18 replies to this topic

#1 MikeR

MikeR

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:41 PM

Hi everybody I am new to the forum and new to Minis, but I decided to jump in the deep end with this build.  I will be converting my 1275GT Clubman to an AWD B16. I ordered the All-Wheel-Drive Subframe Kit (includes Custom rear subframe, upper and lower a-arm suspension,  body modification panels, 400hp rated rear axle shafts, and an anti-sway bar. Lower suspension arms include camber and alignment cam-type adjustors) and the MTB2 Engine Package (includes Honda B16 VTEC Engine/Transmission, B2 Aluminum Radiator Kit, Poly Engine Mount Kit, Superbrake Kit, Swivels Hubs, Drive Flanges, B2 Axle Upgrade, S Coil-Over Shock Kit, B16 Chipped ECU, B Wiring Harness, shifter, Super Brake kit, and Silicone Intake Hose kit) from Ben at SuperFastMinis.com (by the way they have been awesome with answering my never ending questions and give me a great price because I bought everything at one time). I have to source the transmission with inner front and rear cv joints, shifter with linkage cables, main driveshafts, and rear differential from a 1996-2001 CRV as well as rear hubs, rear outer cv joints, and disc brake components from a 1990-1997 Miata. I ordered all the parts from the CRV out of Minnesota and should be here in a week or two and I ordered parts from SuperFastMinis about 3 weeks ago and should also be here in about a week. I still need to order the Miata parts (after I verify what all constitutes "disc brake components" so I don't miss something and I need to order a new clutch/throwout bearing (to be safe and because the tranny is out) and maybe a lightened flywheel. 

I will be the first to admit that I am probably over my head on this project but I have the help of one of my friends who is pretty smart and a shop with a lift and a ton of tools. I will have to outsource some of the work, like welding the trunk floor back in, because I do not have the expertise. Overall I hope to do as much of it myself as I can. 

Here is the car

Attached File  1981-leyland-clubman-1275gt-1.jpg   54.28K   16 downloads

Motor before it was pulled (and sold)

Attached File  IMG_1543.PNG   53.94K   10 downloads

I will be working on this when I can but am fairly busy and I will update with photos as I go along. 

#2 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:55 PM

dont do it to a 1275gt mate there gonna be the next cooper s you will regret it, do it to a normal clubman

#3 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:57 PM

If it's a genuine 1275GT you'll never forgive yourself. I like your plans but please don't do it to a genuine one.

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:46 PM

I love your project and am looking forward to it progressing, however, to echo Graham's and Northerpower's comments, find a 'base model' Mini to do it with, the 1275GTs are worth a bit of money now and are only going one way in value and desirability.

#5 MikeR

MikeR

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:37 PM

I forgot to add some additional photos:

Trunk with Gas Tank, Spare Tire, and Battery Removed

Attached File  Cooper Trunk.png   593.98K   6 downloads

Inside the Engine Bay

Attached File  Cooper Bonnet.png   695.19K   7 downloads

Back Seats Re-upholstered 

Attached File  IMG_1273.JPG   49.98K   4 downloads

#6 MikeR

MikeR

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:48 PM

If it's a genuine 1275GT you'll never forgive yourself. I like your plans but please don't do it to a genuine one.

Forgive the noob-ness, how would I verify if it is genuine or not? I got a great price on this car and sold the motor for close to what I paid for it and after driving it with the stock motor, while peppy, it was not going to meet what I wanted for power. Also it being a clubman and not the round nose give me extra engine bay space so I do not have to put the flip front on it.  

#7 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:59 PM

Forgive the noob-ness, how would I verify if it is genuine or not? I got a great price on this car and sold the motor for close to what I paid for it and after driving it with the stock motor, while peppy, it was not going to meet what I wanted for power. Also it being a clubman and not the round nose give me extra engine bay space so I do not have to put the flip front on it.  
What is it listed as, on your vehicle title documents?

As a double check there are members on here who will be able to identify it from the chassis number. Just don't go and type it out.

#8 MikeR

MikeR

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:11 PM

What is it listed as, on your vehicle title documents?

As a double check there are members on here who will be able to identify it from the chassis number. Just don't go and type it out.

1980 Leyland Clubman 1275GT is what the Title says

#9 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:17 AM

It sounds as though its a genuine 1275GT. You're obviously free to do whatever you want to do with it but I would consider returning it to 1275GT spec and if you don't like it or can't afford to run/store a second Mini selling it on. As already stated they are rapidly climbing in value and will become extremely valuable.

If there is any way of finding another clubman to do the conversion on then I would suggest going down that route. It sounds like a really good conversion but you don't need a guaranteed investment vehicle to enable you to complete it.

Good luck with whatever you decide; I'll enjoy reading how the work progresses.

#10 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:16 PM

Have you thought of registering your car with 'The mini cooper register' in particular the '1275GT section'?

#11 MikeR

MikeR

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:32 PM

Got some parts in. All the bits for the AWD portion that SuperFast Minis doesn't provide. 

I am going to spend some time cleaning everything off and repainting it. Also, yesterday, I ordered a new throwout bearing, pilot bearing, input shaft seal, output shaft seal, lightened flywheel, and a stage 1.5 clutch. So when those arrive I will rebuild the tranny.

I also received new door seals, dome light, and windshield fluid nozzles. I am not in a hurry to replace them on the car but will do it if there is a point where I am waiting on parts or something.  I will take some more pictures when I clean and paint the AWD parts. 

Attached Files

#12 MikeR

MikeR

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:13 PM

Little Update:

I drove down to Super Fast Minis headquarters and picked up a bunch of parts. I got the front and rear subframes as well as the motor. Ben replaced the wires/plugs, water pump, thermostat, and some of the seals/gaskets on the motor before I picked it up as well as cleaning and painting the motor.  It is hard to tell but the engine harness is already installed (as much as it can be while out of the car) and tucked. I had planned on getting the rear subframe in this weekend but I forgot to order the coil-overs for the front and the rear (the old shocks will not fit) so those will come in next week.

There are only a few more parts I am waiting on that I have already ordered:

-Wilwood Pedals - Next Week

-Coil-overs - Next Week

-B2 Axles - No ETA

-13" Tires and Wheels (the 12" Wheels will be for sale as soon as the others come in, the discs are too large for the 12" Wheels) - Next Week

-Rear Miata Disc Brakes - Next Week

-Rear Miata Axles

I still need to order:

-Fuel Cell

-Fuel Pump

-AN fittings and lines

-Instrument Cluster

-And some other odds and ends

Maybe tomorrow I will cut out the trunk floor, install the flywheel and clutch onto the motor, and remove the remaining pieces from the engine bay. 

Attached Files

#13 MikeR

MikeR

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:26 PM

Today I removed the remaining wiring harness from the interior of the car, removed the brake booster from the engine bay and did the first pass on cutting out the trunk/boot. I was planning on working on the car for 4 days straight next weekend but the shop that I am using will only be available on Thursday. What could have been an opportunity to complete a lot of work turned into a weekend where nothing can be done. Hopefully I will get out of class early on Thursday so I can get something done. 

Attached Files

#14 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 04:12 PM

Did this get finished?

#15 hotroder69

hotroder69

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:29 PM

I'm doing the same with a pickup. I will be interested seeing more picts. Great work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users