#1 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:37 PM

So I'm sure there are plenty of threads on here about this but I still cant seem to find an answer.

I'm at the point where I have a bunch of new panels that need to go on the car. However I don't know what to coat the parts of them that are not getting painted with e.g the underside of floor panels, inside the wings etc. Pretty much any surface that wont see any paint from a respray, as they arrived as matt and gloss black surfaces.

Now with all that can anyone suggest the best way of doing this and with what, Stonechip, waxoyl, a tin of black paint to brush on?

My gues is that the need to be primered and maybe sprayed black if there going on the underside then stonechip followed by waxoyl?

Im pretty clueless and whilst were on the subject my subframes are bare metal right now and with no money for powder coating can anyone suggest the best protection to get a nice glossy black finish?

Thanks, any help would be most appreciated

#2 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:18 AM

I, like lots of members on here,  use all Bilt Hamber products if possible. Electrox is a zinc spray that can be over-coated with all sorts of paint, but can be left as is, or even polished to a dull sheen.

Have a read of the spec and see what you think. http://www.bilthamber.com

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:45 AM

lol of mine have been epoxy primed then stonechip followed by topcoat.
If the panels are Magnum you need to remove the coating, it's rubbish and will cause issues. Heritage I thoroughly check for spider tracks or rust before keying, then epoxy prime etc etc.

If in doubt remove the coating then go from there.

Subframes, a lot of people swear by Por15

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users