477 replies to this topic

#256 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:37 PM

The valance closer should be welded to the valance just to clear that up. Just make sure that the curve of the valance closer follows the curve of the valance and that the meet tightly together or you will end up with a bit of a mess. Well worth spending the time to get that fitting right.

As for the filler on the floors, all you are doing is giving a neat finish to a solid repair so there is no harm. 

All looking good mate and coming together nicely!

Ben

#257 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:41 PM

ok thank you mate! will get some drill screws in it! I really think they are one of the best tips ive listen to when doing these repairs, you can build the car up with tec screws make sure it all fits and then take them out one by one and weld up the holes they have made!

thankyou again!

#258 Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 03:31 PM

Do you mind me asking what drill screws you used?  I've got a full front end to do soon(ish) and may find more.  I like the idea of screwing it together then removing them and plug filling the wholes they leave.  Build looks great too by the way!  :thumbsup:

#259 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 05:24 PM

Do you mind me asking what drill screws you used?  I've got a full front end to do soon(ish) and may find more.  I like the idea of screwing it together then removing them and plug filling the wholes they leave.  Build looks great too by the way!  :thumbsup:

ask away!

i use these ones the 8mm ones, they pull the steal up really well to be fair, you can use them maybe 10 times each and they are good.

#260 Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:45 PM

Do you mind me asking what drill screws you used? I've got a full front end to do soon(ish) and may find more. I like the idea of screwing it together then removing them and plug filling the wholes they leave. Build looks great too by the way! :thumbsup:

ask away!

i use these ones the 8mm ones, they pull the steal up really well to be fair, you can use them maybe 10 times each and they are good.

Brilliant. Thanks. ?

Edited by Ben Rose, 25 June 2019 - 06:48 PM.

#261 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:21 PM

so ive been working long hours at work, and had major problems with a volvo engine in my e36, did rally, got a week off and now had a little time on teh mini again!

IMG_20191010_153319700.jpg

cleaned up the floor on the n/s and tidied the garage! Not much more done than that but more will come now!

#262 frankm

frankm

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:07 PM

Just read through your entire thread in one go and love it
Nice to see the progress in skills and the effort you put into it.
Admire the just keep going attitude even after you need to do things twice because your not happy with your first attempt.

Hope to see some more updates soon on this one

#263 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 07:52 PM

there is some not so happy bits atm, will post some updates soon! thankyou very much for reading!!!!

#264 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 08:19 PM

not had chance to do the mini for a bit. Working long hours, did JD romain road rally in the bmw, and not being so bothered. But we are back on it now.

So i cut the little tabs off the floor for the brake lines, and cleaned up the floor, its all fine, but i put some filler over the weld down the car

IMG_20191010_153319700-2.jpg

IMG_20191013_142111745.jpg

IMG_20191013_150056018.jpg

i made some new tabs as the old ones where well rotten

IMG_20191026_151129408.jpg

welded on

IMG_20191026_151908739.jpg

IMG_20191026_151920754.jpg

so what i was talking about before with the not so good parts of the car, i had put the subframe on it, and looked down teh car, and it wasnt right, the subframe was not sitting right at all. It was like there was a twist in the shell. So after a lot of thinking about what to do, and what was wrong, i decided the heal board wasnt on right. So i cut it off!

Now, i found that when i had fitted it, maybe as one side of the car was welded up first on stands then the other, maybe one side was stiff and the other not and it just wasnt right. So with the "old" one cut off, i put the subframes in place, and measured their positions. I dont know if they are a little forward or back or what, but the front one is on its original top and rear mounts, so i presumed it was straight. Now the rear was squared from that, and a new heal board was fitted.

IMG_20191013_154733659.jpg

Its just one of them things, my first go at doing this, and also, ive learnt a fair bit from doing mistakes! Now because the inner sill is welded in, and the heal board picks up from this, it left me in a bad position. How do you weld then tabs on? So basically i cut them off, welded the heal board in straight, and today i turned the car over, cut the new rear bins out [one side so far] and welded down the back of the inner sill to the heal board. The tab from the other heal board is still there, so it was like joining the metal like it should be.

It was not fun removing the parts and doing this, but its right now, and that is all that counts really.

IMG_20191013_154733659.jpg

IMG_20191026_155510863.jpg

IMG_20191026_161507683.jpg

IMG_20191026_164102022.jpg

IMG_20191026_172604617.jpg

IMG_20191026_174353630.jpg

IMG_20191026_175003409.jpg

one more thing to day about today, work shop safety. I was welding and i stopped and i could smell burning, i looked about and could not see anything burning, but everywhere i went i could smell it. starting to worry a bit, looking about. Then i noticed, it was me, i was on fire!!! my jumper was smoldering lol! easy to put out but it did shock me a little. Ive installed a cctv camera also in the garage, when i get in i can watch the car and make sure its ok.

maybe a little more tomorrow but will be working hard on the bmw for the farrington rally, so cant promise much update.

