Photo

Mot Fail On Co2

Best Answer Nu2mini , 16 August 2017 - 01:25 PM

When you've changed the Pipes I'd also recommend you check the vacuum servo on the air box. To do this take the car for a run until warm, then leave the engine running. Carefully insert a long screw driver or similar into the intake in the air box. When warm the 'Probe' should freely pass into the air box. Insert the probe gently. If you hit something halfway along the intake the butterfly flap is not opening and you are drawing warm air in from the exhaust manifold (5 on the diagram). A common fix to this is to unplug the vacuum pipe (Yellow) off the top of the airbox and plug the end of the pipe. You can leave the airbox end open. With this configuration the servo should not operate the butterfly which should stay permanently open. I run my car permanently like this

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 MCMC

MCMC

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:07 PM

Hello. -Seal for air box to throttle body PNH10011.
I'm Replacing vacuum plpes etc as suggested but this seal is perished and Mini Spares/ sport no longer stock them any ideas ( none on eBay).
Should I replace the oxygen IAT green sensor as well it looks ok but the is original.
Thanks again.

#17 Nu2mini

Nu2mini

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:25 PM   Best Answer

When you've changed the Pipes I'd also recommend you check the vacuum servo on the air box. To do this take the car for a run until warm, then leave the engine running. Carefully insert a long screw driver or similar into the intake in the air box. When warm the 'Probe' should freely pass into the air box. Insert the probe gently. If you hit something halfway along the intake the butterfly flap is not opening and you are drawing warm air in from the exhaust manifold (5 on the diagram). A common fix to this is to unplug the vacuum pipe (Yellow) off the top of the airbox and plug the end of the pipe. You can leave the airbox end open. With this configuration the servo should not operate the butterfly which should stay permanently open. I run my car permanently like this

#18 MCMC

MCMC

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:49 PM

Hi. Now have new fuel trap. - which way round does it go, green connection left or right? Under the airbox there's two connections for vacuum pipes together, which way round do they go ?
Thanks. Hope this fixes the CO emissions can't afford to keep re MOT ing ! Jon.

#19 MCMC

MCMC

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:52 PM

Hello mini experts. Please help with previous post re fuel trap/ vacuum pipes. Ta

#20 hunterg30

hunterg30

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:33 PM

Attached File  spi.jpg   26.35K   21 downloads

#21 MCMC

MCMC

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:54 AM

Thanks for the diagram but still can't see which way round the fuel trap goes, green connector left or right ? And vacuum pipes into airbox underside? Cheers.

#22 hunterg30

hunterg30

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:51 PM

On mine the green on the fuel trap is connected to the ecu. The other connects to the intake manifold . And the other pie connects from the intake manifold to the air box . The other connects from under the air box to the vacuum servo on the air box the pipe on mine for this is yellow

#23 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:02 PM

Look in the pinned section there is a picture posted of the fuel trap.

FS

#24 MCMC

MCMC

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:23 PM

Have looked closely at pics of fuel trap but can't make out which is the green connection left or right, as it's already connected.

Jon

#25 hunterg30

hunterg30

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:23 PM

The legs on the fuel trap are normally green one side and black the other side. Try cleaning the legs .Green connects to ecu

#26 MCMC

MCMC

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:36 PM

Green to ecu -all I needed thanks. Jon.

#27 MCMC

MCMC

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:39 AM

Hi again. All vacuum pipes and fuel trap replaced but when engine is fully warm the flap in the air intake stays shut.
If I pull the yellow vacuum pipe off it snaps open, is this a Thermic valve fault. The car failed mots on CO very high.
Can I run the car with is disconnected ( yellow pipe ) or does the Thermic valve control other things.
Thanks. Jon.

#28 hunterg30

hunterg30

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:22 PM

There was a post on how to test this valve and  I think it was by Sprocket he has done a section all about SPI and well worth reading.

when people change their air box to a K&N filter they  put a bung in the red vacuum pipe, so it should be ok to bung the end of the yellow pipe you see at the top of the air filter box, you can't leave pipes to suck in air.

#29 MCMC

MCMC

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

Hi. All vacuum pipes and fuel trap replaced. The K&N filter is the same shape as original and fits in the original air box and is clean/oiled.
So do I disconnect the yellow pipe to air inlet top or not ? Then blank it off. ? The airbox inlet stays shut even when the car is up to temperature but opens when I pull off the yellow pipe from the air inlet as some suggest, but will this upset the rest of the ECU/thermac valve as this valve is also connected to the manifold. ....should I replace the thermac valve - although it seems to be NLA.
Thanks for all help with this conundrum. Jon.

#30 tangowhisky77

tangowhisky77

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:36 PM

from the linked page:

There are 4 vacuum pipes on the single point injection car. 

MLH10022 Which has angled ends,fitted from inlet manifold to fuel trap. 

MLH10022ECU to fuel trap. 
PHP10027Air box underside to airbox hot air control valve. 
NPC10001fuel trap.

PHP10043 VACUUM PIPE- FITS TO SPI AIR BOX to THROTTLE BODY (RED)

For single point injection cars only.

And another diagram

spi.jpg

I don't suppose there is one of those diagrams for MPi?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users