

And welded in

IMG_3169.JPG

Not that much more to do before i turn the car over again.

#158 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 07:52 PM

not that much progress but some, put the front subframe back together, had both top arms on and off a few times. I had lost a washer that goes on the end of the shaft with the groves in it for the grease. Searched everywhere for it and eventually found it on the floor fortunately

IMG_3174.JPG.

Took the calipers apart to look at them, one is really seized, the other looked ok, Not sure what to do about them , looks like i need new discs, calipers, pads, maybe ball joints. But ive put it together enough i can roll teh car out and turn it around again.

Then welded the lip on teh back seat, and the centre support.

IMG_3171.JPG

Then had  a go at getting the rear bin to fit better, but ran out of time really

IMG_3172.JPG

Just thought as a last job, id prime around the battery box, then i drill screwed it into place

IMG_3173.JPG

fortunate its looking like the expensive parts i need are only, scuttle, headlining, front brake assembly’s, and some odd parts. I say that and im sure something will bite me, but ive all the rest, even the 2k paint waiting!

#159 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 06:29 PM

will be back to very short updates in teh week now, back at work, and it looks like its going to be a very busy year...

But anyway

stripped the calipers again today, one was really rotten, and yesterday i decided to just buy new one. But, had an inspection anyway, and as it turns out, when i got the piston out, calipers are fine, so ill order a rebuild kit and do that one night. Cleaned up the backplates too, bit more and they can be painted too...

IMG_3175.JPG

I know that one on teh right looks rusty, it isnt its where the dust seal had corroded and marked the steel, came off with some brake cleaner..

IMG_3176.JPG

#160 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:24 PM

Back plates painted

IMG_3177.JPG

rear bin, not sure if its just over size where the door is, or what, but ill grind that down.. Repaired some of where the back seat goes to the arch, and welded most of the bin in. Only had an hour!

#161 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:42 AM

Nice work once again nearly time to put that welder down now.

#162 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:31 PM

thanks its getting closer and closer to that point! My plan is to get the inside welded up, turn the car over again, then finish the welding and stone chip the floor white, and leave it for a few weeks while i do other bits.

Ordered some bits for it yesterday too, all parts for the front hubs, as in ball joints, bearings, etc, so will rebuild them. Still stripping and cleaning stuff, not taken any pics really.

#163 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:38 AM

thanks its getting closer and closer to that point! My plan is to get the inside welded up, turn the car over again, then finish the welding and stone chip the floor white, and leave it for a few weeks while i do other bits.

Ordered some bits for it yesterday too, all parts for the front hubs, as in ball joints, bearings, etc, so will rebuild them. Still stripping and cleaning stuff, not taken any pics really.

Sounds good, its all those bits like stripping and rebuilding that takes all the time to me.

#164 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:18 PM

I know, i dont hate doing it, but it seems to take for ages, and ok at the end there is a result, but just pff, id rather do something else!

today didnt have much time, but managed to weld the back seat in and grind the welds a bit

IMG_3180.JPG

rebuilt the calipers with new pistons and seals , painted them HT black, and the hubs too..

IMG_3181.JPG

Would have done more welding but i think with the new welder the gas conection was leaking, and ive run out again! Will email boss gasses now and sort it while i remember!

#165 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:31 PM

not had chance to do much on the car int he last week or so, been really busy in work, and not had time, but should be getting the odd hour in again and weekends.

I rebuilt the 12" discs and calipers. New discs, drive flange bolts, wheel bearings, caliper seal and piston kits, and ball joints. Had to make a bracket for one of the back plates as well as it had broken off before i got them,

IMG_3191.JPG

IMG_3192.JPG

IMG_3193.JPG

Should stop alright for a mini, but its funny as i have a set of discs in the garage for my 530 bmw, and the difference is just massive LOL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users