25 replies to this topic

#16 Mervyn

Mervyn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:22 PM

If you are relatively inexperienced, CO2 is much more difficult to use than argon/5% CO2. The mixture is much more controllable and gives better looking welds. Other mixtures fine tune the ferocity and stability of the arc and depth of penetration, but argon/5% CO2 turns out to be best for thin sheet steel.

Co2 is hardly any different, we're not welding a nuclear containment vessel.. why exaggerate?

He'll be fine with pure co2 and obviously just starting out, why spend all that money on rental and gas, for a little hobby migging? I've used argon mix when co2 has run out, it's just not that noticeable on the short weld bursts used on minis

Merv

#17 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,889 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:30 PM

I'm not the greatest of welders and still learning. However, I use hobbyweld 5 and getting great results after a fair bit of practice!

#18 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,896 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:39 PM

If you are relatively inexperienced, CO2 is much more difficult to use than argon/5% CO2. The mixture is much more controllable and gives better looking welds. Other mixtures fine tune the ferocity and stability of the arc and depth of penetration, but argon/5% CO2 turns out to be best for thin sheet steel.

Co2 is hardly any different, we're not welding a nuclear containment vessel.. why exaggerate?

He'll be fine with pure co2 and obviously just starting out, why spend all that money on rental and gas, for a little hobby migging? I've used argon mix when co2 has run out, it's just not that noticeable on the short weld bursts used on minis

Merv

I used nothing but pub gas for a very long time, never ever had an issue with it. Decent welds, decent penetration. More than good enough for MOT's and the German TUV test as well.

I used to get the biggest bottle possible from the NAAFI which at the time (early 90's in Germany) was the easiest route for obtaining it. 3 years of welding for TUV tests and BFG.

#19 mini_matt_106

mini_matt_106

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:38 PM

Thank you all for your input! I've been on this forum a long time and there seemed to be a lot less people active here than a few years ago but you lot have restored my faith in the forum :)

#20 mini_matt_106

mini_matt_106

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:36 PM

One more question, I was going to buy a regulator tonight, but are they all the same? There seem to be sideways ones and upright ones

#21 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:59 AM

I found using a flow gauge regulator the best as you don't waste gas by having excessive flow from using a pressure gauge type.

(It's the type with a little clear tower with a ball floating on the gas)

#22 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,896 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:30 AM

To be honest, if your gauges are knackered then a gentle hiss of gas is all you need inside. No howling gale as you will burn through your gas supply. Upright will be fine.

#23 mini_matt_106

mini_matt_106

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:14 PM

I found using a flow gauge regulator the best as you don't waste gas by having excessive flow from using a pressure gauge type.
(It's the type with a little clear tower with a ball floating on the gas)

Wish I'd read this 10mins ago! Would've saved a tenner! Oh well.

#24 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:35 PM

To be honest, if your gauges are knackered then a gentle hiss of gas is all you need inside. No howling gale as you will burn through your gas supply. Upright will be fine.

Thats all I have ever done too ... only thing to make sure is that the wire does not poke you in the ear when sticking the gun near your ear and pressing the trigger:-)

#25 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:50 PM

Thats all I have ever done too ... only thing to make sure is that the wire does not poke you in the ear when sticking the gun near your ear and pressing the trigger:-)

Too funny!!!

#26 mini_matt_106

mini_matt_106

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:05 PM

Hahaha brilliant!!
I went for co2 because it's local and cheap!
BD887053-9632-4547-9031-7938B6D31F15_zps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users