#265 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 08:34 PM

Are you sticking with that wheel size?   :-)

#266 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 08:39 PM

i was waiting for someone to say something about those lol

#267 frankm

frankm

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 05:29 PM

Bummer but at least it is fixed now!
Good luck with the rally and subscribed to your thread so will see the updates when you have the time again.

#268 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 09:04 PM

so i ordered some heratage rear bins, and fitted one today. had to fill some holes in first

IMG_20191101_141547690.jpg

IMG_20191101_145038782.jpg

IMG_20191101_163655890.jpg

that is just a trial fit. i have found that the magnum floor is either not right, or something else is not right, the angle of the bin compaired to the inner sill was different, and the height of the bin compaired to the door opening was not right.

the car measures straight, it cant be far off, so i modded the bin to suit.

need to do the other side then measure everything and weld them in.

so hopefully the shell wont be that long away, i mean, welding isnt that far off, ive got a lot of time comming off at christmas, so hopefully ill finish the shell.. But that leaves one thing to start thinking about

IMG_20191101_170149566.jpg

whats going in here?

Believe it or not, id love to make the car an electric vehicle, but the cost of it would be stupid and i dont want to mod the shell in any way really.

Next to look at is putting a 998 in there. Standard are 33 bhp? would that be enough really for today if say i went on the wirral to llandudno run, would it struggle and maybe cause trouble?

next is a 1293 engine that i got with the car. Spec is 1293, kent cam, big head, ports are massive, seemed to be a good engine, but i havnt driven it, have been told by my mate who drove it home from preston its really good. Problem for me with this is, its probably good, but id like it to sit in the garage and if i need to sell it then i can, but atm its worth a bit i think. If i ran it in the mini id be reving it hard and i dont want a motor like that, id like it a bit more relaxed.

Id like some more power than 33 bhp, but not a engine that needs reving like the 1293, i would want about 60-80 bhp reliable, and something that fits in the hole.

So atm, fave idea is; LOL!

998 turbo. Now im not into all this turbo stuff, and its not going to be a look at me car, its going to be a clean example of an advantage with the wrong seats in it ! but as original as i can. With the 998 turbo, if  i make a manifold, and use the garrett 1544 turbo it should aparently fit with no bulkhead mods. I have bought the turbo, i do have the 998 already, i have a 12g940 to fit, the only bits i dont have so far is the plenum, and the ignition management. looking at speeduino, but dont know yet.

ive been told the 998 will take 80-90 bhp no problems, but i wont be hammering the car at all, just using the power to overtake or what ever. WOnt be spinning the wheels like a tool. plus ive never had a turbo car before.

hmm, what will it be!?

IMG_20191101_170159847.jpg

thought id share this too on my thread , had to do the cam timing on my bmw today, its got a volvo b230 engine in it, ive had it built and i have fitted a cometic head gasket to it, that has taken 0.7mm from the head height, and skimmed the head 1.1mm. Its not about 11:1. But the thing is, i did the cam timing, was really worried about finding tdc accuratly and my mate gave me this tip you may also may like to know

get an old plug, smash the inner out, and weld a nut to it

IMG_20191101_101150149.jpg

then put a bolt threw, so it hits the piston at tdc, then turn the engine a bit, and screw it in a few turns. Now bring the engine slowly up to tdc and itll hit the bolt, mark the position, turn the engine the other way, mark the position, then half the gap and then you have true tdc for when you are timing in your camshaft.

The cam had 3.5mm lift at tdc in my engine, got the dti on it and measured it and set it on the adjustable pulley. Started the car and its sounded mint.

hope that helps someone reading!

#269 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 04:46 PM

its been a while since having time to do the mini, other cars i have need work too so...

i did a little on the mini today, welded the rear seat and bins in..

IMG_20191221_145016227.jpg

im hoping to get it a lot further on very soon, want to get it to work and painted early next year. there isnt that much welding left to do, need to drill for the wheel arches etc and stone chip underneath soon.

#270 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 10:33 PM

so, there is that saying, if a jobs worth doing, do it right...

.. and im more like do it 3-4 times; even a blind pig and find a truffle once in a while ..

Door... Its been annoying me for ages, the check strap dosnt line up;

IMG_20191227_164206116.jpg

so , i had a bit of think why, maybe the post was in the wrong position, ive renewed that, so? I used my di grinder to slot the hinge holes, and it was fitting better, but it was also when closing pushing on the post. So one thing for this.

IMG_20191227_172901466.jpg

Door skin off, it wasnt right, i wasnt happy with it. I had done the door when the car was outside i think, when the 30 was in the garage so i was getting on with something. But its just not right.

I started slitting bits of the door, and trying to get it something like

IMG_20191227_172918863.jpg

not so happy with that repair part there , need to make that a bit better

IMG_20191227_172926383.jpg

and after a few big hits with a hammer and chisel on the door post, its not far off.

IMG_20191227_172931981.jpg

going to look at this in more detail tomorrow.

going to start looking into making the manifold for the little turbo soon, if anyone has any pointers on that let me know, ive a good friend at AG-BG tuning who has given me some good advice already on the turbo side of things, but has never done a mini.

cheers... ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users