#1 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:29 PM

I posted this in a thread the other day but I thought it merited it's own thread.

Sick of the drips of oil on the parking bay outside the house Professor Pete put his thinking trousers on and came up with this:

b78G6JW.jpg

You can just about make out the inset bronze bush.

Which fits on the back of the 'box like so:

6BMGHgS.jpg

Ignore the old roll pin system, that's gone.

The seal is a fork seal which is designed for twisting and back and forth movement, again from simplybearings.  Should be an improvement on the commonly sold 'repair kit'

The roll pin has been replaced with a UJ and grub screw:

p1KjtAk.jpg

It's all hidden from the world by a PVC hose:

eornpMU.jpg

The insert in alloy housing is long enough so that the hose can be slid back from the UJ end for removal.  If it does leak it'll be collected in the hose which we'll be able to see.

#2 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:49 AM

The u-joint alone should help matters, taking out all the odd angles caused by moving the shift lever around and engine movement and therefore lessening the wear on the seal. Let us know if you can feel any improvement or even change in the feel of the shifter, please.....

also can you give a source and part number for the u-joint?

Did you have to shorten the shift lever, and if so by how much?

Edited by Magneto, 04 August 2017 - 02:51 AM.

#3 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• Members
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:17 AM

The UJ is this one: https://www.carbuild...rsal-joint-75mm  Nothing very special.  We're yet to try it 'in car' - the 'box is empty as we've been waiting on some bits.  It'll be getting built up over the next week.

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:08 PM

Great ideas and superb work there Tim & Prof. Pete.

Looking forward to seeing your longer term results with this set up, as feel as the feel of the shift. It's gotta be better than the factory set up.

I think too, having a simple grub screw to fix the coupling has got to be better than bashing a pin in, not just for the ease of fitting up (and also taking apart) but also to save the casing from distortion that only leads to and exacerbates leakage. Something I've often looked at but never got around to trying (other than on the 4WD Gearbox).

Bet you can't wait to fit it all up and try it out :D

#5 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• Members
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:46 AM

Too right there cobber!  Not just this mod, itching to try out the newly re DU bushed selector housing too.

Jeez, the car's been off the road since May 5th.  I normally drive every day to work and back and everything in between - I'm really missing it!  

#6 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• Members
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:59 PM

Added another element to this.  Even though it's a really nice fit, there is a o-ring on the outside, a twin lip seal on the inside and it is stuck in with some high tech goo, Pete decided it needed a physical brace (belt and braces, haha) so he fashioned up a stainless steel bracket that bolts onto the back of the 'box:

bIwZOL4.jpg

#7 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• Members
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:16 PM

4000 miles and not a trace of a leak :-)

#8 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• Members
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:08 PM

The u-joint alone should help matters, taking out all the odd angles caused by moving the shift lever around and engine movement and therefore lessening the wear on the seal. Let us know if you can feel any improvement or even change in the feel of the shifter, please.....

also can you give a source and part number for the u-joint?

Did you have to shorten the shift lever, and if so by how much?

Great ideas and superb work there Tim & Prof. Pete.

Looking forward to seeing your longer term results with this set up, as feel as the feel of the shift. It's gotta be better than the factory set up.

I think too, having a simple grub screw to fix the coupling has got to be better than bashing a pin in, not just for the ease of fitting up (and also taking apart) but also to save the casing from distortion that only leads to and exacerbates leakage. Something I've often looked at but never got around to trying (other than on the 4WD Gearbox).

Like I say, I've done around 4000 miles with it now. The shift was a little stiffer than 'standard' (I've never tried a brand new a-series gearbox) from the off and I'd say it's hardly any different now.  Not a drop of oil has leaked :-)  it really is a good mod.

#9 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:20 PM

a neat solution, which IMO rather than keeping the oil in... keeps the crap out! :D

#10 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:32 PM

Like I say, I've done around 4000 miles with it now. The shift was a little stiffer than 'standard' (I've never tried a brand new a-series gearbox) from the off and I'd say it's hardly any different now.  Not a drop of oil has leaked :-)  it really is a good mod.

You could probably loose the PVC Hose as it's shown not to leak. It might take some of that stiffness out of it.

#11 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• Members
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:34 AM

You could probably loose the PVC Hose as it's shown not to leak. It might take some of that stiffness out of it.

Good thinking Batman, I'll likely try it next time it's apart. 

#12 leyland73

leyland73

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:54 AM

Great idea this, would you consider getting this into production as a replacement kit with the likes of minispares, or through direct from yourself, for as this modification would benefit mini owners and their driveways everywhere!

#13 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• Members
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:16 AM

Great idea this, would you consider getting this into production as a replacement kit with the likes of minispares, or through direct from yourself, for as this modification would benefit mini owners and their driveways everywhere!

Um, I'd  measure it up and put the dimensions on this thread if anyone was interested. I didn't do it for commercial gain, just to get rid of the drips.

#14 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:11 PM

Um, I'd  measure it up and put the dimensions on this thread if anyone was interested. I didn't do it for commercial gain, just to get rid of the drips.

i'm interested in what seems to be the solution to a 60year old problem.  don't have a lathe myself, but i'm sure i can find someone to make me one up one of these marvels (..and machine the UJ too..) if i had the dimensions - details of which fork seal you ordered from simplybearings would be handy too if you've got it to hand

thanks

#15 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• Members
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:37 AM

This is the seal we went for: https://simplybearin...oduct_info.html

Seems to be working perfectly :-)

*Edit: fixed link*

Edited by Mini Manannán, 24 April 2018 - 12:11 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users