477 replies to this topic

#196 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:39 PM

I’ve known people to build the edges of the doors up with weld to tighten shut lines.

Yes, ill probably do that to it. You may get to see the car when its done your not far away in in widnes.

#197 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:52 AM

Ordinary primer will not stop the metal from rusting, it is porous.

Use zinc primer

#198 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:07 AM

It is zinc primer !

#199 TRP

TRP

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:47 PM

Just read the entire thread. Nice work thus far. You guys who take on these massive welding jobs are amazing.

Keep at it!

#200 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 06:14 PM

cut most of the front panel off today, and the scuttle. 2k epoxy Primed the inner wing, and scuttle ready for fitting soon

IMG_3318.JPG

IMG_3319.JPG

IMG_3320.JPG

IMG_3321.JPG

Edited by Avtovaz, 24 March 2019 - 06:19 PM.

#201 Harryrothers93

Harryrothers93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 06:27 PM

seen a few..... well lets just say unnecessary comments on your topic. 

all im going to say is top work, and keep it up!

#202 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:08 AM

Is that directed at me ?

#203 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:57 PM

now with my parts in 2k epoxy, ive started doing the front end

IMG_3325.JPG

Inner wing sorted on the n/s, but still some to do on the o/s

IMG_3326.JPG

Tec screwed the scuttle on

IMG_3322.JPG

IMG_3323.JPG

IMG_3324.JPG

All seems to line up ok atm, but will be checking this a good few times as i get closer with the welder. The plan with the roof worked out well in the end, the only outer join is to the scuttle.. May try a screen in it before i fully weld it as the edges seem to be in a slightly differernt place, although the measurements from doing the roof seem right. Ill be happy if i can just get the front lined up and screwed on this weekend, amazed if its welded!

#204 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:37 PM

Looking good mate.

One tip for the front end, if it takes 2 weeks of messing about to get it right, then so be it.

Don't be tempted to rush it as I promise that you will regret it if the front end isn't spot on especially after all the other great work you have done so far.

I only say because you mention it would be great to have it welded this weekend.

Keep it up!

Ben

#205 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:54 PM

first thanks for looking and posting, i really appreciate it! .. I really want it right, it may take a lot of time. In a way its a bit frustrating, but in other ways, when the car is done, ill have a lot of spare time, and not sure how to fill that time then ! I am enjoying doing this part, im not sure im looking forward to the prep before paint. I think now i may paint it myself in stages in the garage though. Do it in stages, engine bay, boot, inside, paint the seems, then mask the front, roof, sides, then back panel. WIll take a long time to do but i am not rushing it now.

#206 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 06:21 PM

so today pushed the car outside, and turned it around

IMG_3328.JPG

IMG_3329.JPG

I put the door on the o/s

IMG_3331.JPG

Took a pic of my mini and my finger.

IMG_3332.JPG

IMG_3334.JPG

While it was outside i bolted up the mounts on the front subframe to the floor, and tightened the top mounts

Then back in the garage and remved the last bit of the front panel and added some rust convertor

IMG_3335.JPG

IMG_3336.JPG

Not sure what ill be doing now this weekend, got the air compressor on the e39 to change, and a set of front discs for it, and then there is still the other bmw to sort out. So if i get time ill be out there doing the mini...

#207 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 09:56 PM

Just read the entire thread. Nice work thus far. You guys who take on these massive welding jobs are amazing.

Keep at it!

Thank you so much mate for reading !!! sorry i just saw your post, i thought the car just needed a few bits before i started it!

Not sure where it will lead after the welding.. Im really interested in this microsquirt etc atm, just put it to the bmw rally car, i wont be tuning that myself... , Bits that seemed scary before just arnt if you go and do it! Plan is to make it factory apart from wheels and a few bits that make it start and be reliable. Id like to have the 998 cc engine on injection that looks like su's or not so obvious, but has low end power...

Edited by Avtovaz, 30 March 2019 - 08:20 AM.

#208 TRP

TRP

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 03:33 PM

Simply top notch effort and results thus far. I'm going to keep watching your progress.

Mine is in the early 'blocking' stages now. I picked the colors yesterday. I hope I don't regret my choices later. :)

#209 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 08:05 PM

thank s again mate!

did a bit today and as promised, i welded the whole front end on...

.... In my dreams!

I started to think about it, and im not far enough along with the welding, i mean, there is lots of bits to sort and bits to grind, so i started with those

Front posts both id acidently cut threw when doing the roof

IMG_3338.JPG

I started cleaning the metal, and then started to sort the welder, but it was annoying me, it was on the floor and it was all messed up. So i bit of diy and here is a shelf!

IMG_3339.JPG

Lots more room less change of damaging the welder and myself by tripping over it.

I hadnt done this post repair either!

IMG_3340.JPG

Welded the one from the first pic

IMG_3341.JPG

And then set to with the roloc discs and took as much paint off the car between the front and rear seam

IMG_3342.JPG

IMG_3343.JPG

Panel wiped it and 2 pack epoxi primed it

IMG_3344.JPG

A cut on the other side that i hadnt noticed!

IMG_3346.JPG

I had primed this panel before, then filled a few little marks, but i had gone some in the pressing so i rubbed that out and brush primed this

IMG_3348.JPG

People always seem to think that 2k epoxy needs spraying but you can brush it, you can roller it, and it seems to be a good weld threw primer too...

I then cleaned up the top dash rail and did the welds. I primed this with electrox...

IMG_3349.JPG

IMG_3350.JPG

I need to sort this out too but now sure how yet, maybe with fiberglass. See where the post bends and the return on the quarter isnt quite right, that will bug me!!

IMG_3351.JPG

I was then bored of cleaning up metal today, it was a long day on teh mini for sure, so i did a little welding table mod

IMG_3352.JPG

Will try to get all panels in 2k epoxy before i do the front end. Then its front, turn it over and sort welds out, stone chip it all white, and back over! Getting there...

#210 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:57 PM

Not a lot of time today, did a bit though!

There was a little bit of rust in the gutter at the back

IMG_3361.JPG

I cut it out as best as i could but tried not to cut into the roof skin. I got so far and had to use the belt sander to remove part of the lip.

IMG_3362.JPG

IMG_3363.JPG

Tacked a plate in

IMG_3364.JPG

welded in plate

IMG_3365.JPG

Its not perfect, but i think if i use a hammer and dolly on it, i can get it a lot better, it needs more of a radius to the lip. I think with a bit of work itll be ok.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users