Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:16 PM

Yesterday i started to strip the back panel of paint,

IMG_3228.JPG

I primed it yesterday and it was a shock seeing how different it looked today when going into the garage.

So again when cutting a panel off, i damaged the older joing panel, as we can see here

IMG_3230.JPG

Was not looking forward to doing this. I started by making a little section from the old quarter, then madea  plat piece for the lip. when i put the lip on, i thought to myself, just weld it and grind it up and see how it looks. To be fair, it came out really good

IMG_3231.JPG

IMG_3233.JPG

Maybe a no filler repair! Also ground off the welds on the back side of the seam

IMG_3232.JPG

Got the front of the quarter top to reshape next, then i think ill put some filler in the rear post, but itll be glass fiber as its not porous like filler is. I hear this is a better way to start a repair.

#182 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 06:51 PM

dia  bit more today.

I put some filler on the rear post where i had joined the roof in. I had yesterday primed it with some weld threw high zinc content primer. as it was going off, i was looking at the primer and the filler had melted the primer, i dont know if that is usual or if i had just noticed it then. So i scraped it all off, and thought id ask first.

So I think the front end will be the next job really, but i havnt done the n/s door skin so i started that today

IMG_3241.JPG

IMG_3242.JPG

IMG_3243.JPG

IMG_3244.JPG

IMG_3245.JPG

Door no where near as bad as the other side, i was not quite in teh mood for doing the car, but was, and i just used a soft pad to remove the welds, and i wondered if i had made it thin in places so i welded the inside too

IMG_3246.JPG

Silent coat..

IMG_3247.JPG

thought id paint the inside of the door white,

IMG_3248.JPG

IMG_3249.JPG

IMG_3250.JPG

IMG_3251.JPG

then ran out of time, need to turn the car around now to try it. Dont know when ill be back on the mini, bmw and micro squirt is becomming a bigger job than i thought, not hard just time consuming the way im doing the engine loom.

thanks for looking

#183 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:32 PM

Not had much time to do much on the mini, bmw is taking a lot of my time, but its interesting, im fitting microsquirt to it, ive learned so much in a small period, and its got me thinking about the mini and the engine... But ill do a bit of research before i start saying what i am thinking.

So today i folded over the lip on the door skin, turned the car around and put the door on. Gap was a little bad until i adjusted it at the front on the post with a sledge hammer/block of wood. It still wants a bit doing but i didnt have long in the garage today, and also the E39 needed washing!

IMG_3276.JPG

IMG_3277.JPG

IMG_3278.JPG

IMG_3279.JPG

IMG_3280.JPG

what is a bit strange is teh alignment of the inner of the door and the top of the skin, its like the skin is high, but im not sure, its a magnum one.

IMG_3281.JPG

thanks for looking.

#184 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 06:16 PM

finished teh door skin off to a point, but forgot to take pics, tried it on again and it looks good.

so i did a few more repairs, the post wasnt welded on, the bottom was not finished, and started on teh quarter.

IMG_3283.JPG

IMG_3284.JPG

IMG_3285.JPG

#185 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:12 PM

not a lot of progress as i had not a lot of time today, but started cleaning back the welds etc, and added rust killer...

IMG_3287.JPG

#186 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:44 PM

Don't use that rubbish rust "converter" it is pants, and your rust will be back in a few months.

Use DEOX rust REMOVER, removes rust and leaves nice shiny bare metal.

#187 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:23 PM

Don't use that rubbish rust "converter" it is pants, and your rust will be back in a few months.

Use DEOX rust REMOVER, removes rust and leaves nice shiny bare metal.

its Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80! I asked on retro rides about what the best way to kill rust and more or less everyone went mad for t his stuff... ;)))

#188 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:26 AM

OK. Do this test. Find a piece of scrap metal with rust on it. Treat it with this product. When dry, scrape off the top layer with a screwdriver or knife and tell us what you see.

#189 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:01 PM

OK. Do this test. Find a piece of scrap metal with rust on it. Treat it with this product. When dry, scrape off the top layer with a screwdriver or knife and tell us what you see.

CLICK HERE

#190 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:24 PM

so quarter panel fitting time

got it screwed on and went from there

IMG_3295.JPG

this is not the best of shape, i did wonder if it was for a austin 1300 or something?

IMG_3296.JPG

IMG_3297.JPG

back of the quarter quite bad

IMG_3298.JPG

But i got it something like

IMG_3299.JPG

IMG_3300.JPG

IMG_3301.JPG

Still got the front of the quarter to sort out

IMG_3302.JPG

On the outside of the car now, the only original panel is some of the back panel. When i first went to look at the car, i thought this would be a simple project LOL!

#191 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:48 PM

Didnt have much time and half of that time i rebuilt the air compressor for the e39! So i was quite impressed in like 20 mins i got this far with the quarter.

IMG_3303.JPG

I just hit the top part and it bent into place, the part by the door had to slit a few times and hit over... Will clean it up tomorrow maybe and see what it looks like with the door on.

#192 Bens mini 66

Bens mini 66

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:23 PM

thats cool!

#193 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:21 PM

So i have this now

IMG_3304.JPG

I think the magnum quarter and teh magnum door skin where a good fit for each other but the quarter didnt fit the car.

IMG_3305.JPG

I know its not straight where ive cut and welded the quarter but putting the door on shows how bad it is. So, I need to straighten the quarter on a bit more. Not exactly sure what to do yet but itll come to me by the next time i get to the car...

[Ps Alex ;o , i think its the crank shaft sensor! ]

#194 Aaron3

Aaron3

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Local Club: Sunmc

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:31 PM

I’ve known people to build the edges of the doors up with weld to tighten shut lines.

#195 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:39 PM

little bit more today, rushed this to be fair as i didnt want to do it LOL! The next big job is for this weekend i think the front end.

IMG_3306.JPG

IMG_3307.JPG

IMG_3308.JPG

IMG_3311.JPG

Not finished but in primer so it dosnt rust.

Also yesterday before i went in i put some fibreglass on teh quarter where the door is bad. Now it was squaring off the quarter and straightening it out that was the problem, so i hope this will sort it, just attempt no.1

IMG_3312.JPG

Almost acceptable, but will do some more

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users