#1 Laurie

Laurie

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Local Club: GMOC

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:12 PM

The bottom of my 'new' project (1971 mini) is smothered in underseal, I'm of a dilemma to keep or remove to be honest
Both options have their pros and cons, on the plus side it helps protect the bottom of the car from certain damage. On the minus side it hides a few sins as well- rust/ appalling welding and so on.

So...what do you think of it?

#2 Matt.L

Matt.L

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:28 PM

Personally I'd get rid of it and stone chip the underneath then top with the paint colour of the car. Leaves a much cleaner finish:)

#3 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:24 PM

my current mini was and is plastered with under seal and im in the process of cleaning it off.

all i can say is, where it has stayed undamaged it has protected the car very well, but where it has let the water through ( rear valence closing panels) its a bloody mess !!!

#4 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:03 PM

As above, highly unlikely it's all intact. Any small areas that have detached from the underside will be concealing corrosion. If you have the time and patience, strip it off. If not, keep an eye on it, scrape off loose stuff as it appears, use a rust killer on the exposed metal, and then a decent underseal like Bilt Hamber UB.

#5 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:13 PM

I say get rid! What appears to be a perfectly in tact layer of underseal can conceal a whole load of horrors that are silently rotting away underneath.

#6 Neville1971

Neville1971

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Local Club: Trying to find them

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:46 AM

What is the best method of removing old underseal?

Wire brush, scraper, sanding?

Using a drill, grinder, by hand, compressed air tools?

It's the next job unfortunately

#7 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:40 PM

Heat gun and scraper works well

#8 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:49 PM

Sometimes it can be softened by White Spirit but I don't know how you would keep the underside wet for long enough unless the shell is on a spit. It may be useful locally if you work it in with a stiff brush.

Sad to say, underseal was a short term bodger's remedy, like oversills, but it is still sold and most people including many garage mechanics have no appreciation of the long term harm it always causes.

It is best to rely on a full paint process, starting ideally with zinc, or more likely an etch primer, followed by an epoxy primer, before applying stonechip. I fear that stonechip on its own may turn out to be as bad as underseal, as is powder coat once it is damaged. But you don't need a high build primer and lots of flatting under stone chip. Doubtless some real fanatic somewhere would....

Please wear a disposable hat and face protection as you are going to get very mucky. Sadly there is no fun to be had in removing underseal.

#9 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,900 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 01 August 2017 - 04:18 PM

If the car was Ziebarted from new like mine was then there is every chance rust will have worked its way in (its never guaranteed for life.) Mine scraped off as it was hard then washed over with celly thinners.

My clubby once cleaned off and repairs done, everything was sprayed in Epoxy primer, then followed by 3 coats of stone chip. Not heavy coats though. Then it will be topcoated.

#10 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 04:47 PM

Hot air gun, but instead of scraping off while hot and gooey, try allowing it to cool and repeat a few times over a few days. Whatever makes it sticky is driven out by the heat and the sealant becomes more brittle and easier to chip off. Do a small area at a time. Slow dull job.

#11 Neville1971

Neville1971

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Local Club: Trying to find them

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:48 AM

Thanks for the replies.

No one is selling this job to me but it has to be done :lol: .

I'm just waiting for my father-in-law to empty his garage so I can get her over the pit (Which hasn't been used for countless yeas apparently so that will be fun in itself)

#12 Laurie

Laurie

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:33 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I'm just waiting for my father-in-law to empty his garage so I can get her over the pit (Which hasn't been used for countless yeas apparently so that will be fun in itself)

Just watch out for the massive hairy spiders that will grab you by the throat and try and suck the life out of you lol!

#13 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts
  • Local Club: IMOC-Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:55 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Just watch out for the massive hairy spiders that will grab you by the throat and try and suck the life out of you lol!

awful thing to call a mother in law!

#14 Laurie

Laurie

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:06 PM

Thanks for the replies.

awful thing to call a mother in law!

Hahahaha! That really made me laugh out loud lol 😂

#15 Stu.

Stu.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:15 PM

Underseal products are not the problem. The problem is that most folks think one application will last 5 years. 

It needs to be cleaned off and re-applied very regularly, most likely twice to three times a year.

Even when driving only in the dry, underseal will be eroded from the base of the inner wings and sill fronts due to dry road dirt from the roadwheels.

Regular inspection and re-application is the key.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users