35 replies to this topic

#1 pauldridge

pauldridge

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:32 AM

When I got my  Mini SPI (with A/C), it had been horribly neglected (mechanically) by the P.O. After resolving the most immediate issues (seriously leaking water pump, fuel sender unit inop, dead radio, and intermittent A/C) I could turn my attention to the engine.
From the beginning, the car would sometimes be hard to start, frequently would die at idle, and suffered from occasional diminishing of power at higher rpms.

I decided to spring for the Android-based Mems_Diag, available on Google play. I went ahead and bought the "paid" version, since it was only about $8 US and I thought the developer deserved a few bucks for his efforts.

To make the Mems_Diag work with your Android device, you need the APP, the special 3-pin SPI diagnostic cable (with standard USB on the other end), and then an inexpensive adapter to convert the "old-style) USB plug to match the USB jack on your phone/tablet. If you have the MPI system with the OBDII-style plug under the dash, those cables are also available, just do a search on Google or eBay. There are also online schematics showing you how to wire up the 3-pin SPI connector, but I figured by the time I acquired the parts, and interjecting another variable into the system, I was better off purchasing a ready-made cable (seems like it was about 40 GBP)

To be honest, I really wasn't expecting any results from this system, and, in fact, when I first hooked it up, all I got was an "unable to connect" message. I emailed the developer (Pawel?) and he suggested I check that I had selected the correct MEMS version in the software. Turns out, my system is version 1.6, and the default setting is version 1.9. Soon as I changed that, Eureka! I started getting all sorts of real time data. There is an error code section, and I discovered the ECU was complaining about no Intake Air Temp (IAt) signal.

I dutifully pulled out the sensor (underneath the air filter), cleaned it good with carb cleaner, reinstalled it, and the error code went away!

Then Pawel suggested I make a small tweak to the idle timing adjustment and one other since-forgotten parameter.. Damn, that car is running perfectly now. The idle does now automatically adjust when the A/C engages (it would kill the engine before), and all seems well.

I should mention that I have replaced those 3 vacuum pipes that the MEMS depends on, and that perhaps contributed to my success as well.

I can't say enough good things about Mems_Diag and the support I've received from the developer!

Edited by pauldridge, 29 August 2017 - 01:12 PM.

#2 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:49 AM

And if you save a log-file you can send this to your pc.Then you may have a look to all values and analize it by means of mems-analyzer!

#3 Benga

Benga

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:38 PM

Does this effectively replace a code reader for the SPI/MPI? Seems a cheap way to get a fault code reader if so! It might be worth picking up a cheap android phone to use it if thats the case :)

#4 buznout

buznout

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:35 PM

I built a cable last week then used the MEMS-Rosco program to have a look for the sensors and any fault codes. Waiting to borrow an Android tablet to have a play with Mems_Diag over the weekend I hope.

Not sure if they replace the dedicated tools but these programs seem pretty comprehensive. Was able to confirm my lambda probe was operating correctly and that the temp sensors were all good for example. Cleared a fault on the inlet temp sensor also.

#5 Benga

Benga

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:55 PM

Let us know how you get on :)

#6 AeroNotix

AeroNotix

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:15 PM

Can you provide links to the specific cables you bought, please?

#7 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:34 PM

Not sure if it is the same but I just ordered parts to build my own communication cable for my SPi car. User Genpop has his own software and gives great details on building your own cable. Paul, have a look and see if this cable seems like it would work for your setup. I live the idea of using an android device rather then lugging a PC computer in the car with me.

http://alum.wpi.edu/...c-protocol.html

#8 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:22 PM

Hi Brian,

its the sane interface for mems-diag.But in addition you need a so called "OTG-cable" Itts a converting cable from normal usb of the interface to the micro usb socket on the smart-phone.As well the smart-phone has to be capable for an OTG  connection.You can do a log with mems-diag as well.If you switch to administrator mode you may send this logfile to your pc and read it with mems-analyzer (windows-prog) as well.

genpop

#9 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:33 PM

@ AeroNotix

normally those cables work

:https://www.amazon.d...b ttl converter

or google for usb ttl converter

genpop

#10 eric.sen

eric.sen

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:14 PM

For my part,

I have a Sykes ACR4

But if we could find an "App"  Android or IPhone for the MPI engine MEMS 2J protocol

I will buy it as soon as possible !

But how about the OBD2 cable for MPI to USb ?

#11 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:31 PM

I ordered this cable:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LC28G2/

This plug:

http://www.mouser.co...P46pCPSoAJQ0g==

And these pins:

https://www.alliedel...280-1/70284521/

I am wondering if these will build me a cable capable of running into either a computer or a mobile device...Assuming the device has a USB port of course. I'm sure I could get my hands on a PC laptop but with rather a handheld device like a smartphone or android tablet. I'm a Mac/Apple guy so will have to source said device but it will be used solely for my car, ie it will live in the car.

#12 AeroNotix

AeroNotix

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:38 PM

I've got a cable, http://allegro.pl/va...4901320100.html specifically this one because I have an MPI (1998) mini.

I'm running the memsdiag lite app on my phone. I try to connect and it times out. Reading the detailed logs seems like the ECU isn't sending some data that the app expects. I wish there was a proper description of the protocol/serial settings that the ECU needed. Relying on a closed-source app is a bit annoying in all honesty. I'm willing to pay but I'm a programmer myself and I would just prefer to write my own. I've ensured that pins 4+5 are connected together in the cable (missing pin 5 on the 16 pin in-car connector).

I've been playing with the librosco (https://github.com/c...urassa/librosco) library for communicating with the SPI (MEMS 1.6) ecus, and some poking about with the protocol there but no dice.

From looking at the data that memsdiag_lite is sending to the ECU it doesn't look all that different to what librosco is doing.

From what I understand, I have bought the correct cable but I am willing to be corrected. 

Edited by AeroNotix, 22 August 2017 - 08:44 PM.

#13 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:22 AM

@Aeronotix

have a look to this thread:  https://groups.googl...ics/ClOn13oEYyc

in addition, have you set the right ecu-version on the three dots in the upper right corner?

#14 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:32 AM

@Aeronotix

You are a programmer yourself,

so why not downloading the code and programming yourself?

Colin has  his code on the web and mine is on the web too :github com/LeopoldG

Both are open source. Mine is based on Colins librosco and  I wrote it with QT (open source too) but you may enhance it for linux or whatelse .

#15 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:21 AM

Has anone got a standard MPI car to connect with an app..? that would be awesome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users